Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting daypack recommendation

hunting daypack recommendation

I just started turkey and pheasant hunting last year (complete noob, grew up in the suburbs & city, never even knew anyone who hunted). In the market for a day pack that could be used for both, and possibly other types of small game hunting. I live in the northeast, so lots of hills and thick wooded areas.

I've only used my Osprey Daylite pack (13L) for the time being, but its more of a hiking/urban travel day pack. It's brightly colored and doesn't really have too much organization. I'm looking for something that has slightly more capacity, in a hunting appropriate color, and decent quality to price.

I also need advice on what equipment would be a good idea to pack for day hunts. Currently, I'm just packing water, compass, calls, IFAK, some snacks, rain shell jacket, battery pack for my phone, knife, multitool, flashlight, and some trash bags to hold game. Am I missing anything that you more experienced hunters would recommend?

VertX transit sling bag comes in a nice green that's fairly easy to modify to camo. It's my go to. Only issue is depending on how quiet you're trying to be over time the swivel can creak slightly so you have to muffle it.

Good organization and access, and a good off body carry option if you don't enjoy hiking AIWB.

Hill People Gear Tarahumara or Junction pack. Built very tough and the harness system is excellent.

I use an HPG Tara and HPG Aston BC. Have also used Kelty Redwing and Maxpedition sling bags in the past.

Strongly recommend an actual backpack. Sling bags aren't very good for actual hiking.

Daypack is pretty broad... I can use the Tara for short small game hunts in good weather. If I'm taking a stove or extra insulation it's out.

The Aston BC is more versatile. Itll work for a heavy day load and moderate overnight loads.

At this point I'm looking to upgrade to a larger pack for big game and/or overnight loads. The Aston BC is really at it's limit when I start packing for multi night trips in the cold, and I don't like how it carries larger awkward loads.

I'd recommend something at least 20L in size from one of the many reputable brands(HPG, Mystery Ranch, etc.). Think through what you carry and what you need access to. My HPG bags have terrible wand/bottle pockets. That's another major reason I want to upgrade.

If I were starting over I'd probably go HPG Junction and HPG Ute as my light and heavy solutions.

Love my HPG, and will use it again elk hunting stating Saturday.

Name:  276FBC89-F1F6-438D-BA18-DB8AD0CCE955.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  100.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Lots of packs are designed specifically for hunting upland game, so check Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc.

For all game, I prefer designs with a lot of pockets on the outside over designs with lots of dividers on the inside, and I prefer side opening-designs to top-openers. I also avoid camouflage packs. I’ll check the big-box stores for designs that I think will work, then look for non-camo versions of them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Here's a couple in the size range you eluded to that I have enough experience with to recommend. Several solid color/camo pattern options are available and both have excellent warranties should you need it.

Badlands Pursuit
    https://www.badlandsgear.com/products/pursuit

LBT 22L
    https://lbtinc.com/collections/bags/...42035919585479
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    For hunting I would lean towards Hill People Gear, something in the 30L range as that will buy you versatility. Maybe the Umlindi https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../ProductID/136 . For solely your use case, maybe step down to the Connor but I always recommend stepping up a size.

For any general outdoor use, or hunting in areas that I’m not so worried about the terrain ripping my bag, I’ll always recommend Mystery Ranch. I’m a fanboy, definitely! I like the Scree for the attachment points and a nice middle option between the Coolee 25 and 40 (if you need larger or smaller than the 32L) https://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-p...1&color=Lizard. MR also has a large hunting line, but more geared towards larger game/trips than you were describing. Otherwise, they look excellent as well.

Many other great companies; anything in a similar vein would work well. I just settled on those two brands for all my bag needs and they both have left me with excellent CS experiences.

Name:  659F2ED9-C851-4BF9-8A4F-373197716C9D.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  101.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    [snip...]I always recommend stepping up a size.
    This. You can always carry less stuff, but I've never been in the woods and thought, "If I just had a smaller pack..."

I don't make long walking hunts any more, but I use the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38 for a day pack. https://www.mysteryranch.com/pop-up-...&color=Foliage

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I always recommend stepping up a size.
    Concur. I have never found pack under 30L useful in a variety of conditions. That is sort of my low end size any more.

User Tag List