Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve said this before, but I think one of the possible futures is a generation of RDS with built in backup-only irons - ones that will get you minute of pie plate at 10M if your optic goes tits up when things get sporty, and no more than that. When that happens in conjunction with truly reliable electronics, I think we will see mass acceptance of dots on defensive pistols. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it...
    Maybe I'm full of it and just haven't spent enough time testing it to see where all the issues are, but IMO it isn't too hard to be "minute of pie plate" at 10 shooting with just the dot body/window and no irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Haha, I do wear my gear conservatism on my sleeve...

The 43x slides are very interesting to me. I find that set up a lot more appealing than having my 48s milled, as I've always felt like I probably would like the shorter slide. Also would feel less guilty testing out a 507k with an aftermarket slide that I could sell off if I wasn't happy with the end product. Hmmm.
    Nothing wrong with that, brother. If you ever get the urge to test it out, I can mail you my slide and dot to try out. I think it's actually a great combination (43x).

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Maybe I'm full of it and just haven't spent enough time testing it to see where all the issues are, but IMO it isn't too hard to be "minute of pie plate" at 10 shooting with just the dot body/window and no irons.
    I think you may be biased because you practice, lol. If you carry with a dot, you probably owe it to yourself to see what distances you can do what with at what speed.

I did this video last year with a gun I don't normally shoot (so the index isn't perfect). It's ~1 second draws to a 7 yard target with a follow up rapid shot (~0.22 splits) with and without the dot on (no BUIS visible).

I could maybe do minute of pie plate at 10 yards with my competition gun with dot off, but not sure at what speed I'd be able to hold that group.

A couple years ago, I did the 50 round FBI qual strings out to 7 yards with dot on and dot off (no BUIS).

Name:  dot on and off.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  36.3 KB

I'm a much better shooter than I was back then, but in general I usually think 7 yards and in for point shooting at speed for myself personally.

@Nephrology testing software over hardware can give you a sense of where you're at and then what you'll really need for your uses. In that context, I still like BUIS but I'm not so hung up on absolute optic durability in a non-duty, non-LEO civilian CCW capacity.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    The future is already here! The RMSc, 507k and Romeo Zero all have integrated rear sights that are same height as factory rears so work with factory fronts.
    We’re getting there, but I don’t think any of those are quite to the reliability I would prefer.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    We’re getting there, but I don’t think any of those are quite to the reliability I would prefer.
    Do you have a specific reliability parameter / benchmark in mind?

I saw Aaron Cowan’s review and was impressed with the 507k passing his full duty protocol.

And barring the mounting screws failing, you’d still have the integrated irons in place even if the electronics did fail. So in the unlikely event of a failure... you’d be no worse off than you are currently with only irons.

That’s how I see it anyway.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Do you have a specific reliability parameter / benchmark in mind?

I saw Aaron Cowan’s review and was impressed with the 507k passing his full duty protocol.

And barring the mounting screws failing, you’d still have the integrated irons in place even if the electronics did fail. So in the unlikely event of a failure... you’d be no worse off than you are currently with only irons.

That’s how I see it anyway.
    His reviews do seem good. I'm tracking with interest. Just a little soured after my first and only Holosun was defective out of the box (admittedly bought used). They sent me a replacement with no fuss, but still just a tad leery.

I’ve also had the type I RMR flicker before the days of sealing plates.

I’ve also had rear Glock irons bumped out of alignment...

If nothing else a red dot plus irons gives you another redundancy check for zero.

Match video from today.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Match video from today.
    Nice job transitioning on and off steel!

My wife's from same match.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, I think I have a total of 7 slides out for milling at the moment...

User Tag List