Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loads useing reduced OAL

I load a Berry's plated 124 grain flat point. It has a very similar profile to the hollow point you linked. My OAL is 1.065, a length I originally worked up to accommodate shorter CZ chambers. I load it over 4.0 of Titegroup and it chronographs right at 130 out of a 4.25" barrel. It has never shown any signs of overpressure. On the contrary, it's pretty soft shooting and is very accurate. I've been shooting it pretty exclusively as a production load for a bunch of years.

Just to put it out there as a comparison, our duty load, 124 grain Federal HST +P comes out of the box at an OAL of 1.10, also substantially shorter than what is considered "standard" for the caliber. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I load a Berry's plated 124 grain flat point. It has a very similar profile to the hollow point you linked. My OAL is 1.065, a length I originally worked up to accommodate shorter CZ chambers. I load it over 4.0 of Titegroup and it chronographs right at 130 out of a 4.25" barrel. It has never shown any signs of overpressure. On the contrary, it's pretty soft shooting and is very accurate. I've been shooting it pretty exclusively as a production load for a bunch of years.

Just to put it out there as a comparison, our duty load, 124 grain Federal HST +P comes out of the box at an OAL of 1.10, also substantially shorter than what is considered "standard" for the caliber. FWIW.
    BOOM! Nice post.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I load Berrys 124 HP over 4.1g of Titegroup at 1.120 COAL for a PF of 131 out of a Glock 19. I used to get a few per hundred that wouldn't pass a case gauge but they would always shoot in my Glocks. After about 10 years of separating out the case gauge failures and having ALL of them run fine in my Glocks, I just quit case gauging them all together unless I am doing a small run for a little used CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    I load Berrys 124 HP over 4.1g of Titegroup at 1.120 COAL for a PF of 131 out of a Glock 19. I used to get a few per hundred that wouldn't pass a case gauge but they would always shoot in my Glocks. After about 10 years of separating out the case gauge failures and having ALL of them run fine in my Glocks, I just quit case gauging them all together unless I am doing a small run for a little used CZ.
    I case gauge everything in a BSPS Hundo. I have a little ‘Channelled OCD’ going on - I just can’t help it.

My Glock 19s, Tanfoglio Stock 2’s and CZ P-07 & P-09 consume ALMOST all of them without complaint - including most split cases.

Maybe one in a ‘Case Gauge Failure’ Plastic Bottle of ~300 will fail to go into battery, and that case is usually a mess.

You guys are awesome

I loaded a small batch last night with 3.7grns to a 1.115 OAL. If I get a chance to sneak out today I will use those up.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

I primarily use a Glock 34 with an Agency arms barrel, but it is nice to not have to tailor make loads to fit my occasional CZ and eventual Beretta habit, so my intention is to get back to the 1.075 length.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 11-22-2018 at 07:43 AM.

4 rounds WHO at 5 yards to test cycling
    6 Rounds at 10 yards My plan was to test accuracy, but the cold weather and my hands so nope

Despite my goal of 1.115 and 1.075 there was a fair amount of variation, the shortest of each batch was put on the bottom of the magazine.
    The 1.063 was noticeably sharper than the 1.075.
    The 1.115 batch felt consistent for all 10 rounds
    Between the 2 batches I could not tell the difference in recoil apart from the final shot.
    Brass piled in a small circle with 6 inches of my right foot

I will probably stick with the 1.115 OAL just for more margin of error as I work up the powder charge. It also looks like I need to invest in a chronograph. Data is fun!

(1.118-1.111, not 1.011)
    Name:  20181122_102852.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  52.7 KB

2 primer strikes are discolored from the 1.075 batch. In general they have a more pronounced Glock rectangle
    Name:  20181122_104902.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  37.2 KB

It would not shock me at all if that FC case second from the right on the bottom row was the one at 1.063. That much flattening of the primer makes me a little bit nervous. You'll probably want to figure out what's causing the OAL variation you're seeing, and you're right that you should invest in (or borrow) a chronograph. Honestly, even a cheapo one will do - IIRC I paid about $120 for mine all in, including the tripod, and the readings it has given me have always matched up with the chrono at the USPSA state section match. If you want to get something fancy, you can certainly spend a lot more, but for most load development purposes, it's not really necessary to break the bank.
    Last edited by olstyn; 11-22-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Name:  D7F7C6A5-6168-4EC1-B2CC-2C4E2245F078.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  38.5 KB

Those primer strikes look VERY deep but I dont’ see signs of primer flow or flattening. You could probably back off on the weight of your striker spring.

What’s going on with the two I circled? I’m hoping that is a trick of the light and not primer piercing.

Yes, WSP are softer primers, but those striker (firing pin) strikes seem quite deep.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-22-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    What’s going on with the two I circled? I’m hoping that is a trick of the light and not primer piercing.
    The strikes on those two are also noticeably off center compared to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It would not shock me at all if that FC case second from the right on the bottom row was the one at 1.063. That much flattening of the primer makes me a little bit nervous. You'll probably want to figure out what's causing the OAL variation you're seeing, and you're right that you should invest in (or borrow) a chronograph. Honestly, even a cheapo one will do - IIRC I paid about $120 for mine all in, including the tripod, and the readings it has given me have always matched up with the chrono at the USPSA state section match. If you want to get something fancy, you can certainly spend a lot more, but for most load development purposes, it's not really necessary to break the bank.
    The variation has been an issue for me, though not as bad as these. +/- .005s was normal for me with Jacketed bullets.

This is only the first year I have been reloading so I am still trying to pick up proper equipment and knowledge when I can.

User Tag List