Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Production change: Federal AE 147 FMJ (AE9FP)

product info - Federal AE 147 FMJ (AE9FP)

For your SA, I know a number of folks here use Federal AE 147 FMJ, sku AE9FP. These are from a new batch received via LE/gov vendor.

New packaging. Slightly larger tray, larger box, case packaging larger. Tray is like the Speer Lawman line. Old on top, new on bottom.

Longer cartridge OAL, bullet shape change. Compare to 147 HST in third image, L-R old, new, HST.

New headstamp. Old left, new right.

Shooting these, they spark/flash much more, are a little stouter, I perceive inconsistent charges, with a lot of erratic ejection in my G45. POI is lower. I need to shoot for better groups and get them on a chrono but I’m not too faroff base. Several hundred rounds fired.

Of the mass produced economy practice ammo AE9FP has been GTG for a long time. This recent batch is curious. The short OAL and light recoil impulse has also made this load a good benchmark for some function testing.

FYI- check your supply.

Name:  ae9fp (1).jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  46.6 KBName:  ae9fp (2).jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  57.2 KBName:  ae9fp (3).jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  61.1 KBName:  ae9fp (4).jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  29.9 KB
    Last edited by ST911; 11-20-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I beleive there is already a thread on this.

The thread this was discussed in was part of the ammo deals thread; probably best for it to have its own separate notice thread for those who aren't keeping tabs on the other one (and want comparative pictures that don't look like they were taken with a potato).

I am wondering how this new production compares to the 147 grain HST load, however. I haven't compared them myself, but the new style seems to make them a better fit dimensionally for the 147 gr HST. Maybe Federal was trying to make a practice load that felt and fed similar to the HSTs? I know I've had problems feeding the old style AE9FP in my Scorpion where Lawman 147 and HSTs fed just fine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    The thread this was discussed in was part of the ammo deals thread; probably best for it to have its own separate notice thread for those who aren't keeping tabs on the other one (and want comparative pictures that don't look like they were taken with a potato).

I am wondering how this new production compares to the 147 grain HST load, however. I haven't compared them myself, but the new style seems to make them a better fit dimensionally for the 147 gr HST. Maybe Federal was trying to make a practice load that felt and fed similar to the HSTs? I know I've had problems feeding the old style AE9FP in my Scorpion where Lawman 147 and HSTs fed just fine.
    Gotcha.

As noted, the new AE 147 seems to match the length and shape of the Sythtech 150 grain action pistol load. Maybe it’s a production streamlining thing ?

And my two cases just arrived yesterday.......

I needed to hit the range this week anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

The new Bullet looks a whole lot like the pulled 147 bullet an online retailer has been selling for the last few months.

Wonder if the pills I’m shooting are AE pulldowns from lots with QC issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Ugh. I ordered a couple weeks ago. Just checked and it’s the new stuff. I still have some 147 Lawman I can shoot side by side this weekend.

I purchased 2 cases of the new 147 AE and shot some of it along with the older type and saw no difference in felt recoil.
    I have never had any issues with AE ammunition and expect the new rounds to perform just as good.

Site Supporter
    The new bullet looks like the old Speer 147 TMJ projectile.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The new bullet looks like the old Speer 147 TMJ projectile.
    Not sure what you mean by old Speer projectile. The Speer 147 TMJ I have is shaped slightly different and has a smaller meplat.

User Tag List