Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Am I the only guy that doesn't keep spare parts on hand?

Rather than diagnosing/replacing the chipped extractor, bad spring, improperly staked key, etc in an AR, I simply pull out the whole BCG, and slap in a brand new BCG from my parts kit and rock on. I can fiddle with the "why" later, and not screw up my day, match, class etc.

Same with Glocks.

Besides, if suddenly there is a run on parts due to changes in political winds, I have peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    To be fair, your initial post came across as a pretty condescending humble brag, so...
    This whole bloody thread is one long humble brag... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Rather than diagnosing/replacing the chipped extractor, bad spring, improperly staked key, etc in an AR, I simply pull out the whole BCG, and slap in a brand new BCG from my parts kit and rock on. I can fiddle with the "why" later, and not screw up my day, match, class etc.

Same with Glocks.

(pics)

Besides, if suddenly there is a run on parts due to changes in political winds, I have peace of mind.
    As someone who has just recently started to get on the "buy parts to have spares, not to build another gun" train, you have no idea how jealous those pictures make me. Hopefully I'll get my shit sorted to that degree soon. Do you label your Glock parts according to Gen? Mine are largely just tossed together under the assumption I'll be able to figure out what's Gen 4 and what's Gen 5 later.

My weapons are too important to me to let one go down (and stay down) for lack of a part that I could have stocked beforehand.

One thing I have seen that never changes is that things change, and can do so rapidly. So I don't assume I'll always be able to get the parts I need just because I can today.

I've seen primers go from $7.50 @ thousand (and everywhere) to $35 and then to $65. All in the space of two months. Because of an asshat President wrote an open letter.

So just because Glock parts are cheap and everywhere now doesn't mean they will be tomorrow. That's how I see it anyway, and it works for me.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    As someone who has just recently started to get on the "buy parts to have spares, not to build another gun" train, you have no idea how jealous those pictures make me. Hopefully I'll get my shit sorted to that degree soon. Do you label your Glock parts according to Gen? Mine are largely just tossed together under the assumption I'll be able to figure out what's Gen 4 and what's Gen 5 later.
    I do not label my parts. That said, I don't have any Glocks newer than Gen 3, so that makes it a bit simpler logistically speaking.

I just can't seem to wear out the Gen 3s.

User Tag List