Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets see your 10mm pistols !

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    For current production, are there any credible choices other than the Glocks, P220, and mid- to high-end 1911s?

Here's my impression:
    Glock 20: The cheapest, holds the most rounds. Low round count examples readily available even cheaper on GunBroker. Feels like grabbing a 2x4, even with XXXL hands. Possibly a good technical solution for a self-rescue device to haul around outdoors.

P220: Mid-price, includes all that's good about the P220. Vastly superior ergonomically to the G20. Steel frame is kinda heavy. Was redesigned to strengthen it for 10mm when production moved to the US. Holds fewer rounds, may have some reliability issues or need some tuning to run well with some ammo. Takedown lever shaft might have shortened life due to 10mm and steel frame inertia (amplifying what's observed with the P220 in high round count .45s). Available in finishes ranging from low-end BBQ gun to dirty camo.

1911s: People buy them because reasons.

Revolvers: People buy them because reasons.

Personally, my choice is .357M or .45 Super for any mission where 10mm looks like a good option, but that probably has more to do with what guns are available and what factory ammo is around than the cartridges themselves. A .41 or lighter-loaded .44 Magnum would also be excellent. But that's just me, and I'm not you.
    The 45 Super is a great round ... With fullpower loads with my 20 & 29 I use 22# RSA ...
    I have owned Glocks for 25 years now .. Grip angle is perfect for me now ( not at first ) I own 12 Glocks ... Im sorta use to them .... Glock 20's and 29's are better price options VS 10mm 1911's and some other steel framed options ....
    The polymer frame not only makes it lighter but also dampens tbe recoil... Or it seems that way when I fire my buddies RIA 10mm .. I would be hesitant about running a steady diet of UW 10mm through any semiauto without having a stouter RSA ....

I have a 21 C and I have ran a few hundred rounds of 45 Super through it , with a 20# RSA ...and quite of bit of +P
    My carry load for my 21C is UW 230gr +P with Nolser JHP
    My 30S & 36 is standard pressure 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    You mentioned a 357M , im thinking you are referring to the 357 magnum, which is another fine round !!!
    I carry a Ruger Security Six 4 inch barrel on occasion .. When I used to carry in the woods or trail I carried UW 357mag 158gr Gold dot ... and in my LCR357 for social work I carry Hornady 125gr FTX
    For woods carry I carry my Glock 20 with UW 200gr XTP

My Glock 32 has taken over for my Security Six for SD carry .. My carry ammo for my 32 is Underwood 125gr Gold dot ..Higher capacity lighter weight and pretty much memics the "one shot drop " of the 125gr 357 magnum..

They are alot of options in the Glock line up , or at least with mine ... My 27 is my EDC loaded with 180gr HST
    Last edited by Buckeye63; 11-18-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Lets see your 10mm pistols !

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Personally, my choice is .357M or .45 Super for any mission where 10mm looks like a good option, but that probably has more to do with what guns are available and what factory ammo is around than the cartridges themselves.
    .45 Super is one of those cartridges that I ultimately want to mess around with. I don’t plan on only shooting them, but want to see how they function in my D/I .45 AR. Rudy, at Macon Armory (built the upper), said it would be good to go. But no real interest in running Supers in my Glock 30S (maybe s***s and giggles).

In regards to the P220 in 10mm... it always struck me odd that SIG hasn’t looked at offering a 10mm P227. Don’t know what that would equate to in terms of firepower, but would love to see a 10mm version of that 14 round P227 magazine.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I’ll take a moment to pose a question for those who EDC a 10mm; what drills have you run using the full power carry ammo?
    I've run all the same drills I have with my Glock 19: FAST, Bill Drill, 5x5, walk back drill, dot torture, etc, with the addition of more work at the 50yd and 100yd line. My experiences mirror those of @gringop when running a FAST drill, my splits on the 9" circle tend to run in the .22 to .25 second range, but with a Glock 20, they run in the .40 to .45 range. This is with a 200 grain XTP going 1140fps.

