Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Production change: Federal AE 147 FMJ (AE9FP)

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Not sure what you mean by old Speer projectile. The Speer 147 TMJ I have is shaped slightly different and has a smaller meplat.

I was going to suggest comparing Lawman/CCI Blazer to the new Federal load, but someone beat me to it before I could sit down to type out a reply. It does indeed look like a slightly different bullet than the Speer 147gr TMJ... but, I believe they also have a 147 FMJ (not plated like the TMJ) they load as well. The plastic trays in the new stuff are indeed the same as CCI/Speer/Lawman packaging. I suspect we are now seeing some cross over between CCI/Speer and Federal brands and production lines. Similar to how Federal is now offering an aluminum case 115gr practice load.

The old AE9FP was good stuff, and I know the Lawman 147gr load has a reputation as a good load as well. I have recently shot a bit of the CCI Blazer aluminum cased 147gr load, and it worked well for me.

It will be interesting to see if they keep both bullet types/loads/packaging under the same part number/SKU... could make logistics a pain if someone has a gun that does not like one load or the other.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info I was down to my last case of the "old" stuff. At least the new bullet profile is closer to the HST and if the load is a little hotter that would more closely duplicate the HST load. I had chronoed "old" AE147 at ~50fps slower than the 147HST in my Glock 43.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Thanks for the info I was down to my last case of the "old" stuff. At least the new bullet profile is closer to the HST and if the load is a little hotter that would more closely duplicate the HST load. I had chronoed "old" AE147 at ~50fps slower than the 147HST in my Glock 43.
    The 147gr. AE and HST are both listed at the same velocity and energy level.

Site Supporter
    I have been through 1,000 of the new flat point load. My perception is that it is not quite as accurate as the truncated cone bullet load. I have not had any functional issues with it in a G17.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I have been through 1,000 of the new flat point load. My perception is that it is not quite as accurate as the truncated cone bullet load. I have not had any functional issues with it in a G17.
    Nor have I in my 1.0 and 2.0 M&P’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I'd bet a six pack that they are loading the plated 147 Speer bullet as mentioned before. That's likely why it's less accurate. I've got the better part of a case of the old ammo with the actual jacketed TC bullet, then it looks like I'm loading my own. Bummer...

Site Supporter
    Got to the range today and chrono'd "Old" 147gr AE, "New" 147gr AE and 147gr HST out of my Gen4 G26. 45 degrees and whatever elevation Richmond, VA.
    Avg for 10 shots
    Old AE = 894fps
    New AE = 942fps
    147 HST = 995fps

Old AE was ~1.5" lower @15yds compared to the others. I'm glad the New AE does have the same POI as HST.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    Got to the range today and chrono'd "Old" 147gr AE, "New" 147gr AE and 147gr HST out of my Gen4 G26. 45 degrees and whatever elevation Richmond, VA.
    Avg for 10 shots
    Old AE = 894fps
    New AE = 942fps
    147 HST = 995fps

Old AE was ~1.5" lower @15yds compared to the others. I'm glad the New AE does have the same POI as HST.
    It's entirely likely that someone at Federal realized that their most popular 147 grain FMJ load didn't hit to the same POI as their defensive 147.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It's entirely likely that someone at Federal realized that their most popular 147 grain FMJ load didn't hit to the same POI as their defensive 147.
    I want to say that AE used to be matched to Hydra Shok. Maybe it took them a while to transition that to HST.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I want to say that AE used to be matched to Hydra Shok. Maybe it took them a while to transition that to HST.
    That would also make sense to me

User Tag List