Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a toolkit for my pickup

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I actually have an older one of those and it is fairly handy. I might get a couple more for the vehicles.

Yeah we’re a Toyota family, so it’s all metric. But I’m also buying a piece of land where you always need various tools. I’ll probably have to put together my own set for that.
    Yea, almost certainly. Different tools for different jobs.

I bought the small tool kit, because I found myself not sleeping well without proper tools on hand. I'll be honest though, anything besides a jump start, changing a flat, or battery or the occasional little maintenance things (filters, etc.). I just take the car to the mechanic, call AAA, or put it up on ramps in the parking lot and take care of it. In other words, I just intend the small set to be more convenience for minor things that making major road-side repairs. That said, the little kit has come in handy more for disassembling antique furniture the wife and I bought to get it into the car, than for car repairs.

Remember folks - A AAA annual membership is cheaper than most good tool kits.

I've seen that Decked system before. I would love to have one but I drive a '93 Sonoma so nobody makes accessories for stuff that old anymore.

I'm going to end up grabbing two small sets for each of my trucks and a larger set with specialty stuff like wheel pullers and line wrenches that gets kept inside on a cart I can wheel out when I need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Yea, almost certainly. Different tools for different jobs.

I bought the small tool kit, because I found myself not sleeping well without proper tools on hand. I'll be honest though, anything besides a jump start, changing a flat, or battery or the occasional little maintenance things (filters, etc.). I just take the car to the mechanic, call AAA, or put it up on ramps in the parking lot and take care of it. In other words, I just intend the small set to be more convenience for minor things that making major road-side repairs. That said, the little kit has come in handy more for disassembling antique furniture the wife and I bought to get it into the car, than for car repairs.

Remember folks - A AAA annual membership is cheaper than most good tool kits.
    That's pretty much what I haven't gone hog wild with a tool kit in the car. If I need a tool kit more advanced than what I've got in the car, it's AAA time. I've used my 12V air compressor and pressure gauge more than I've used the tool kit (for fixing the car at least).

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Those look friggin' awesome. You guys in the U.S. get all the best toys.

(Might make the bed a little shallow, though? Depends on what sort of stuff you usually haul, I suppose.)
    It does make the bed shallower, that's my big hesitation on it. At 12" tall. you only have a 10" deep bed on the Tundra at that point. I don't think I'd be losing much, but the beds are already high enough on new trucks and putting the deck 12" higher would probably make it a bigger pain to pull stuff out of the bed.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Had to go pick something up at the mall so I went by Sears to look at tools. They had a bunch of stuff marked down, some of it half off.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Something that occurred to me, that may or may not be in any way useful:

So if I'm interpreting things correctly, at least part of the sockets are those 12-pointed ones? Are they the same as "universal" (ie. both metric and, err, yardic in one) sockets? Because if they are, I had a bitch of a time trying to undo a very old bolt on a very old Ford, in order to remove the now deceased starter motor from it, using one of those. Ended up not getting the job done until I got a proper, 6-pointed, inch-sized socket that matched the bolt.

Just a single experience from someone who is not really very mechanically inclined at all, but I've been distrustful of those types of sockets ever since that incident.
    Yes they are 12 point. I had a similar experience, but then discovered the miracle called Croil. While 12 point sockets can be troublesome, I haven't had any issues on the dozen or so jobs I've used them on away from my main set of tools. Additionally, they are not universal, the set contains SAE and Metric sockets and hex keys. YMMV.

Name:  IMAG1803.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  88.2 KB

Just ordered a set of craftsman tools from Sears. It looks like it's fluffed up with screwdriver bits but it's got most of the important stuff and was more than 50% off. You gotta watch out for that, all the extra fluff that looks enticing but turns out isn't all that useful. Maybe a smaller set might have had more essentials or whatever but for the price I didn't feel like spending an hour comparing them all. They also gave me $32 worth of rewards points so that'll cover pliers and stuff that it didn't have.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 12-06-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Something happened on the way to checkout...

Yesterday I was wheeling my plumbing purchases up to go pay, and they had a huge stack of these in the middle of the aisle, and I caved. I think all three drive sizes, with short and deep, inch and metric, and basic wrenches in inch and metric, for just $100 was too much to pass on. The box is bulky and I bought one of the soft bags to transfer it into.

I will probably demote the old truck set to the shed.

Just swung by Lowes on my way home from work. The $99 Kobalt tool kits referenced earlier in the thread are still on sale with a bunch of other stuff. I got two of the tool kits plus two 5-piece packs of pliers for $20 each and a heavy tool bag for $20. The tool kits are more than really necessary for an emergency vehicle kit but much smaller kits are selling for the same or almost the same price so might as well go big. They don't come with pliers though so grab grab a 5-pack for $20 while you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Fuckers will steal anything.
    Local mason was picking up his truck which the LEOs had us tow in and says to me "I'm surprised the tools in the bed didn't get stolen." I look in his bed and see well used trowels, shovels and other assorted hand tools. Look back at him and reply "those are for work."
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List