Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a toolkit for my pickup

Need a toolkit for my pickup

I'm making my Christmas list and realized I need a set of tools to carry in my truck.

Anyone know of a good turnkey set?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Do a search. There was a whole thread on this a couple years ago.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Home Depot is loaded with cheap tool kits right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Home Depot is loaded with cheap tool kits right now.
    I broke a cheap Taiwanese-made wrench, in the early Eighties, and been suspicious of cheap tools since that time. Of course, since that time, the Taiwanese have learned to make VERY good steel, and the tools I now avoid are “Made In China.”

Site Supporter
    I keep this one in my 4Runner. The tools are OK, the box can be a PITA- clips fall off when open. Tools have a lifetime warranty from Crescent. It's come in handy more than a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  IMAG1779.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  92.2 KB

I have been liking the Kobalt stuff

Some of these sure seem like a smoking deal:
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Kobalt--Mec...ent=4294965883

Seems like the Lowes has picked up where Sears left off, sorta ironic now that they seem to be taking over the Craftsman brand.

All of these sets seem to lack pliers and hammers, but that is stuff I trust Harbor Freight on.

This thread came along at the right time. Some degenerate asshole got into my truck and stole all my tools. I didn't think anyone would bother trying to get into a beater '84 Chevy to steal three crappy toolboxes that they might get $50 for at a pawn shop. But someone did.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

That's actually how I lost The World's Shittiest Satnav: left it (accidentally; it was a long trip, I was tired and had a lot to unpack) in my vehicle connected to its charger. Some asshole broke a window, grabbed the satnav, and instead of unplugging the charger decided to cut the cable with something that from the marks on the cable looked to be about as sharp as a butter knife. Value of the device, when new? About $60. Value, once the proprietary charger was destroyed? Fuck all. (One more good reason I moved out of the city.)

But getting sort of back in topic, how does everyone store all their stuff in their truck? Does everyone use a toolbox in the bed? (I got a new to me truck last summer and have ever so slowly been trying to configure it the way I want it. I originally thought the bed has so much space there'd be no problem putting a tool box in it, but damned if I haven't already used the entire bed for hauling stuff a few times. So now I'm hesitant.)

Yeah, I'm not fond of toolboxes that go across the bed because I want that space for cargo a d I don't need to secure a ton of stuff. In the past I've bolted ammo cans to the bed. Those porkchop style boxes that set to one side also look like they might work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I have a heavy duty storage tote that I ratchet strapped across the front of the bed. It keeps everything together and organized but I can pull it out if I need the full bed. I do have a bed cover that keeps it out of sight and the elements.

I’ve always liked the wheel well boxes but my bed extender folds up into that space currently.

User Tag List