Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Site Supporter
    With the increasing interest in RDS equipped pistols - is there a common point of view which slide/barrel length is "preferred" or "best". In the Glock world, G19 vs G17 vs G34 length for RDS for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    With the increasing interest in RDS equipped pistols - is there a common point of view which slide/barrel length is "preferred" or "best". In the Glock world, G19 vs G17 vs G34 length for RDS for example.
    I’ve used G19 length and G34. GJM has far more experience than I, but I agree with him that the shorter slide length is preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I’ve used G19 length and G34. GJM has far more experience than I, but I agree with him that the shorter slide length is preferred.

It is confusing. On one hand, on drills like Garcia dots, the short slide definitely cycles flatter. However, on multiple occasions of practice and matches, I overall shoot the 34 with a dot better across a wide range of shooting problems.

My wife and I like to push each other in practice, like this today.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is confusing. On one hand, on drills like Garcia dots, the short slide definitely cycles flatter. However, on multiple occasions of practice and matches, I overall shoot the 34 with a dot better across a wide range of shooting problems.

My wife and I like to push each other in practice, like this today.

Hmmm something to think about. I sold my 34.5 mos to a forum member here. I might need to try one again now that I have more time behind a dot.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Contrary to most, I prefer the 34 length guns with the RDS. Having run them from 19 up to 34 slide length, I much prefer the recoil impulse of the longer slides. I literally just came off of a 4.25 length gun (17-ish) in favor of a 5" (34-ish).
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

We set up Steel Challenge “Accelerator” for some CO and PCC practice.

Another good podcast from Firearm nation with Yong Lee: Advance pistol optic management

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000426267081

I just got the Deltapoint Pro and installed on my 34.5 and did my first match with the optic today. It was 6 stages of steel. Put the optic on yesterday and zeroed it and did a good but of dry fire to re-acclimate to the dot. (So I thought) This isn’t my first time with an optic, I have a 19 w/ an rmr so felt like I could pick it up quickly. I’ve been using my irons on my 19x but decided to swith to carry optics in competition. My 34 isn’t a co-witness like I have on my 19 with my RMR. That was a little odd for me to get used to seeing the site with no front post in view at all. Messed with my mind a little early on.

My first run, I found myself searching for the dot after my draw and it took a couple of hits, but dialed it in after the initial fumble at the start. Stages had quite a bit of small targets at decent distance so the dot certainly helped. Overall I clearly was more accurate which led me to shoot a bit faster as well, will be curious to see my hit factor the next time I run a match with paper but given today, I think it will be improved. I definitely need to practice more and get to work with dry firing to get myself back used to shooting an optic. I was fairly pleased but can do much better, as alway, consistency is the key.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Another good podcast from Firearm nation with Yong Lee: Advance pistol optic management

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=1000426267081
    That's a really interesting interview. I'd go far out of my way to train with him if he comes around.

User Tag List