Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Charter 41 Magnum revolver

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Less than full performance due to short barrel, high ammo cost and old bullet design, QC from a company that has been in and out of business, and lots of muzzle flash, but don't let that stop you.
    So.... how do you really feel?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If I decide on the Charter 41mag ... Im not concerned about the Charter QC ... Being I have owned Charters for over 30yrs and I have two in my carry rotation and another in my safe ... Two Alumium framed 38spl and a 44spl .. About the only reason I wouldn't purchase one is that I own a 44spl Bulldog ... and I have alot of range time with the 44spl ...
    Which is a lower pressure round and really like a 38spl on steroids...
    And I have a Glock 29 & 20 which are my main woods carry pistols....

This thread (and others) has me thinking about the .45 LC version of this gun.

Lots of cowboy ammo available as well as some more modern defensive loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    This thread (and others) has me thinking about the .45 LC version of this gun.

Lots of cowboy ammo available as well as some more modern defensive loads.
    Winchester PDX1 225gr 45 Colt .. A great defensive load ... Made at low pressure for Taurus Judges ...

Site Supporter
    I love my .41 mag, but it is a handloaders gun. There are no factory .41 special loads which is what that gun needs, and factory ammo is very expensive.

Then you need to consider what the .41 mag excels at, which is a flat shooting magnum level cartridge made to take a long handgun shot with terminal ballistics on par with a .44 mag. It's also good to know why it failed, which is because the recoil in the police loads was excessive from the 4" heavy N frames like the model 57 or 58s.

Charter Arms QC notwithstanding, those things would prevent me from going for a snub barrel medium framed gun when there are options like .38 or .357 or .44sp in a charter arms that won't pound the crap out of the gun's timing.

To me, the .41 excels as an accurate, long range (for a handgun) cartridge and is best at home in a large framed gun with a 4" or greater barrel to take advantage of the greater velocity and flatter trajectory over the .44 mag.

It can certainly be used as a defensive arm, but as a primary defensive arm, it's hamstrung by quite a few drawbacks...not the least of which is cost.

IMO that's the reason that there aren't many snubby .41s as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    For use as a defensive pistol, recoil will affect accuracy as well as shot to shot speed, either or both of which could become critical in a situation you may face.

Re: woods guns, I would recommend looking in the semiauto section for GJM’s thread on field pistols. He found the 10mm Glocks to be less than perfectly reliable with the heavy 10mm loads you really want for that purpose, and ended up going with some specific HK .45 pistols that are rated for .45 Super ammo. He uses Underwood penetrator ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I love my .41 mag, but it is a handloaders gun. There are no factory .41 special loads which is what that gun needs, and factory ammo is very expensive.

Then you need to consider what the .41 mag excels at, which is a flat shooting magnum level cartridge made to take a long handgun shot with terminal ballistics on par with a .44 mag. It's also good to know why it failed, which is because the recoil in the police loads was excessive from the 4" heavy N frames like the model 57 or 58s.

Charter Arms QC notwithstanding, those things would prevent me from going for a snub barrel medium framed gun when there are options like .38 or .357 or .44sp in a charter arms that won't pound the crap out of the gun's timing.

To me, the .41 excels as an accurate, long range (for a handgun) cartridge and is best at home in a large framed gun with a 4" or greater barrel to take advantage of the greater velocity and flatter trajectory over the .44 mag.

It can certainly be used as a defensive arm, but as a primary defensive arm, it's hamstrung by quite a few drawbacks...not the least of which is cost.

IMO that's the reason that there aren't many snubby .41s as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I see what you mean .. I have done a little research and it seems the Winchester 41mag 175gr Silvertip maybe a good option as a SD opinion.. Even though it is thought as a downloaded 41 mag cartridge .. It is still would be a handful in a 23 oz revolver...
    This makes think about being happy with my Charter Bulldog in 44spl...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I see what you mean .. I have done a little research and it seems the Winchester 41mag 175gr Silvertip maybe a good option as a SD opinion.. Even though it is thought as a downloaded 41 mag cartridge .. It is still would be a handful in a 23 oz revolver...
    This makes think about being happy with my Charter Bulldog in 44spl...
    How well will the .41 Magnum 175 grain Silvertip bullet perform out of a barrel that short?

Your only way to find out may be home hobbyist ballistics tests on YouTube, which are of dubious value.

The .41 Magnum is an excellent solution for a small number of problems. I'm not sure this is one of them.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    How well will the .41 Magnum 175 grain Silvertip bullet perform out of a barrel that short?

Your only way to find out may be home hobbyist ballistics tests on YouTube, which are of dubious value.

The .41 Magnum is an excellent solution for a small number of problems. I'm not sure this is one of them.
    Thats it ... Geltests only give a person a "Idea " how the bullet will react when fired into gel ...a living being be it a 4 legged or a two legged threat is a another thing totally .... Volunteers to be test subjects are few and far between..

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    30 + years of owning Charter revolvers.. I haven't had to send but two in for repair
    How much do you shoot them? Nothing personal, but years of owning is largely irrelevant to the durability of a gun.

To answer the question, no, I wouldn't. Having investigated hundreds of shootings, my recommendation is to stick with common duty calibers and a heavy-for-caliber loading with a bullet that retains mass (ie, nothing that fragments, sheds a jacket, etc.) Other then expense and hipsterism, you gain nothing going to the more "exotic" calibers. Ammo manufacturers know where the bulk of the market is and their R&D is geared toward that. You won't find anyone optimizing a short barrel .41 mag load because the five people who'd be interested in it aren't worth the cost.

Cowboy loads in short barrel guns perform poorly. I've had a .44 penetrate the victim's abdomen to about 6", which is insufficient.

Other than as a hand-held flashbang I can't think of any reason I'd want to use a .41 magnum short barrel. There are too many proven, cost effective, and readily available alternatives.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List