Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Again

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Yes, you can avoid NJ and duck around through PA. It's NY you can't avoid if you are trying to drive up north. There is literally no way to get out of New England without crossing NY. They also don't recognize the federal interstate transport law and you would have to raise it in your defense in court after your arrest. I called the NYSP firearms permitting unit the last time I had to cross NY and they confirmed this. You'll be fine without the permit but if the gun or magazines aren't NY legal, be prepared to pay a lawyer to prove that federal law trumps state... fuck em both...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    NY has had its pee-pee slapped once over such nonsense. I guess they need a refresher course.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...sRodriguez.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    NY has had its pee-pee slapped once over such nonsense. I guess they need a refresher course.

I think they probably do now recognize LEOSA. I was speaking specifically to the Firearms Owner's Protection Act, which is all I have to work with since I'm not LE. I think they would ultimately lose that court case to, but I'd still be stuck in jail paying for a lawyer to prove that they are wrong.

I think they probably do now recognize LEOSA. I was speaking specifically to the Firearms Owner's Protection Act, which is all I have to work with since I'm not LE. I think they would ultimately lose that court case to, but I'd still be stuck in jail paying for a lawyer to prove that they are wrong.
    And that’s the bitch of it...Guilty until proven Innocent.

Honestly, that is what the government does. They’ll prosecute until they get told no, leaving many people penny less trying to prove innocence. As gun owners (read: citizens), that’s our conundrum.

Yes, you can avoid NJ and duck around through PA. It's NY you can't avoid if you are trying to drive up north. There is literally no way to get out of New England without crossing NY. They also don't recognize the federal interstate transport law and you would have to raise it in your defense in court after your arrest. I called the NYSP firearms permitting unit the last time I had to cross NY and they confirmed this. You'll be fine without the permit but if the gun or magazines aren't NY legal, be prepared to pay a lawyer to prove that federal law trumps state... fuck em both...

Obviously, this all refers to upstate. NYC is a whole nother animal and I wouldn't bring a gun there unless covered by leosa. At least they seem to mostly recognize that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post

I go to NY via PA (and then NJ) after riding up the I-81 (Shenandoah) corridor. Sure, I could ride further north through PA, cut east and come back down south to De Blasio City, but I'm not inclined to let the miscreants add the extra time, mileage and aggravation to my trip.

In honesty, I have rarely had any issues with other LEOs on or off the job, (outside of the normal pissing contests endemic to the work), but fully realize that it can happen.

That said, I'm within the law, have the proper licensing and policies to cover my ass, and am just hardheaded enough to not give a fuck about states, municipalities and brother (and sister) officers who don't respect either the law or their brethren.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    In the past, NJ police have arrested NYC officers for being armed in NJ. Many years ago a l.e. friend with the rank of Captain went to NYC to bring back an extradicted felon. The detective who met him at the airport arrested my friend for having a handgun in his luggage. None of this makes sense.

Site Supporter
    That was merely a judge granting defense motion for a dismissal. This was a unique case in that PA Constables do not (as of yet) meet the requirements for inclusion in LEOSA. Some of the definitions pertaining to them are likely to change via the PA legislature which would prevent (maybe) problems in the future. But as of now, PA Constables are encouraged not to rely upon LEOSA protections when out of state.

The takeaways from this (for me as an active police officer) are: 1. When it comes to guns and regardless of LE status, NY and NJ are risky turf. 2. Magazines are not covered by the current version of LEOSA 3. HP ammo in NJ is a no-go (for me) regardless of its specific inclusion in LEOSA, and perhaps most importantly, even if I am fully compliant with LEOSA (I am) I have no desire to lose time, money, security of employment etc as a test case in either of those jurisdictions.

While it pains my sensibilities to abide by such nonsense , abide by the nonsense I always will. A "J" with wadcutters or a G43 with Critical duty or even FMJ will get it done. I keep those on my active firearms card for, among other reasons, travel to NY/NJ/CT etc...
    Last edited by Jason M; 11-25-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    In the past, NJ police have arrested NYC officers for being armed in NJ. Many years ago a l.e. friend with the rank of Captain went to NYC to bring back an extradicted felon. The detective who met him at the airport arrested my friend for having a handgun in his luggage. None of this makes sense.
    Remember the Temperance movement? Abolishing Demon Rum was going to cure all of societies ills. Without saloons after work, men would come home to their families and do whatever they were supposed to be doing, rather than coming home drunk and beating their kids/spouses.... Didn't work out exactly like that in hind sight. Guns are the Demon Rum of the current Utopian dream. Eliminate guns and all of the problems go away. The goal is to disarm the police along with the policed in the long run. The problem for them is they are linear thinkers. Watch "2001, A Space Odyssey" if you want an example of linear thinking. I couldn't fly Pan Am anywhere these days, let alone to a space station en route to the moon. God has a sense of humor....

