Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grip safeties

Site Supporter
    I picked up an XD-S Mod 2. Yes I know....

Haven't shot it yet , but the grip safety seems so much better than on other additions. It barely has to engaged to work and is easy to activate. It's basically a SCD for me. If SA made all the XDs grip safety like this (can rack slide without it engaged as well) then I might actually consider them as a more serious option.

We will see how it performs when I actually shoot it. My only real concern is the dual magazine release dropping mags when I don't want it to.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 11-20-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Haven't shot it yet , but the grip safety seems so much better than on other additions. It barely has to engaged to work and is easy to activate. It's basically a SCD for me. If SA made all the XDs grip safety like this (can rack slide without it engaged as well) then I might actually consider them as a more serious option.

We will see how it performs when I actually shoot it. My only real concern is the dual magazine release dropping mags when I don't want it to.
    The XD grip safety is a superior design over the 1911 grips safety. You can only push the XD's grip safety inward. The 1911 is a toggle, so there is the possibility to apply pressure which pulls the grip safety outward. IMHO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Shooting a uspsa match today I failed to disengage the grip safety on my Springfield Operator twice during the draw. It's happened sporadically in the past but never twice in one match.

The operator is set up nearly identical to my edc loaded. The grips are a little different but not much.

I do a lot of drawing from concealment with my edc and never have a problem. I've been shooting 1911s since I was 16 and never had a problem.

Driving home I'm wondering if it an issue with my safariland ALS holster, or the Wilson bullet proof sear spring with it's extra tension.

Any ideas?
    Perhaps in order to get to the root cause you need to stop what you are doing and investigate. I know you said it happened in a match and your first instinct is to work through it. However you said that you EDC a 1911 so I would want to learn exactly what is happening. Stop what you are doing and take a close look at your grip.

Extra power main spring? Highly unlikely culprit.

I had a grip safety issue once. It was in a class during a drill were a speedy draw was required. Near as I could tell I was exerting so much Force in an upward direction (onto the underside of the beaver tail) that the grip safety could not pivot in to disengage. I believe this was the result of coming down on the gun too high. In many years of training since I have never repeated this. I carry a 1911 daily and have no worries about a grip safety problem happening in a dire situation.

There is a better way to sensitize the grip safety than just filing the finger

The two tabs that interact with the MSH, file those so the grip safety can rotate out farther then file the finger for proper engagement...this way you are moveing the disengagement point out farther while still keeping sufficient engagement and function of the grip safety

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    There is a better way to sensitize the grip safety than just filing the finger

The two tabs that interact with the MSH, file those so the grip safety can rotate out farther then file the finger for proper engagement...this way you are moveing the disengagement point out farther while still keeping sufficient engagement and function of the grip safety
    But the grip safety would still need to be the same distance inward to deactivate. All you do is create more movement to reach that point. Not sure if that's as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Perhaps in order to get to the root cause you need to stop what you are doing and investigate. I know you said it happened in a match and your first instinct is to work through it. However you said that you EDC a 1911 so I would want to learn exactly what is happening. Stop what you are doing and take a close look at your grip.

Extra power main spring? Highly unlikely culprit.

I had a grip safety issue once. It was in a class during a drill were a speedy draw was required. Near as I could tell I was exerting so much Force in an upward direction (onto the underside of the beaver tail) that the grip safety could not pivot in to disengage. I believe this was the result of coming down on the gun too high. In many years of training since I have never repeated this. I carry a 1911 daily and have no worries about a grip safety problem happening in a dire situation.
    I get your point but I think that would be like stopping to investigate a stoppage. I'll never be a competitive shooter. I just shoot a half dozen or so matches a year for funsies. I do like seeing what works under stress, including me. I do also like to record my runs for analyzing later. Fortunately I caught both.

This morning after work I drew 100 reps with my comp belt/gun and had one failure to disengage the safety. 100 reps with a ALS holster with a straight cant(comp holster has slightly forward cant) on my pants belt and 100 reps from my aiwb holster.

I'm confident now it was the slight forward cant of the light bearing ALS holster I'm using.

I then did another 100 reps with my edc 1911.

I was going fast with some very sloppy draws trying to induce another failure. Nuttin.

I think it is that forward cant. When I got that failure I noted my hand position and my thumb was in a weird position on the thumb safety that did not allow my hand to move forward.

I also did some draws from my Milt Sparks summer special and rcs owb holster. I'm feeling ok right now it is just a holster issue

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I had a grip safety issue once. It was in a class during a drill were a speedy draw was required. Near as I could tell I was exerting so much Force in an upward direction (onto the underside of the beaver tail) that the grip safety could not pivot in to disengage. .
    You were not the first or only. It is a conflict between the design of the gun and the speed shooters' desire for the highest possible hand hole.
    A GI grip safety or the old Clark beavertail does not get as much inward pressure off the bottom of the grip safety and onto upward force against the "tail."

I think it was Ed Brown that started the trend to very high beavertails that open you up to this sort of misfunction.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Larry Vickers recently made this video for Wilson Combat about the grip safety.

great vid. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

It wasn't a Mod 2, I don't really know which version it was, but I messed around with a buddies XD a couple of years ago. I had a lot of issues with not engaging the grip safety. I never could really figure it out but I didn't spend enough time with it to know if it was a long term issue for me or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Once again, I want to publicly thank Bill Wilson from excluding this travesty feature from the EDC X9.
    Oddly this pistol has me really interested in SAO Sigs. I'm especially interested in the SAO 229 that was announced earlier this year. I wish they would hurry up and start shipping them.

User Tag List