Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

My wife shot perhaps her best match to date today.

I shot my bastardized carry gun at the match today, with a Shadow Systems XR920 lower and a Gen 4 Glock 19 upper. So much fun!

Name:  49C1C297-5912-4800-80D0-8D331934FB6F.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  70.8 KB

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I shot my bastardized carry gun at the match today, with a Shadow Systems XR920 lower and a Gen 4 Glock 19 upper. So much fun!

Great shooting by both of you! Damn, George . . . your presentation from the holster is quick!

My wife's video from Thursday.

I'm curious, why are you using Gen4 vs 5?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm curious, why are you using Gen4 vs 5?
    I like the triggers better.

My wife shot an awesome match today!

Finally mounted an RMR on my Staccato C. While I never doubted the value of an RDS for EDC I was immediately struck by how the RDS exposed flaws in my presentation and grip during target transitions. I compete in steel challenge with a 9mm 1911 and have the additional benefit of very low PF ammo. On the draw I've become too accustomed to making small POI corrections at the end of press out and similarly have allowed lapses in the quality of my support hand grip during transitions.

Can't get away with any of that with the RDS. I immediately started to drive the gun out more aggressively which eliminated a tendency to have sights over target. I'm running near factory PF in the Staccato and that coupled with a slightly smaller grip (officer plus pinky mag buffer extension) forced me to maintain that same aggressive grip during transitions.

After about 50 rounds with the Staccato I ran a few mags through full-size iron sight gun. The draw was dead on and several draws in a row I broke the shot the instant I hit full extension, something I have been concentrating on the the last few months with mixed success. Maintenance of a strong support hand grip transferred to the heavier, low-recoil gun as well. The RMR sits low enough that it doesn't affect my presentation versus the iron sights.

I've got to say that I'm intrigued by the Holosun ACSS reticle as possibly having an advantage when shooting from unconventional positions. I think I'll take this whole RDS thing one step at a time and work on presentation from the draw and ready positions. Too bad I can't shoot the darn thing in USPSA CO, but it fits well in IDPA. I'm going to shoot a 4-stage SC match tomorrow (in Open of course).

Here is Charlie's video from the ten stage steel match this weekend. Rob Leatham watched her shoot a stage and commented someone should do a close up video of her shooting from the elbows out, because her grip, recoil and trigger control is text book.

Hammertime
    Here is Charlie's video from the ten stage steel match this weekend. Rob Leatham watched her shoot a stage and commented someone should do a close up video of her shooting from the elbows out, because her grip, recoil and trigger control is text book.

"You wanted to know who the best is?

That's (her). Ice(wo)man.

(She) flies ice-cold. No mistakes.

Wears you down. You get bored,

do something stupid, and (s)he's got you."

Wife is a dot shooter

So much easier to train new shooters on dots.

Less than 300 lifetime rounds and 7 times at the range, she wanted to take up shooting (competing) as a hobby.

Working on speed mechanics today.

User Tag List