Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match musings and a new steel popper problem.

Site Supporter
    Shot the 1911 again - 5,0,0,1,3 . Crappy slow times. I like the gun and the big boom. NO ill hand effects from WWB 230 gr. No malfunctions. Nothing too weird at the match. One guy shot a 365 and it ran well and he shot it well. One guy went PCC with a SIG MPX PCC. That is a big honker of a gun for a 9mm. I guess if you like it for competition. It was pain to manipulate for him in some stages that were designed for pistol reloads. I don't see it unless you are into that level of competition.

The most fun is when the order of firing/side of the barricade is complex and folks forget it under pressure. Not that I would do that. Ahem

The 5 was from a stage that had you retrieve your baby and fire one handed. Several of us dropped the baby (oops) and then the one-handed shot went astray. Oh, well.

Site Supporter
    A crappy day at the carbine match and why IPSC will get you killed on the street.

This IDPA carbine day. So it is guns go badly wild. One friend forgets the key to his gun lock. Has to switch to pistol. Another friend is shooting PC with an AR style 9mm. Fires a few rounds and then Boom! The gun jams, smoke and flame. The round is found and the casing is blown in half. Restart and does it again. Cause bad reloads that somehow were going off out of battery maybe? I dunno.

My turn - 4 shots and the rifle jams solid as a rock. Gunsmith finds that the screws on the gas key have sheared off. Parts are ordered. Continue with my Glock 19 at a mediocre level

The day is muddy and boot and carts are bogged down in gunk. I have to take the cart to the spray it yourself car wash, along with the car and boots to blast that crap off.

Now for IPSC. The match director comes us to say there is a new range rule. If you have shot at Cedar Ridge (as some of you know) you park your car or truck nose it to a lightly wooded area. It is ok if you have to take a leak to to use the woods. However, the director tells us that the range owner is angry as an IPSC shoot at their match went to the front of his truck and took a dump and wipe his butt. Thus when all left there was a pile decorated with toilet paper. Yes, there is a real can at the range.

So new rules, don't crap in front of your truck. Will that get you killed on the street? Is it an IPSC custom?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    A crappy day at the carbine match and why IPSC will get you killed on the street.

This IDPA carbine day. So it is guns go badly wild. One friend forgets the key to his gun lock. Has to switch to pistol. Another friend is shooting PC with an AR style 9mm. Fires a few rounds and then Boom! The gun jams, smoke and flame. The round is found and the casing is blown in half. Restart and does it again. Cause bad reloads that somehow were going off out of battery maybe? I dunno.

My turn - 4 shots and the rifle jams solid as a rock. Gunsmith finds that the screws on the gas key have sheared off. Parts are ordered. Continue with my Glock 19 at a mediocre level

The day is muddy and boot and carts are bogged down in gunk. I have to take the cart to the spray it yourself car wash, along with the car and boots to blast that crap off.

Now for IPSC. The match director comes us to say there is a new range rule. If you have shot at Cedar Ridge (as some of you know) you park your car or truck nose it to a lightly wooded area. It is ok if you have to take a leak to to use the woods. However, the director tells us that the range owner is angry as an IPSC shoot at their match went to the front of his truck and took a dump and wipe his butt. Thus when all left there was a pile decorated with toilet paper. Yes, there is a real can at the range.

So new rules, don't crap in front of your truck. Will that get you killed on the street? Is it an IPSC custom?
    Disciplinary options for negligent discharge: Perma-Range Ban or clean it up with 30-cal patches.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

We deal with high wind and poppers all the time.
    On really bad wind days we set the poppers really heavy, paint between shooters (we use a dark gray paint on those days) and it's up to the shooter to verify a "splat" on each popper that doesn't fall (the RO will help spot and prompt the shooter, but in the end it's on the shooter).
    We're just a local Level 1 so we can get away with things like that every once in a while, since it's better for everyone than cancelling the match.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Today's steel match at the same range was cancelled due to the weather. I guess some guys will have to sit on the throne at home.

User Tag List