Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield size TDA besides SIG or Springfield?

I’d love to find a 43 size TDA gun in 9mm.

Site Supporter
    A scaled down single stack P-07 would be rather sweet.

Love this concept.

Single stack USP
    Single stack PX4
    Singlestack P30

Site Supporter
    Smith, are you listening? People still need 3913 and CS9-sized TDAs.

But, I digress...

I mean, not 9mm... but... there is of course the rrrreal OG of DA/SA concealed carry guns: Walther PPK. Mine's very accurate and about the size of a Shield. With the right grips, it doesn't break my hand either. Sig P230/P232 is also a consideration. Makarov. All thin, small, high-quality DA/SA options--just not 9mm.

That said, the P239 is my go to carry 9mm. I haven't found anything else that has the balance of shootability and carryability. It's bigger than a Shield, yes. But it's grip is thin and short enough to make it much easier to carry than double stack options (in my opinion). As much as I love my PX4cc and 92c, I tote my P239 (or P245) much more often. Mine's an older police trade in, and it's been perfect. And while I think Smith 3rd gens are awesome guns, I will say that I shoot a P239 better than a 3913. Though I have way more trigger time with the Sig.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-17-2018 at 06:30 PM.

239 opinions always split between the group that doesn't like them because they are almost 229 sized and the group that loves the shootabiliy for the size of the package.

I'm in group 2. I miss my 239 sometimes. It was/is my very favorite Sig. Now, it's too big and heavy for any BUG use. No argument from me. But for a belt carried gun, the extra slimness compared to the double stack guns makes a very noticeable difference when more concealment is desired. I actually shoot a 239 better than anything else I've tried from SIG also. I do neuter the slide stop with my grip, unfortunately.

I let mine go in a fit for something else, can't remember what now. Another one may find it's way into my safe someday.

All that said....I doubt there is a huge market for a Shield sized TDA. I'd be all over a solid offering from Beretta or S&W like a fat kid on cake. I know I'm part of a tiny minority in the shooting/carrying world. For now, I'm getting my BUG sized fix with the old stand by j-frame.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    239 opinions always split between the group that doesn't like them because they are almost 229 sized and the group that loves the shootabiliy for the size of the package.

I'm in group 2. I miss my 239 sometimes. It was/is my very favorite Sig. Now, it's too big and heavy for any BUG use. No argument from me. But for a belt carried gun, the extra slimness compared to the double stack guns makes a very noticeable difference when more concealment is desired. I actually shoot a 239 better than anything else I've tried from SIG also. I do neuter the slide stop with my grip, unfortunately.

I let mine go in a fit for something else, can't remember what now. Another one may find it's way into my safe someday.

All that said....I doubt there is a huge market for a Shield sized TDA. I'd be all over a solid offering from Beretta or S&W like a fat kid on cake. I know I'm part of a tiny minority in the shooting/carrying world. For now, I'm getting my BUG sized fix with the old stand by j-frame.
    Yeah, I'm definitely in group 2. The thing about the P239--regardless of size/weight/capacity--it's a great shooting gun. Add the fact that it fits in your pants comfortably and inconspicuously... that's what makes it unique.

I just put some Trijicon "bright and tough" sights on mine. Really makes a nice sight picture. Bored a hole straight through the center of a silhouette last time I had it out.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions so far!

Yes, I must have written down the wrong number or transposed the height for something else on the P99c. The size would absolutely be an issue.

The 3rd Gen Smith options are definitely interesting and I’m a fan but then I’m dealing with the issues of out of production with no factory support and mags that are getting into the spendy range.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Yes, I must have written down the wrong number or transposed the height for something else on the P99c. The size would absolutely be an issue.
    Used to be that there was a group of people on the Walther forum lusting after the idea of a PPS with the P99/P99c AS trigger mechanism. It kinda sounds like that'd be just the thing you want. Too bad it doesn't exist.

Site Supporter
    I would even consider the XDE if you could get it with just a decocker.

I should have paid more attention to the P239s back when you could get them at LE pricing for $635 with 3 mags and night sights.

There is kind of a minimum threshold for TDA, 9mm, handguns and the smallest I've ever seen that ran properly is the Smith CS9 which is out of production.

So, your solutions for in production guns are: Springfield XDE, Shield, Kahr, or a Glock 43 with a Gadget for a 9mm single-stack gun.

You could go Walther PPK to get to a TDA gun in a smaller Shield size package, but of course you're giving up 9mm for .380.

If I had to choice amongst them all, I'd go Kahr or G43 w/Gadget, if I wanted to go strictly TDA (because for instance I'm running solely Beretta 92s), I would go to a Walther PPK and send it off to Cylinder and Slide for a trigger job, better sights, and then I'd feed it good ammo.

User Tag List