Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Red dot vs iron sight gun...

My dot journey is still in it's infancy. But for me, one of the most remarkable things about the dot is my ability to call my shots.

With irons, because of poor vision, shot calling is mainly guess work. But with a dot-equipped pistol, I recently engaged a 8" see-and-shoot target at 15 yards and, lo and behold, the impacts appeared exactly where the dot was located when the shot broke. It was slightly mind boggling to see the relationship between POA and POI in real time.
    Dots help you become a better shooter. If nothing else they demonstrate the importance of trigger control and good triggers. I don't have any dots on anything I might carry but I put one on a MKII and one on a 625. 50 yrds is doable now. I'm considering buying a 6" 44 mag, either a S&W or Colt, and putting a dot it. I think that would be a fun 50 yd. revolver.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-05-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Dots help you become a better shooter. If nothing else they demonstrate the importance of trigger control and good triggers. I don't have any dots on anything I might carry but I put one on a MKII and one on a 625. 50 yrds is doable now. I'm considering buying a 6" 44 mag, either a S&W or Colt, and putting a dot it. I think that would be a fun 50 yd. revolver.
    I just mounted a 507c on my Smith 29 and can pretty much assure you you'll have fun. Even at 100 yds a 12" plate is in grave danger (ok, not certain death) now that I can wear my glasses to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I just mounted a 507c on my Smith 29 and can pretty much assure you you'll have fun. Even at 100 yds a 12" plate is in grave danger (ok, not certain death) now that I can wear my glasses to shoot!
    Can you post a pic of that? I'm still in the research phase of which revolver to purchase. All of my revolvers are S&W and I was looking at 629's. Did you have to have your top strap drilled and tapped for a mount? I wasn't aware of 29's coming from the factory drilled and tapped. I know some 629 Classics did from about -3. I don't want to have to pay a gun smith to do that work. There aren't any around here anyway that I would trust. A Colt Anaconda is still an option but Allchin doesn't make a mount and I don't know who does. I have an Allchin mount on my 625-8.

I just glanced at these last two posts and I'm inspired to mount a dot on my 1911 with 22lr conversion. It's otherwise identical to my competition 9mm 1911: 3 lb-ish trigger and I modified a Bladetech holster to accept the slightly wider slide. I tried it with irons for practice but there is zero recoil even compared to the powder-puff loads I use in competition; just not an enjoyable experience. My nemesis during transitions is relaxing the slight cam in my support arm which produces a slight rotation of my left hand which results in high misses. This would be more obvious with a dot. I'll try this on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Can you post a pic of that? I'm still in the research phase of which revolver to purchase. All of my revolvers are S&W and I was looking at 629's. Did you have to have your top strap drilled and tapped for a mount? I wasn't aware of 29's coming from the factory drilled and tapped. I know some 629 Classics did from about -3. I don't want to have to pay a gun smith to do that work. There aren't any around here anyway that I would trust. A Colt Anaconda is still an option but Allchin doesn't make a mount and I don't know who does. I have an Allchin mount on my 625-8.
    Name:  IMG_4069.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  50.1 KB

This 29-2 had been drilled and tapped at some point but i wasn't even sure what base would match the holes. I wanted to use a Weigand Weigatiny base as it is shorter and perfect for a Holosun or other smaller red dot. For an Ultradot, the Weaver base as shown is great. My local club has a good gun smith and a very experienced machinist. The machinist took my Smith home and returned it with a base drilled to match the holes in the frame. I was not familiar with the Allchin base so looked it up. I see why you prefer it, good looking set up.

Should have added that i think a 629 would be an excellent candidate. My 629 is the only Smith that came factory drilled but its a Mountain Gun so I want to keep it streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Name:  IMG_4069.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  50.1 KB

This 29-2 had been drilled and tapped at some point but i wasn't even sure what base would match the holes. I wanted to use a Weigand Weigatiny base as it is shorter and perfect for a Holosun or other smaller red dot. For an Ultradot, the Weaver base as shown is great. My local club has a good gun smith and a very experienced machinist. The machinist took my Smith home and returned it with a base drilled to match the holes in the frame. I was not familiar with the Allchin base so looked it up. I see why you prefer it, good looking set up.
    Thanks. I'll probably look for a 629 Classic. I would be happy if could shoot that well.

My wife shot an awesome match this weekend -- ten stages, no penalties.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Superb shooting by the wife, sir!
    I had to look back these 25 pages, and you started this in 2018. I had started to run dots in our department and have not looked back very hard. I shoot irons for qualifying, but pretty much carry a dot equipped GLOCK these days.
    Todd Jarret, of IPSC World Championship fame, once remarked that shooting a dot probably helped with shooting irons-that’s ben echoed here.
    Anecdotal experience from weekend GSSF: 2 guns I carry fairly frequently-sometimes both at once: a 43XMOS w/407k green T&E Holosun and a G26 w/BOLD sights(orange front night sights). Over the same course of fire, both yielded nearly identical scores-slight edge to the dot gun.
    What was interesting was my perception that the dot was “easier”, and I was more conscious of downrange occurrences. For example, on the plate rack stage, I was conscious of clearly seeing an edge hit on a plate and its “wobble”. Pretty sure it would have taken longer to perceive with irons due to having to shift focus.
    So,(duh) dots are better…

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife shot an awesome match this weekend -- ten stages, no penalties.

Outstanding shooting by Charlie.

Refresh my memory . . . . what pistol and optic is she shooting in the viseo?

User Tag List