Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving away from a full-size carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by BCG View Post
    Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    if you empty one 30rd mag in civilian world USA you are going to be on the news.....if you empty TWO you are going to be in the encyclopedia......
    Maybe, but how many people know who Harry Beckwith is off the top of their heads without having to look him up?

As much as I’d like to carry my G43 all the time, I just can’t do it. I stick with a 19 or 1911. I figure no one ever wished for a smaller gun during a shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've thought about this quite a bit.

Hi, my name is Lester, and I have a "carry rotation."

It's not as bad as it sounds though.

Often when people use the term "carry rotation" they are talking about carrying different guns (often with different operating systems) based on their particular mood that day. That's not what I'm talking about.

I choose from among a handful of carry guns depending on what I'm doing that day.
    I think a lot of us do that. An assortment of tools for the task at hand. I mostly carry my 26, sometimes I carry my LCR or LCP, sometimes I carry my G19 or even a 17. But like you pointed out, they're not a bunch of different guns with different controls and manual of arms based on what movie I saw last night or whatever. Am I going to jumpstart my friends car over at the sketchy walmart at 2:00am or am I going to pick up some milk one afternoon? Am I going to an event where I'm expected to dress a certain way or am I going on a hike? Dressing around a Glock 19 is the best practice but if I just need one thing from the store down the street at 10:00am do I really need to get the holster and everything on? Drop something in a pocket and go.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I think a lot of us do that. An assortment of tools for the task at hand. I mostly carry my 26, sometimes I carry my LCR or LCP, sometimes I carry my G19 or even a 17. But like you pointed out, they're not a bunch of different guns with different controls and manual of arms based on what movie I saw last night or whatever. Am I going to jumpstart my friends car over at the sketchy walmart at 2:00am or am I going to pick up some milk one afternoon? Am I going to an event where I'm expected to dress a certain way or am I going on a hike? Dressing around a Glock 19 is the best practice but if I just need one thing from the store down the street at 10:00am do I really need to get the holster and everything on? Drop something in a pocket and go.
    I know a guy that shot 3 armed robbers a few years ago while he made a quick trip out in a very nice area.

I prefer to carry something big enough to fight with and not assume to need something less depending on where I’m going or what I’m doing, because truthfully, we just don’t know.

Of course, that’s a decision that we each have to make ourselves.

No matter your loadout someone will be able to find a scenario that trumps it. The reality is the gun is a very small part of the equation. You need to build a defensive system that works for you. Take an honest assessment of your skill level, role play some scenarios, and pressure test your gear. If possible shoot a match or take a local class with what you carry. Don't forget to think about who is with you when you are out and about and consider that during your evaluations. Consider your situational awareness and ability to stay out of potentially bad situations. Some people are shit magnets and other people are not. I think the important part is be as prepared as you can be without being a slave to your gear. Build confindence and compentence in a system that you can sustain for the next 20 years.

Site Supporter
    I listened to the evening news on an Atlanta station last night - 3 fatal shootings plus a bouncer at a local club stabbed. Relatively peaceful night and I am confident they do not report all the incidents. Some of these crimes are sneaking out toward the suburbs.

I live outside the “perimeter “ also (aka outside Atlanta in suburbs) but I carry a M&P 2.0 Compact plus a FS mag. I have a Shield if need smaller. I have a G26 but seems like I can carry the M&P Compact as easy as the G26.

I would at least try the G26 as an alternative to the G17.

Though I understand the points in the OP, I look at things differently, even though I own a G26G3 vetted on 147 HST that I shoot well.

I think that one should choose the firearm which one fights best with up close. Especially speed of draw to first center of mass shot sub 3 yards, accuracy and manipulation single handed especially weak hand, and ease of drawing when in a compromised position like on the ground or after being struck.

For all those tasks I perform much better with a 17 than a 26, even though I shoot them in slow fire identically to 20 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I know a guy that shot 3 armed robbers a few years ago while he made a quick trip out in a very nice area.

I prefer to carry something big enough to fight with and not assume to need something less depending on where I’m going or what I’m doing, because truthfully, we just don’t know.

Of course, that’s a decision that we each have to make ourselves.
    Fair point. I knew a guy that just happened to be at a gas station when 6 gang members gunned down a rival member and his truck took a round in the crossfire. They could have decided to take out the few witnesses instead of just speeding off and so when I heard about that it made me think about what I carry. The G26 with a 17 mag is my go-to and I think that can handle what I'll be doing but sometimes even that's not practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

An M-4 can reach several hundred yards and it has a 30-round magazine. It gives me options that a G19 doesn’t, so I don’t plan to fight with an M-4 the same way I’d plan to fight with a G19. It’s the same when you switch from a G19 to something smaller. Adjust your tactics and expectations--and maybe your behavior--and rock on.

To answer the question you DID ask, I carry a G43 when I can’t carry a G19. Reloads are slower than with a G19 but faster than with a revolver, plus I can get exactly the sights that I want.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

@ASH556
    I think your mindset already addresses a significant number of issues already: not making yourself a target, being aware of your surroundings etc.
    I hear you on the kids hanging all over you thing. I have three, from 0-9. You certainly find yourself carrying more “stuff” and kids, in more awkward positions than you’d ever thought possible. Those little humans also tend to limit how quickly you can leave the area quickly should trouble arise. One can certainly “what if” scenarios all day long, so without going down that road, it’s simply a consideration what you can’t un-ass an area with little kids as you would if flying solo. Does this alter your fight or flight equation?
    Also, you’ve put down some awesome 25yd groups in another thread; what do those groups look like with a J or a G43? For most, the pocket guns are less shootable across the board, capacity issues aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions:
    1. Am I gonna get kilt in da skreetz and I 100% need to go back to the G17?
    2. If I'm on the right track, is the J-frame the way to go, or should I look for something with a flatter profile like a G43 (or something else).
    3. If #2 = yes, then what else?

#1 - Probably not.

#2 - I love wheelies and esp J frames. But the G43 is way more capable. I consider my G43 my bottom floor but I only leave home with it as primary maybe a half dozen times a year for special events.

#3 - IDK. I went through this in the '90's with a 5 shot. An SP101. Then I got into a close call that involved vehicles and two opponents. Thankfully the "mere sight" of the SS revo was enough. But that fookin' cured me of being out'n about with a 5 shot primary. Each of the handful of close calls I've had "came out of nowhere" very quickly and I wasn't in the bad part of a big city or working LEO or anything. I totally agree with the minimalist "have a gun" is very very likely good enough. I'm just not prone to handicap myself when I invest so much work in capability.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List