Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KSTG Match at the NRA Range: Tu 27-March

Whoo! Good match. I wasn't planning on shooting, but I did for S's and G's (and because another guy couldn't make the 9PM relay). Lemme tell you what, I smoked the first stage with a blazing fast time of 25 seconds flat. Yup, nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    At least you didn't have a malfunction that you tried to clear, which caused a more serious malfunction which you then cleared but cost you ten seconds on the very first stage. That would suck
    Which is only superceded by a sudden attack of ADHD where you lose points because you forget to remember how many shouts you're suppossed to put on the target

...and I got nobody to blame but me

Quote Originally Posted by kle View Post
    Whoo! Good match. I wasn't planning on shooting, but I did for S's and G's (and because another guy couldn't make the 9PM relay). Lemme tell you what, I smoked the first stage with a blazing fast time of 25 seconds flat. Yup, nailed it.
    Or my even blazing fasterer raw time of 29.65, down one, for good measure. Mercifully, I shot a G34, so my scores don't count and won't be posted.

In related news, don't change your sights then try to hit a 25 yard popper with your first shot... I shot about 5 misses on the popper, switched over to the cardboard, saw I was *way* on the left, went back to the popper, and had to hold well off the popper to the right. (Or, maybe I just suck. It being off to the left, afterall. Though nothing like that before I swapped out the sights)

And thanks to our host for running the match. It was lots of fun, and definitely points out some things I need to work on. Like pistol shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by kle View Post
    Revolver again? Did TJ shoot?
    #RESIST

Last night was my first match of any sort and it was a blast. Stages were fun and challenging, and I realized how easy it is to completely forget your fundamentals when you're in the heat of the moment. Even more reason to break things down during practice and go s-l-o-w.

Thanks, Todd, and everyone else who work hard to make events like this possible!

I am very greatful to Todd and the volunteers for putting on this match. It's more than a little unpaid work.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Revolver again? Did TJ shoot?
    Yup, Nope.

I was there to help tape and witness bdcheung's first match at 8PM, and to watch TJ's run at 9PM. I didn't bring any of my equipment, except for a light jacket (I was anticipating it being cold on the range), my bullet-launching device, and the five rounds in the chambers -- I didn't even bring ear protection and was borrowing a set from the range.

TJ got stuck in Alexandria, and there was no one else waiting on a 9PM slot, so I bought a box of ammo, borrowed a pair of speedloaders, and jumped in the mix.

Had a good time myself, although my shooting wasn't the best. I think I figured out what happened with the dead trigger I had at the beginning of one stage. Seems that my M&P is afflicted with sear bounce. Time to take it out of my carry lineup until this is rectified.

Realizing that my go-to handgun has a flaw that could get me killed if I had to use it for real was worth the entry fee, even if my score was sub-par. Other lesson learned: get a decent amount of sleep before a match, lest your focus suffer.

Thanks to Todd and the rest of the range crew running the match...they had far more patience than I would have had in their shoes.

We are diminished
    I'll try to have the scores tallied and posted by this afternoon. I've also got video I'll try to get posted as time allows. Though given my performance last night, it will serve more for comedic purpose than anything else...

Most interesting thing to me from the match, and something I'll definitely talk about on my site later: quite a few people were distracted by the magazines they placed on the table during the Classifier. Instead of trying to reload from the mag on their belt, they first reached for one of the magazines on the table... even though many of those magazines didn't have enough bullets to finish the drill, requiring either a second reload or quitting without firing all six rounds.

I also realized during the last squad that we weren't following the reload rule on stage two (turn and fire 5 on each of 3 targets, aka "Wrath of Kang!"). The rules clearly require shooters to go to slidelock/empty gun for that, and we told people they could do any kind of reload they wanted whenever they wanted.

Finally, the number of people who are demonstrably incapable of counting to "6" in their heads while shooting never ceases to amaze me. I'm saying that sincerely... some of the best shooters I know struggle with it. I'd say about 20% of the shooters fired either 4 or 5 rounds at the first target of the stage with the popper.

I know speaking for myself that the last stage "classifier" I tried to be efficient in how I loaded my magazines to try and minimize down time. That had the unintened consequence of me shooting 2 rounds to the head then procededing to shoot 4 to the body and stopping for a scecond and realizing that my gun did not go to slide lock and Todd looking at me. I then for some reason thought I had not fired the required amount of rounds then shot one more round to the body thus putting my gun to slide lock and having Todd give me a puzzled look before I realized I shot five in the body instead of four. Oh shit, penalties here I come. Next time I will pay more attention to the course of fire and how I set up my gear. Oh well live and learn. Since this was my first kstg I believe the second will go more smoothly. Thanks for taking the time to set it up an baby sit us, Todd.

User Tag List