Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield size TDA besides SIG or Springfield?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    There is kind of a minimum threshold for TDA, 9mm, handguns and the smallest I've ever seen that ran properly is the Smith CS9 which is out of production.

So, your solutions for in production guns are: Springfield XDE, Shield, Kahr, or a Glock 43 with a Gadget for a 9mm single-stack gun.

You could go Walther PPK to get to a TDA gun in a smaller Shield size package, but of course you're giving up 9mm for .380.

If I had to choice amongst them all, I'd go Kahr or G43 w/Gadget, if I wanted to go strictly TDA (because for instance I'm running solely Beretta 92s), I would go to a Walther PPK and send it off to Cylinder and Slide for a trigger job, better sights, and then I'd feed it good ammo.
    Can the PPKs be made to be decocker only?

Are the .32s any more reliable than the .380s?

PX4 Subcompact

I'm happy with my G43 plus gadget.

For a user who wanted G43 size TDA would the PX4 subcompact converted to decocker only with this kit https://www.langdontactical.com/px4-...cocking-lever/ be the best option, in current production? I can tell the slide is wide but I haven't handled one, is it reasonably slim through the grip or is it G26 width?
    Last edited by John10-19; 11-17-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

I don't know about decocker only. That would be nice if you could set it up that way.

I have '74 German PPK/S--.380. It's been reliable with both hollowpoints and FMJ, with some caveats:

-I had an FTF when it was loaded to 7+1. Never had an issue with a non-topped off mag. Walther Forum research seemed to suggest one shouldn't trust PPKs with a +1 loadout. I dunno.

-Every magazine--except the one that came with the gun--falls out of the gun when shooting. I think it might have something to do with the mag catch.

So, I'm not really carrying it now. If I could get the mag issue sorted out, I might. But it kinda sucks if you can't run +1. My Sig P230 has no such issues. Though I will say I shoot the Walther better. It really is an exceptional shooter--especially with Nill grips, which help redirect some of that nasty blowback recoil. I would anticipate that a lot of these quirks wouldn't be a thing with a newer production PPK. Plus, you get a drop safety with the S&W version.

I had a PP in .32... er 7.65. And learned that .32 and 7.65 are, in fact, different. The extraction groove has a different contour on the 7.65 (European) ammo. So, I noticed my PP ran PPU okay but choked on Winchester .32. Maybe that's not the case for all 7.65 Walthers, but that was my experience. I didn't mess with it much after that and sold it. The recoil was much nicer on the 7.65 though.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 11-17-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    I would even consider the XDE if you could get it with just a decocker.
    The way the xde safety works, it's almost a decocker only. Down to decock, all the way up to put on safe. You've got to move it up there, otherwise, it's not on.

Mine's been fine, runs fine (probably only 500 rounds). I just haven't really warmed to it. The DA pull is really too far of a reach for my hand, so I really haven't shot it lately. Quite a bit further reach to the trigger than my j-frame. Combined with a little arthritis/inflamation in my trigger finger joint, it's sort of sat in the safe. But it's not a bad gun really.
    Last edited by idahojess; 11-17-2018 at 09:49 PM.

No to decock only. No where for a return spring to be mounted without milling

I dunno which is more reliable, honestly. But the .380 PPK is the only actual PPK (short frame) gun currently in production. So that’s probably what I would do, but what I would do then is send it to C&S for reliability and customizing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    The way the xde safety works, it's almost a decocker only. Down to decock, all the way up to put on safe. You've got to move it up there, otherwise, it's not on.

Mine's been fine, runs fine (probably only 500 rounds). I just haven't really warmed to it. The DA pull is really too far of a reach for my hand, so I really haven't shot it lately. Quite a bit further reach to the trigger than my j-frame. Combined with a little arthritis/inflamation in my trigger finger joint, it's sort of sat in the safe. But it's not a bad gun really.
    True, but if I was carrying TDA guns, I would want them to all be set up as similar as possible. So if I had a P-07, I would want my XD-E to be sans safety.

Of course the XDE could make a nice companion to USP V1.

Quote Originally Posted by John10-19 View Post
    I'm happy with my G43 plus gadget.

For a user who wanted G43 size TDA would the PX4 subcompact converted to decocker only with this kit https://www.langdontactical.com/px4-...cocking-lever/ be the best option, in current production? I can tell the slide is wide but I haven't handled one, is it reasonably slim through the grip or is it G26 width?
    That’s a good question. I’ve handled (but not shot) a PX4 compact but it just didn’t grab me. I haven’t held the subcompact so I don’t know if that magical connection might be there or not.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter

Let’s be honest. PPKs are shitty over fated guns and unless you have the small creepy carnival worker hands the slide will cut you.

Quote Originally Posted by John10-19 View Post
    That’s such a chunky gun, hard to put it in the same category as a G43.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Let’s be honest. PPKs are shitty over fated guns and unless you have the small creepy carnival worker hands the slide will cut you.
    And if you have tiny girl hands the rest of the gun will cut you. It was not fun.

User Tag List