Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield size TDA besides SIG or Springfield?

Shield size TDA besides SIG or Springfield?

Been doing some looking, thinking and reading lately about leaving striker fired all together and going with TDA for my carry. I currently carry a 9mm Shield (strong side IWB, haven't figured out fat boy AIWB) and from what I've been reading here and elsewhere it looks like the 2 closest options are the P239 and maybe the XD-E but most of what I read is 1-3 years old. Have there been any significant changes in the market since 2016-ish?

I'd prefer to not give money to SIG because ethics and I have zero interest in the XD-E. I've handled a P30SK but it's just enough bigger that it doesn't seem like it would carry as well as the Shield.

Are there any other viable options for a single stack, 9mm Shield size TDA? If there's not, I'm OK sticking with the Shield or considering a used 239 but if I don't ask I don't potentially learn what I've overlooked.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Used CS9.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    IMO, the P239 is not "Shield sized". It's so close to a P229 I can't really find a reason to have one. The Shield is light enough to double as a BUG for ankle, pocket, or vest carry and a primary for when concealing a larger gun is problematic. The P239 is too heavy for most BUG roles, and occupies a middle ground that isn't useful for me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    A possibility, if you’re open to a double stack, is the Walther P99C. I’m pleased with mine. It’s a striker-fired TDA with a good double action and a really good single action.

Thanks! I have not yet handled any of the 3 mentioned but I did ask my friend Mr Google for some specs and this is what I've found so far:

Model--------Width----------Height

Shield - - - - .95" - - - - - - 4.6"
    P30sk - - - - 1.37" - - - - - - 4.5"
    P239 - - - - 1.18" - - - - - - 5.1"
    CS9 - - - - - 1.31" - - - - - - 5.0"
    P99c - - - - 1.1" - - - - - - 5.3"
    P365 - - - - - 1.1" - - - - - - 4.3" (not mentioned but worth comparing)
    G19 - - - - - 1.18" - - - - - 5" (not mentioned but I've carried one and for my body shape and carrying comfort I didn't care for it
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Used 3913?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks! I have not yet handled any of the 3 mentioned but I did ask my friend Mr Google for some specs and this is what I've found so far:

Model--------Width----------Height

Shield - - - - .95" - - - - - - 4.6"
    P30sk - - - - 1.37" - - - - - - 4.5"
    P239 - - - - 1.18" - - - - - - 5.1"
    CS9 - - - - - 1.31" - - - - - - 5.0"
    P99c - - - - 1.1" - - - - - - 5.3"
    P365 - - - - - 1.1" - - - - - - 4.3" (not mentioned but worth comparing)
    G19 - - - - - 1.18" - - - - - 5" (not mentioned but I've carried one and for my body shape and carrying comfort I didn't care for it
    CS9 width has two fat spots: the ambi safety levers, and the thickest part of the hogue rubber. Not all CS9s are ambi, and some are DAO. The slide is 15/16ths. So if you got a DAO, and put Xenoy grips on it, you’d have a thickness almost identical to the shield. If you put a single side safety on a TDA, that would be pretty close. Or you could put up with the thickness of that one spot on a TDA and with the Xenoy grip, still have a near analogue: 7 rounds 9mm, use 8 round 3913 magazines for spare magazines.

Site Supporter
    According to Walther’s website, the P99C is 4.3” tall and 1.3” wide.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    According to Walther’s website, the P99C is 4.3” tall and 1.3” wide.
    Yeah, 5.3" tall is the full size, so the OP found the wrong spec on that somehow. That said, when the OP said the P30SK was too big, that pretty much ruled out suggesting the P99c for me, no matter how great I think mine is, because it's only marginally smaller. (.07" narrower and .2" shorter.) The slide is less blocky, at least, so it's not the full 1.3" wide from top to bottom, but neither is it exactly a skinny gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    IMO, the P239 is not "Shield sized". It's so close to a P229 I can't really find a reason to have one. The Shield is light enough to double as a BUG for ankle, pocket, or vest carry and a primary for when concealing a larger gun is problematic. The P239 is too heavy for most BUG roles, and occupies a middle ground that isn't useful for me.
    I like the 239 for what it is but I agree 100%. My agency tried issuing these as BUGs and it was an abject failure.

User Tag List