Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

@MinisterMalice recently had his suppressor sights milled down so the bottom of the notch was flush with the RMR base. Kind of a lower 1/3 sight picture. I’m not an RDS guy yet but that seems like a really good idea to me.

BTW MM, how’s that working for you?
    David S.

Normally, when I am shooting as fast as possible, trigger control, or vision generally, is the limiting factor. When I am shooting as fast a possible with an RMR, the RMR becomes the limiting factor.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife has been shooting USPSA since May, in Limited minor with a Glock 34. Late last week, she started shooting her same 34 lower with a DP Pro, to help her iron sight shooting. Almost immediately, it helped her shot calling.

Sunday, she shot her first match with a dot to provide some match stress using the optic, and really enjoyed it. Her overall match placement was about ten percent higher than withna 34 with iron sights. Today, all she wanted to shoot was her dot.

For those of you on the fence about a dot, I think it is very worthwhile no matter whether you are an iron sight shooter or want to migrate to a dot.

Here is my wife’s match video, and she had zero issues acquiring the dot, even on the classifier which involved strings of strong and support hand shooting.
    GJM (or anyone else), I am going to be setting up a dedicated CO gun for myself (my wife has appropriated my RMRd G19.3). I want to stay Glock. What do you think about the G17.5 MOS vs the G34 (whatever Gen) MOS? Obviously the sight radius doesn't really matter. I want a G45 but optics seem to be developing fast enough that I would rather wait for an MOS version of the G45. So for the moment I think I want to get an MOS gun. I also want to get the gun into competition sooner rather than later, so sending it off to be cut doesn't really appeal to me anyway (I am an impatient American).

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    GJM (or anyone else), I am going to be setting up a dedicated CO gun for myself (my wife has appropriated my RMRd G19.3). I want to stay Glock. What do you think about the G17.5 MOS vs the G34 (whatever Gen) MOS? Obviously the sight radius doesn't really matter. I want a G45 but optics seem to be developing fast enough that I would rather wait for an MOS version of the G45. So for the moment I think I want to get an MOS gun. I also want to get the gun into competition sooner rather than later, so sending it off to be cut doesn't really appeal to me anyway (I am an impatient American).
    I think that despite the flat slide cycling benefits of a 45/19X, the actual experience of me, my wife and two other highly skilled shooters I know who have tested the 34 vs a shorter slide, all prefer the 34 with a dot for use in USPSA.

Hammertime
    I think that despite the flat slide cycling benefits of a 45/19X, the actual experience of me, my wife and two other highly skilled shooters I know who have tested the 34 vs a shorter slide, all prefer the 34 with a dot for use in USPSA.
    Is this a reversal of your prior feelings about the 19x/45 with dot?

could you elaborate on why you prefer the 34 for uspsa over other glock models? Going to pick one up and was leaning towards a g19 but wondering if the gen5 g34 would be better

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Is this a reversal of your prior feelings about the 19x/45 with dot?
    I have described this in other threads and several pages ago in this thread. The short slide cycles flatter on things like Garcia dots, but I, and others who have tested, consistently shoot the 34 better across a range of shooting tasks that make up a USPSA match. Every higher level Glock CO shooter I have observed uses a Glock 34 and a DP Pro.

Agreed - longer slides tend to result in less felt/perceived recoil, which also seems to make it easier to track the dot at speed. Weight helps as well. A long slide metal gun sitting right at 42-45 oz would be ideal for USPSA or IDPA CO. These just got re-released today by Tanfoglio ($940): http://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/...eid=a7fbac9bbf. Put a dot on this and you should be in business; you could even start in SA in IDPA. I wouldn't bother milling the slide either. Generally, the lower the dot goes - the more you have to push the gun down or lower your head to find the dot. A key to success in CO is the ability to find the dot immediately, and a slightly higher dot, ie on a dovetail mount, will more closely replicate your normal presentation and be easier to index (I know this goes against conventional wisdom but test for yourself). You will have to sacrifice any idea of co-witnessed irons, but they eventually become a distraction for competition purposes - so no issue. Henning sells a great lightweight mount that serves this purpose well: https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.a...9774&CAT=10066. The plate required for the Glock MOS does push the dot a little higher than a slide mill job, so it is a little easier to pick up. I don't represent any of these companies, just passing on some info that took me a couple years to figure out as I transition to a dot.

Hammertime
    I have described this in other threads and several pages ago in this thread. The short slide cycles flatter on things like Garcia dots, but I, and others who have tested, consistently shoot the 34 better across a range of shooting tasks that make up a USPSA match. Every higher level Glock CO shooter I have observed uses a Glock 34 and a DP Pro.
    Thank you for restating. I remember now...

Quote Originally Posted by jwhitt View Post
    I wouldn't bother milling the slide either. Generally, the lower the dot goes - the more you have to push the gun down or lower your head to find the dot. A key to success in CO is the ability to find the dot immediately, and a slightly higher dot, ie on a dovetail mount, will more closely replicate your normal presentation and be easier to index (I know this goes against conventional wisdom but test for yourself). You will have to sacrifice any idea of co-witnessed irons, but they eventually become a distraction for competition purposes - so no issue. Henning sells a great lightweight mount that serves this purpose well: https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.a...9774&CAT=10066. The plate required for the Glock MOS does push the dot a little higher than a slide mill job, so it is a little easier to pick up. I don't represent any of these companies, just passing on some info that took me a couple years to figure out as I transition to a dot.
    I look forward to experimenting with that! Thanks.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 01-10-2019 at 10:43 AM.

User Tag List