Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This should end the bear gun debate

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Quite a few bears have been killed with .357 Magnum revolvers, starting in the days when the .357 was the only Magnum handgun cartridge. One of the Wessons, whose first name escapes me, at the moment, famously harvested many large and/or dangerous game animals with the .357 Magnum.

I have never walked among Big Browns and Grizzlies, so will offer no advice to anyone.

If I walk where really big bears live, I will load 180-grain hardcast in any .357 revolvers I may be carrying, but, really, I bought my Ruger SRH Alaskan .454/.45 for a reason other than AIWB under a Hawaiian shirt in Houston.
    Douglas B. Wesson. https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...-smith-wesson/

Scroll down a little. I think it was more Phil Sharpe than Elmer Keith, though...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Does Pennsylvania really have that many black bears? Opening day of 4-day bear season - 1241 bears were harvested. That's a lot of bears, period.
    Indeed they do.

My sister lives in State College, where the local economy relies on hunting & Penn State football.

She is a master gardner and has friends who keep an apiary. Between the deer & bears, that amounts to masochism.

IIRC, they’re not allowed to fence their yards, either.

Site Supporter
    This brings to mind the old joke about New Jersey announcing a bear season. The hard part about hunting bears in NJ is luring term into the front passenger seat of a Cadillac and getting the piano wire around their neck....

When you say “bear gun” do you mean a gun for hunting bears where you pick your shot or a gun for self defense against bears ?

As already discussed, if I’m careful I can hunt an kill a bear with a .22 or a sharp stick.

A gun to “stop” a bear in self defense before it can hurt or kill you is a whole different dynamic.

The key is adequate penetration.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Somebody say bear guns?

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In Russia bears shoot humans.
    In Russia, children wrestle bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfOeLQG9-M

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Bear

Sadam Astamirov
    Published on Apr 10, 2016

Хабиб Нурмагомедов боец UFC против медведя

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHbZs7hwms

Joe Rogan on Khabib wrestling a bear

Spartan's Uncle
    Published on Oct 10, 2018

Joe Rogan On Khabib Wrestling A Bear
    Last edited by BCG; 11-22-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    Yippee ki-yay

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Somebody say bear guns?

Name:  abe_lincoln_riding_a_grizzly_by_sharpwriter-d33u2nl.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  61.3 KB
    source: https://www.deviantart.com/sharpwrit...zzly-187840497
    Abe Lincoln Riding a Grizzly
    by SharpWriter
    Last edited by BCG; 11-22-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Yippee ki-yay

I loved some of the comments on erienewsnow.com which first reported the story. My favorite:

"A .357 can easily take a black bear. If it’s a magnum then it’s leathal to a bear. The rule of thumb is, if you hike or camp in the wilderness, carry a magnum. No other hand gun stops a bear.
    I recall a man camping being confronted with a grizzly who had breached the sleeping mans tent. He had a hand gun, fired and hit the bear in the head with a large caliber round. The round ricocheted off the bear because the muzzle velocity was not sufficient enough. Rounds pick up speed as they travel. What might have been a kill shot at 15 feet bounces off at 5 feet."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I loved some of the comments on erienewsnow.com which first reported the story. My favorite:

"A .357 can easily take a black bear. If it’s a magnum then it’s leathal to a bear. The rule of thumb is, if you hike or camp in the wilderness, carry a magnum. No other hand gun stops a bear.
    I recall a man camping being confronted with a grizzly who had breached the sleeping mans tent. He had a hand gun, fired and hit the bear in the head with a large caliber round. The round ricocheted off the bear because the muzzle velocity was not sufficient enough. Rounds pick up speed as they travel. What might have been a kill shot at 15 feet bounces off at 5 feet."
    I give up, that’s just too dumb.
    Last edited by TDA; 11-22-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Had a client tell me her son survived a head shot at close range. Apparently the air pressure increases velocity at longer ranges, so he survived.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 11-22-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Somebody say bear guns?
    When I saw the thread starting down that path... first thing that popped in my head.

https://youtu.be/GhxqIITtTtU

User Tag List