Site Supporter
    Another good example of linear thinking is England's social planning in the post WW2 era.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    While it pains my sensibilities to abide by such nonsense , abide by the nonsense I always will. A "J" with wadcutters or a G43 with Critical duty or even FMJ will get it done. I keep those on my active firearms card for, among other reasons, travel to NY/NJ/CT etc...
    Jason,

This is a good point to make for any non-federal, non-NJ LEOs reading this thread: For the last decade, the NJ State Police Firearms Unit has distributed word via writing that Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon/Glaser Powr'Ball, and Federal Guard Dog EFMJ are not hollow points because, "...the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners (A.F.T.E.) define “hollow point” as “a bullet with a cavity in the nose to facilitate expansion.”

Using that as their logic, we could expect that Hornady Critical Duty and Speer Gold Dot G2 or other similar rounds with polymer plugs in the cavity can be treated similarly under NJ law, even though they aren't specifically mentioned by the NJSP. There's a P-F.com member who is the director of operations/training for an international security company with a large contingent in NJ, and he switched his guys out to Hornady C.D. following such guidance from the NJSP that it's a-ok.

With that said, I've been searching their website and I can't find the guidance any longer specifying this to provide here. I haven't seen them openly contradict this prior guidance with a redaction, but, who knows.....caveat emptor.

In any case, if anyone is an out-of-state LEO it might behoove the LEO to "play nice" with their guidance if your carry/firearms policy allows any of these sorts of polymer tipped ammunition. If anyone is super worried, you could get an email from the NJSP Firearms Unit stating the guidance on hollow-point alternatives.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-26-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Jason,

This is a good point to make for any non-federal, non-NJ LEOs reading this thread: For the last decade, the NJ State Police Firearms Unit has distributed word via writing that Hornady Critical Defense, Corbon/Glaser Powr'Ball, and Federal Guard Dog EFMJ are not hollow points because, "...the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners (A.F.T.E.) define “hollow point” as “a bullet with a cavity in the nose to facilitate expansion.”

Using that as their logic, we could expect that Hornady Critical Duty and Speer Gold Dot G2 or other similar rounds with polymer plugs in the cavity can be treated similarly under NJ law, even though they aren't specifically mentioned by the NJSP. There's a P-F.com member who is the director of operations/training for an international security company with a large contingent in NJ, and he switched his guys out to Hornady C.D. following such guidance from the NJSP that it's a-ok.

With that said, I've been searching their website and I can't find the guidance any longer specifying this to provide here. I haven't seen them openly contradict this prior guidance with a redaction, but, who knows.....caveat emptor.

In any case, if anyone is an out-of-state LEO it might behoove the LEO to "play nice" with their guidance if your carry/firearms policy allows any of these sorts of polymer tipped ammunition. If anyone is super worried, you could get an email from the NJSP Firearms Unit stating the guidance on hollow-point alternatives.
    The last I talked to the NJSP Firearms Unit this was still the case. I have a good friend who is a FFL in NJ as well. These polymer tipped bullets are not required to be logged into his Hollow Point registry. I have a call out to him at this time to see if this has changed.

Prior to our good governor's recent June 13 signature private transfers of firearms did not have to go through a Licensed Dealer. If you were transferring a long gun the purchaser had to have a NJ Firearms ID Card (originally referred to as a purchaser card/permit). Purchasing a handgun required the "Handgun Purchaser permit" referred too earlier in this thread. In other words to purchase a handgun you just went through a background check more extensive than the NICs.

With regards to Off-Duty police officers being allowed to carry 15 round Magazines, there is still much confusion on this topic. My son is a detective with a local municipal department. When I talked to him at the end of October he informed me that they have been instructed by the prosecutors office in checking with the AG's Office that only 10 round mags are permissible off duty.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List