Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger to release a Brand New 8-Shot Revolver

I've been lead to believe Ruger's target market for the new gun is, in part, competitive revolver shooters. ICORE, Steel Challenge, etc.

I'm intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I can understand the sentiment, but I hate the Redhawk, and the design has some issues.

If they're going to upsize the GP100, without going full Super Redhawk (better than the regular Redhawk, but still not quite ideal) I'd certainly be interested.
    Me too. The GP100/Super Redhawk design has much to recommend it: a more tunable trigger, and the peg style grip frame that allows for a wider variety of grip styles, for starters. Hamilton Bowen has made quite a bit of money removing the frame extension from Super Redhawks and installing a Redhawk barrel. They are awesome guns, but the work is spendy and takes a while so it will be interesting to see what Ruger comes up with.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

So a Bowen GP44 except 8x357?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    So a Bowen GP44 except 8x357?
    Simone: "My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw that exact gun at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious."

So, pretty much, from what I can gather.

(*with apologies to the "Ferris Bueller’s day off" writing team)
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    My first thought was a moon-clip competitor to the S&W 627. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    They've already made an eight round Redhawk, so what's the big deal?
    Honestly? The Redhawk sucks.

The GP100 and Super Redhawk use virtually the same lockwork and use the same grips. The Redhawk is a totally different (legacy) gun and should probably have been shown the door about two decades ago. Sure, they work okay, but they simply aren't as good as the GP/SR guns. For competition shooting, no serious competitor would run a Redhawk over an N-Frame. A GP platform? That would have merit as a competitive revolver.

Color me interested in this gun. Especially if Ruger drops an 8-shot 9mm gun (with a properly specc'ed barrel) alongside it.

Alaskan; cuts to reduce weight below 40 oz; moon clip cut; dovetail sights; 3 " barrel option.

If an Alaskan, an S&W "Bloodwoork," and a TRR8 had a bastard love child...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Alaskan; cuts to reduce weight below 40 oz; moon clip cut; dovetail sights; 3 " barrel option.

If an Alaskan, an S&W "Bloodwoork," and a TRR8 had a bastard love child...
    I've heard of Smolts, Smythons, and Cougers - But that would be a new one a Rugith? Smuger? Smitger?

I guess they are looking for a niche, like every other manufacturer.

The LCR has been such a success for them, I am surprised at the lack of a MCR and BCR (Medium and Big.) Perhaps they thought it would cut into sales of GP and RH.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Wonder if any of the new revolvers are a result of the survey they did.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List