Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife that locks SHUT

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If legal to carry where you live, a properly designed latch equipped balisong (butterfly) knife locks open and closed. The Benchmade 51 Morpho is more or less the gold standard for a carry balisong.
    Back when I was into them, I considered them to be the safest folder. Can't close on you during use sans catastrophic failure.

Unfortunately, too many legislators watched Kung Fu Theater on the weekends.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 11-26-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I carry tip up knives right up against the rear edge of my front pockets. It is impossible for them to open without removing them from the pocket.

Since this is my preferred carry placement for a folding knife, I avoid tip down, which can accidentally open when I reach into the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not impossible. I've had a Leek open while in the pocket a few times.
    Not fully but enough to scalp a knuckle or slice a finger when reaching in for my wallet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JBhunter45 View Post
    Not impossible. I've had a Leek open while in the pocket a few times.
    Not fully but enough to scalp a knuckle or slice a finger when reaching in for my wallet.
    Are we talking about the same carry position right up against the rear of the front pocket? In that position, the fabric of the pants physically blocks the opening of the blade.

Are we talking about the same carry position right up against the rear of the front pocket? In that position, the fabric of the pants physically blocks the opening of the blade.
    Usually it does that. But I've had tip-up knives 'walk' forward a bit during every day movement, allowing just the tip (leave it...) to unfold. I've been stabbed by tip-up knives carried this way more than once.

Far less likely to deploy accidentally are knives carried like the Spyderco P'kal is intended to be carried. That is the clip is setup like you might setup a knife for left hand back of pocket carry, then the knife is placed in the forward portion of the right hand pocket (this to allow maximum purchase for a 'wave' to work, reverse this orientation if you're lefty). I've found the forward-of-hip location of the knife does not result in unintentional opening of the blade. Further, even if it did, the blade tip is covered by your pocket material at the front of the pocket, reaching inside the pocket for something else, will not allow you to find anything other than a knife handle, even sitting down will not result in you stabbing yourself, unless you have a large spare tire and tight pants on.

In my opinion, short of a balisong, which as @Chuck Whitlock noted is excellent, because barring truly catastrophic failure it cannot unintentionally open or close on an individual, a waved knife with a good detent carried in the forward portion of the pocket, will almost certainly not deploy unless you want it to.

I cannot vouchsafe for how such a device might work if you crashed while mountain biking or motorcycling. But in those scenarios, a fixed blade in a good kydex sheath with additional retention strap, would probably be preferable.

Yes, in Cintas 270 type work pants with front slash style pockets. Still able to open tip about a inch from the knife handle.

Rob,
    I've also cut pocket material.

Small wallet hitting the flipper might have something to do with it.
    Last edited by JBhunter45; 11-26-2018 at 02:32 PM.

I frequently carry IWB at 5:00 or loose in a pocket. The only knives I trust for that are Spyderco lock backs (a slip joint will also work).

Too many people are worried about speed or cool factor. Waves open whether you want them to or not (and half the time only part way). Flippers and axis locks practically fall open. Liner locks and frame locks are only as good as their stay closed detent. Every axis lock, compression lock, liner lock etc. pop open with a simple waist-high drop to the carpet. if I carry one of those kinds of locks it must be up against the rear seam of a front pocket in a pair of jeans Etc. (I've had a number of those types of locks open by me falling or even bumping into something)

The other option is a kydex neck sheath. I frequently carry a paramilitary like that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I frequently carry IWB at 5:00 or loose in a pocket. The only knives I trust for that are Spyderco lock backs (a slip joint will also work).

Too many people are worried about speed or cool factor. Waves open whether you want them to or not (and half the time only part way). Flippers and axis locks practically fall open. Liner locks and frame locks are only as good as their stay closed detent. Every axis lock, compression lock, liner lock etc. pop open with a simple waist-high drop to the carpet. if I carry one of those kinds of locks it must be up against the rear seam of a front pocket in a pair of jeans Etc. (I've had a number of those types of locks open by me falling or even bumping into something)

The other option is a kydex neck sheath. I frequently carry a paramilitary like that.
    If one of my kids has managed to get a shoelace or other piece of clothing caught in an escalator, speed becomes much more than merely cool. When my son recently managed to wrap up his finger in a twisted teddy bear ribbon to the point that his finger was swelling by the second, speed was helpful.

Wave opening has been the fastest and most dependable opening method I have found. The Emerson-licensed Spyderco waves are generally the most reliable and gentlest on clothing. Emerson and Zero Tolerance have been less reliable due to the much smaller waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Reliable opening trumps all.....by the time I have a Spyderco to a useful position I can thumb ride it all the way open..... Waves don't work well when you are pinned against the wall or the floor.... you simply end up with a partially opened knife..... The best way to open a folder is with two hands......the hump with the hole gives a great purchase for your off hand..... Fixed blade is the fastest.....choose your risk/reward and drive on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Reliable opening trumps all.....by the time I have a Spyderco to a useful position I can thumb ride it all the way open..... Waves don't work well when you are pinned against the wall or the floor.... you simply end up with a partially opened knife..... The best way to open a folder is with two hands......the hump with the hole gives a great purchase for your off hand..... Fixed blade is the fastest.....choose your risk/reward and drive on.
    If I am in a fight I am only going for a knife if something is stopping me from going for my gun. The two times I have needed a knife readily available (the other was releasing my son from a car seat with a defective buckle) it was for something far different than a fight.

Whether a fixed blade is fastest depends on where and how it is carried. A Bud Nealy multi-carry sheath suspended from an inside jacket pocket is absolutely fast. A neck sheath, not so much.

If the wave fails, there is absolutely nothing stopping me from thumbing open the knife, or merely flicking it the remainder of the way open.

I think the original question was about safety. Specifically a folder that stays closed. I gave a response to the original question from my real world experience. If you find it objectionable so be it. However defending your personal decisions based on my experience is not what the thread is about.

User Tag List