I "EDC" a Glock 20 in the sense that I live on the border of a National Forest, and have for years used it in the "field pistol" role when out woodsbumming, boondocking, scouting, hunting, hiking, and backpacking. Essentially I'm using an autoloader in the role that has traditionally been the domain of a magnum revolver.

I've often said that the 10mm is the right solution for a small number of problems, and the wrong one for everything else. I feel that it is a solution for the "field pistol" problem, but if I were starting with zero guns, I'd be sorely tempted to just go buy a USP 45 for that role as @GJM has done.

My EDC for urban/suburban environments is still a Glock 19.

I'd post a picture of my Glock 20, but if you've seen one G20 with a TLR and some finish wear, you've seen them all.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 11-18-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    .45 Super is one of those cartridges that I ultimately want to mess around with. I don’t plan on only shooting them, but want to see how they function in my D/I .45 AR. Rudy, at Macon Armory (built the upper), said it would be good to go. But no real interest in running Supers in my Glock 30S (maybe s***s and giggles).

In regards to the P220 in 10mm... it always struck me odd that SIG hasn’t looked at offering a 10mm P227. Don’t know what that would equate to in terms of firepower, but would love to see a 10mm version of that 14 round P227 magazine.
    Given Sigs QC issues of late- and the fact the P227 has issues - I’d view a Springfield 10mm as a better option then a P220.

I ask as years back I carried a 10mm. Serious drills with full power ammo resulted in excessive wear on the pistol -A Tanfoglio 10mm- and performance degradation compared to 9mm in my hands. Not living near woods or a machine shop, I ditched the 10mm as a carry round.That said, I have a Delta Elite for those times I just want to shoot the loudest 20 round box of handgun rounds in the store.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Given Sigs QC issues of late- and the fact the P227 has issues - I’d view a Springfield 10mm as a better option then a P220.

I ask as years back I carried a 10mm. Serious drills with full power ammo resulted in excessive wear on the pistol -A Tanfoglio 10mm- and performance degradation compared to 9mm in my hands. Not living near woods or a machine shop, I ditched the 10mm as a carry round.That said, I have a Delta Elite for those times I just want to shoot the loudest 20 round box of handgun rounds in the store.
    Circa 1999 I bought a Tanfoglio as a poor man's Bren Ten. The only thing they did when they upsized those guns from 9mm was make all the appropriate orifices bigger. Same locking lug geometry, same recoil spring weight, same mainspring weight. Mine beat itself to death in short order and cracked the frame.

A friend bought some 135 grain 10mm projectiles by accident and gave them to me. I loaded them over a really healthy charge of Blue Dot. It was fun to go to an indoor range, pull out a rather plebian looking Glock, and get a WTF? moment from everyone at the fire ball and blast from the first round.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 11-19-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I don’t know if I would call that option credible, now or in the future.
    Why? Are they hard to find, or do you not like the platform? My XD .40 has been a great pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Grand Power P40 10mm.
    I don't have their 10mm but I have a few 9mm Grand Powers and I like them quite a lot. If I was looking for a 10mm today, I'd be looking at the GP or a Dan Wesson.
    Well I never...

And now, here's Rob Pincus to tell you all about it:

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Circa 1999 I bought a Tanfoglio as a poor man's Bren Ten. The only thing they did when they upsized those guns from 9mm was make all the appropriate orifices bigger. Same locking lug geometry, same recoil spring weight, same mainspring weight. Mine beat itself to death in short order and cracked the frame.
    So....poor mans Bren Ten. 😂
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

So....poor mans Bren Ten. 😂
    At least it came with a magazine...

Site Supporter
    Name:  7860DADF-BDE1-45AB-AE8A-368AE55287C4.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  85.4 KB

Boresight Solutions nightstand pistol

User Tag List