Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus 865UL

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Its J-frame size
    No, it's not. 6 rounds of .38 special will not physically fit in a J-frame. I'm not even talking about containing the pressure of firing the round. There's not enough space for 6 cartridges to even exist. A K frame is the smallest you can make a 6-shot .38 or .357. the rims are almost touching.

Good luck with your gun. Odds are even with Taurus it'll probably work. But if it doesn't Taurus isn't going to take care of you. They say they will but from what I've heard they just jerk you around and send your gun back just as broken as when you sent it in.

Ruger seems to have more than their share of lemons leave the factory. The difference is they fix their mistakes. If their gun is defective they fix it and pay shipping both ways. If there's a safety issue they're the first to say anything about it. You don't have to hear rumors and then they get sued while they deny everything.

As for the OP, why did you even start this thread? I'm really not trying to be a dick or anything but even if we were talking about the PF hot gun of the week, nobody cares that you're going to buy one. If you bought one we're interested in your experience with it, good or bad. Get the gun and let us know how it shakes out.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 11-23-2018 at 03:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The first handgun I ever shot was my uncle’s 4” stainless security six. They are great guns but like the K frame .357s they did not hold up to a steady diet of .357 ammunition. There is a reason why the L frame and GP 100 series were developed and why LE agencies which shot full power ammo went to them when revolvers were in common use as duty guns.

This is what some very knowledgeable people in this thread are trying to tell you about why things like a six shot .357 PS 101 or a 5 Shot 44 Special SP 101 would not be feasible. At not with current metallurgy.

What type of round counts are you putting through your Taurus and charter revolvers ?
    None of my revolvers get a whole lot of ammo through them .. One of my Charter alumium frames get shotmore than the rest... It is a BUG ... jacket/coat pocket carried ... Sometimes poketed carried in summer months.. this past summer I ran a couple hundred 148gr LWC , 158gr LRN & 130gr FMJ a box of Federal 130gr HST .. Just mostly checking POI with the HST , for SD carry ..

My primary carry is a Glock 27 with 180gr HST , I have various other Glocks , I really lean toward the Glock platform.. They get 90% of range time

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    True. Too bad .327 is to expensive.
    And there are so few ammo choices. The great part about .327 is that you can shoot .32H&R and .32 S&W long. That said, it's really a reloader's cartridge. I haven't even loaded .32 long yet, because my .32H&R loads are so light.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    And there are so few ammo choices. The great part about .327 is that you can shoot .32H&R and .32 S&W long. That said, it's really a reloader's cartridge. I haven't even loaded .32 long yet, because my .32H&R loads are so light.
    And 32 acp ... I shot alot through my past LCR327 ...The Federal 327 100gr JSP was a "whiz bang" round !

Site Supporter
    I realize it isn’t as lightweight but if you need a compact 6 shot revolver and have ruled out the new Colt for whatever reason I’d look to the Charter Arms Police Undercover, 6 shots of .38 on the .44 Bulldog frame. If it ends up needing warranty service Charter Arms has a much better reputation for taking care of their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    No, it's not. 6 rounds of .38 special will not physically fit in a J-frame. I'm not even talking about containing the pressure of firing the round. There's not enough space for 6 cartridges to even exist. A K frame is the smallest you can make a 6-shot .38 or .357. the rims are almost touching.

Good luck with your gun. Odds are even with Taurus it'll probably work. But if it doesn't Taurus isn't going to take care of you. They say they will but from what I've heard they just jerk you around and send your gun back just as broken as when you sent it in.

Ruger seems to have more than their share of lemons leave the factory. The difference is they fix their mistakes. If their gun is defective they fix it and pay shipping both ways. If there's a safety issue they're the first to say anything about it. You don't have to hear rumors and then they get sued while they deny everything.

As for the OP, why did you even start this thread? I'm really not trying to be a dick or anything but even if we were talking about the PF hot gun of the week, nobody cares that you're going to buy one. If you bought one we're interested in your experience with it, good or bad. Get the gun and let us know how it shakes out.
    https://www.taurususa.com/product-de...rumbseries=856

Heres a link on the size of the 856UL ... And Sir . I appreciate your input and advice , I do not think that you are being a dick .. Im new here .. and I like to bounce idea's on forums ....to get input ... and you gave your advice and imput ..
    I had been a member on Defensive Carry for years and years .... but for the past few months its been hit or miss getting logged on and now I can not pull up the site on my phone ... I have " lurked "on this site for over a year ....
    So this is where I landed ...
    Im planning to be here for awhile...

Taurus 865 width: 1.41"

J frame:1.31"

K frame: 1.455"

That may not be a massive difference but it is noticeable. And that extra width in the cylinder is also going to add height to the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Taurus 865 width: 1.41"

J frame:1.31"

K frame: 1.455"

That may not be a massive difference but it is noticeable. And that extra width in the cylinder is also going to add height to the frame.
    It seems they have basically made it a smaller Colt "D" size ... Not really increasing the overall size of the frame ...

This is a link comparing the Colt to a M856 , the UL model is not compared just the steel version

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ssic-revolver/
    Last edited by Buckeye63; 11-23-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    If you shoot them rarely enough, everything "runs perfect".

I gave up on Taurus when I started seeing return rates approaching 100% on some models. Even if one in three or four is bad, that means you have a 66-75% chance of being a happy camper, but I get 25-33% P.O.'ed customers.

I know this makes me a "hater", but if more Taurus owners put more mileage on their guns, they'd be haters, too. The "Lifetime Warranty" offered by manufacturers of budget guns like Taurus, Hi-Point, and Charter is predicated on the vast majority of people buying $150-$400 guns not ever spending the $150-$400 on the ammunition it would take to wreck them.

This^^ right here.. Listen to what Tamara is saying, I 've been a member here long enough to figure out that this woman has probably forgot more about wheelguns than most men will ever know...I have a friend of mine who bought a brand new Judge awhile back , against my advice about their QC..ran about 25-30 rounds through it before he figured out it was badly out of time, right out of the box..Luckily, he got his money back, and learned a lesson...
    Last edited by ralph; 11-23-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I had a 90s era 605. It was, at best, an OK gun. I got rid of it after I bought a used DS.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List