Thread: Any experience with AE 124 gr toxic metal free ammo?

Any experience with AE 124 gr toxic metal free ammo?

I bought a couple of cases of this stuff https://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...xic-metal-free to try, given my indoors arrangements and prior history of lead issues. It seemingly printed groups that were consistent with my other factory ammo. I've been running some drills at 25 yards for the last two days and have been dismayed with my results. Admittedly, those are tough drills with a Glock so I thought it was just me. However, after seeing a bunch of hits on both sides of A zone today I started to wonder it it is ammo consistency. Only had 35 rounds of different ammo on me but it looked better with that ammo, at least more consistent.
    Has anyone had any experience with this metal free stuff?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I don't have experience with the subject ammo. Years ago, I shot a few cases of Magtech "clean" type of ammo and subsequently had eroded and a broken firing pin in some of my Glocks. Glock told me there was some incompatibility issues somehow with "lead-free" primers. I never researched further what the problem(s) was/were and just stopped using that Magtech ammo. I don't know if that ammo is even made any longer.

Edit to add: Here's an old link from another forum I just found during a search which seems to explain the issue and why it occurs.

https://glock.pro/glock-tech-warrant...mmunition.html
    Last edited by L-2; 11-25-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I bought a couple of cases of this stuff https://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...xic-metal-free to try, given my indoors arrangements and prior history of lead issues. It seemingly printed groups that were consistent with my other factory ammo. I've been running some drills at 25 yards for the last two days and have been dismayed with my results. Admittedly, those are tough drills with a Glock so I thought it was just me. However, after seeing a bunch of hits on both sides of A zone today I started to wonder it it is ammo consistency. Only had 35 rounds of different ammo on me but it looked better with that ammo, at least more consistent.
    Has anyone had any experience with this metal free stuff?
    I’ve used thousands of rounds of the stuff in training, and we would get the occasional dead primers. Apparently, the compounds used in lead free primers are hydroscopic, so they suck the moisture out of the air and cause the priming compound to become inert over time.

Just curious if your lead issues were associated with ammunition, and if you nailed down the cause? I get tested every 3 years for being a firearms instructor. I only had one year where I was borderline, and that was when I was casting bullets with less than ideal ventilation and containment standards. Now days, when ever I handle lead or dirty brass I use nylon gloves and my lead levels are well within normal.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I don't have experience with the subject ammo. Years ago, I shot a few cases of Magtech "clean" type of ammo and subsequently had eroded and a broken firing pin in some of my Glocks. Glock told me there was some incompatibility issues somehow with "lead-free" primers. I never researched further what the problem(s) was/were and just stopped using that Magtech ammo. I don't know if that ammo is even made any longer.

Edit to add: Here's an old link from another forum I just found during a search which seems to explain the issue and why it occurs.

https://glock.pro/glock-tech-warrant...mmunition.html
    Don't know the brand used, but FLETC used (uses?) "green" frangible ammo for some training. We had someone transfer in from a stint there, and the striker tip and breech face of her issued Glock 23 were eroded/pitted. The breech face wasn't terrible, so I swapped strikers with a deadlined pistol.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post

Just curious if your lead issues were associated with ammunition, and if you nailed down the cause?
    No, it was due to primary indoors shooting at averagely ventilated range with casual, not stringent, prevention measures on my part. I am down to near normal now.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List