Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match musings and a new steel popper problem.

Site Supporter

Match musings and a new steel popper problem.

Match yesterday. Shot my SW 1911Sc. Cleaned it the day before and Slip 2000 lubed. It ran just fine. Winchester WWB 230 gr.

Here's the fun stuff. It was very windy. There was a steel popper. One competitor righteously hits it with a 9mm and the wind is so strong, the target wiggles a tad backwards and is blown back stationary. He unleashes very smoothly, 5 dead on shots to the center, very quickly before he can overcome the wind. Didn't want a reshoot but we took 2 seconds off his time as fair (club match so no range raving rule nuts). Never saw that before.

Guy has a Glock he bought from someone with fiber optics. On our drill stage, the front fiber disappears. He valiantly proceeded but with misses. We lent him another Glock for a reshoot (club match). I found the sight in the dirt and gave it to him. I had the same thing happen a few years. Draw and no sight!

Results.

Well, 6 down - 0,1,1,2,2. Should have been five down except I threw one out of the head circle for one point. Dah, DAH! I was best in accuracy for the match! Top ten points:

However, I shoot FOG time and in the lower third overall. Sloth like old man.

A comparison - shooting the 1911 on the drill stage. Three targets - one shot to the body, then two shots to the body, then one shot to the body and back for one shot to the head.
    3.72 4.96 7.31

This compares to my G26 times of the week before:

2.91 4.05 6.06 sec. Speculation - taking off the safety, when waiting to be on target? A little more recoil?

We had a one handed stage - had to carry a brief case. Got zero down. This makes me laugh as I have shared that two guys at work (both big over 6 footers) told me that they once shot a 1911 and it damned near tore their arms off. So a 5'6 ish 70 year old shoots a lightweight gun with one hand and still has the hand.

Our group was half LEOs and half just gun aficionados. One visiting guy from Alaska who looked like from one of the Alaska TV shows but he was a great guy!

Bought a Ruger 9mm carbine with a hint from our leader Tom_Jones. Have to see how that runs.

I like shooting the 1911, a big boom and kick and a rush! I'd carry it if it wasn't so big, wah, wah.

Lost Sight

Anecdote Alert:

A Glock shooter at the Walking in Memphis Match kicked off his front sight.
    Being a regional tier 3, he was stuck with his score point shooting the rest of the stage.
    But I told the SO who got on his walkie talkie and the guy had his choice of three sights - with tools - in a matter of minutes.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Here's the fun stuff. It was very windy. There was a steel popper. One competitor righteously hits it with a 9mm and the wind is so strong, the target wiggles a tad backwards and is blown back stationary. He unleashes very smoothly, 5 dead on shots to the center, very quickly before he can overcome the wind. Didn't want a reshoot but we took 2 seconds off his time as fair (club match so no range raving rule nuts). Never saw that before.
    I haven't seen that either but at one of the Tac Con's in Oklahoma, the wind was blowing directly into the bay from behind. I cleared my cover garment only to have it flipped back on to the gun.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Tamara mentions in her latest column after market sights having a tendency to disappear.

When I went to Given's at Tulsa a few years ago, we were in a bay and IIRC there was a threat of bad weather. Maybe tornadoes. So we are behind one of the tall berms and there is a tremendous roar. The instructor (no idea who, some adjunct to someone) gets excited that we are going to Oz and we should huddle by the berm. Two jets fly over. Sorry, Dorothy - we can't test whether a Wicked Witch is immune to modern firearms.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 11-28-2018 at 11:19 AM.

White box out of a lightweight 1911? Makes my elbows hurt just thinking about it. I was gifted 230 WWB awhile back. Decided to run it through my 45c instead of my Springer. I could definitely feel it the next day. It's not the most obnoxious stuff ever but it sounds like you could gain some time just going to a little milder ammo. I always thought white box felt on the high end of +P but I've been a little more sensitive to recoil every since my elbow issues started.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    White box out of a lightweight 1911? Makes my elbows hurt just thinking about it. I was gifted 230 WWB awhile back. Decided to run it through my 45c instead of my Springer. I could definitely feel it the next day. It's not the most obnoxious stuff ever but it sounds like you could gain some time just going to a little milder ammo. I always thought white box felt on the high end of +P but I've been a little more sensitive to recoil every since my elbow issues started.
    The 230 grain Silvertip recoils more than the standard WWB, very noticeable when I was shooting them side by side out of a P220.

I’ve seen the popper thing before, wind so strong it won’t go down. Not as frequent these days, though they’re much more I Kelly to cancel a match due to weather conditions.

The guy that lost the front fiber, did he lose just the fiber or the entire sight? I’ve lost the fiber element before, and you still have an adequate front black sight. I’ve also had a Glock front sight come loose and spin on me.

Site Supporter
    Entire sight. I found it on the ground next to the start line. When I lost mine, it was just the front fiber. I drew and was looking at a hole in the front sight.

About the 230 gr - I sometimes feel a little bit the next day. I shot about 90 ish rounds Sunday and by the time I posted this - I didn't notice a thing. Of course, I could be screwing my wrist in the future. OY VEY!

When I started w/ FO maybe a year ago, I made sure to have spare tube and a cigarette lighter in my range bag. So far haven't needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    When I started w/ FO maybe a year ago, I made sure to have spare tube and a cigarette lighter in my range bag. So far haven't needed it.
    I seem to go through them regularly.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List