Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Unique?

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I learned something. Reading the link showed this powder to be ideal. I was ignorant of its usefulness since I'm locked in to a giant supply of older powders. Will buy a can.

Anyone tried to sub in Alliant's more-recent Sport Pistol? The recipes are not quite as extensive as BE-86.

I've been told by some reloading friends that it is now the first choice for polymer-coated bullets. (I'm mostly stuck on jacketed bullets.)

Anyone?

No direct experience with Sport Pistol here, but the charge weights I see listed for 9mm match up pretty closely with N320 and/or Titegroup, so it's probably on the fast end of the spectrum. A friend of mine recently started using it for his USPSA loads and seems happy so far for that purpose. I'll definitely be interested to pick up a pound to try out when my current stash of N320 runs low, but I don't think it's really a substitute for Unique.

I'm interested in Alliant Sport Pistol too. The Alliant webpage for Sport Pistol has published loads for all of the OP's calibers, with the exception of .41 Mag/special.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/product...rt-pistol.aspx

I've been using Winchester's Super Field (WSF) for about 8 years now and it meets all of my needs. It burns at a rate that appears to be pretty close to Unique according to this chart on Hodgon's site. it burns clean, it can be used to safely load up through +P levels and it has the added benefit of smelling good too.

Oh, it's also a small ball powder so it meters very well. It's not an overly bulky powder though but for standard pressure 9mm loads (124gr) the brass is almost 50% full; double-charges become very obvious.
    Last edited by ER_STL; 11-24-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Universal (clays) is said to be a Unique equivalent.
    And CSB1M is a Universal equivalent. I bought a ton of it cheap and use it in 9mm and .45acp, but there isn't much data for anything else. I have read guys who are working with it in other calibers.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

For me, pistol powders are Bullseye, Unique, 2400 and H110. Mebbe, some day, I'll try some of that new stuff.

Site Supporter
    I have never tried to standardize on just one powder - I would need at least two - one "medium burn rate" and one "slow burn rate". The closest I have to the "one" powder is WSF.

However, I got caught once without enough powder on hand and the market went crazy. I have multiple pistol powders that I bought when I shot anything I could get on the shelf. I hope to never be reloading component short again.

Site Supporter
    All - Thanks for the feedback! I've narrowed it down to CFE-Pistol and BE-86. The deciding factor will probably be whichever is on sale on payday.

Some notes...

I went through a pound of WSF, actually worked up a load for .357 Magnum with 158-grain LRNs. I had to do that blind since there's no revolver data out there that I could find. It was pretty nice, though.

I'll never use HS6 again. I thought it was discontinued about ten years ago. I think the only powders that leave more unburnt powder are 1F and 2F. 3F is about equal.

I no longer hunt, so the .41 and .44 Mags are fun guns. Full power loads through them are not fun, at least for my 66-year-old body. I'm pretty sure a 240-grain LSWC at 1000 fps will penetrate anything that walks east of the Mississippi. That's well within medium-speed powder range. If I end up spending time in the Rockies, I'll just buy a pound of 296.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know what you went with, but I like CFE pistol for semi-auto cartridges. I found it very position sensitive in .38 158gr SWC loads. It just didn't fill enough of the case and was very inconsistent in velocity. It's fine for WC loads.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List