Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS Cycling/Ejection Issue?

Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS Cycling/Ejection Issue?

Hi,

I've noticed an oddity with my new Gen 5 19 MOS. I've tested the following method with a Gen 3 19, Gen 4 26, G43, Gen 5 19, 19X, and Gen 5 19 MOS. The new Gen 5 MOS seems to cause a strange extraction/ejection issue. To all Gen 5/Gen 5 MOS users, please try the following and post your findings.

The Test: Load a round into the chamber and then slowly pull the slide back to extract/eject the round. Try this with and without the magazine inserted. When I do this with the Gen 5 MOS, the round gets hung up and will not be ejected with ease, it just stays attached to the extractor. The only way to eject the round is to cycle the slide with force. I noticed this issue when I was dry firing and tried clearing the chamber and the round would not eject.

When I do this with every other Glock, the round is pulled out by the extractor and glides right over the ejector causing the round to fall out very easily. Using my current sample size, I imagine this is considered proper ejection and extraction for the pistols. Also, I've never had a single failure with any of these pistols that exhibit this behavior.

This is where I request the help of PF. I swapped out the extractor and ejector with my older Gen 5 19 thinking that would solve the problem, but it did absolutely nothing. The older 19 uses the 30274 ejector and the new MOS uses the 47021 (as does the 19X). I then placed the MOS slide on the older Gen 5 frame and the issue remained. I placed the older Gen 5 slide on the newer frame and the gun cycled perfectly. Using this data, I believe I've narrowed the issue down to the slide. Is it safe to say my slide is out of spec or is this considered proper function?

I had the same hangup with ejecting a round by hand when I pull the slide back slowly on my Gen 5 MOS, but zero issues with the 500 rounds fired so far. Compared to my older Gen 4 Glocks, I assumed the Gen 5 hangup was due to the stronger extractor spring holding the round in the slide tighter. Provided the Gen 5 MOS doesn't have issues ejecting during live fire I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfeder530 View Post
    I had the same hangup with ejecting a round by hand when I pull the slide back slowly on my Gen 5 MOS, but zero issues with the 500 rounds fired so far. Compared to my older Gen 4 Glocks, I assumed the Gen 5 hangup was due to the stronger extractor spring holding the round in the slide tighter. Provided the Gen 5 MOS doesn't have issues ejecting during live fire I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thank you for taking the time to test this.

I noticed this with my Glock 45. They made a slight grove cut in the slide, opposite of the extractor. This causes this deresistance you feel. On the plus side, it helps hold the case in place so that the ejector hits the empty case with authority. My Glock 45 ejects the empty 9mm cases farther than any 9mm handgun I’ve used over the last 30 years.

I was told that Glock has included this change into the entire Gen5 line going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I noticed this with my Glock 45. They made a slight grove cut in the slide, opposite of the extractor. This causes this deresistance you feel. On the plus side, it helps hold the case in place so that the ejector hits the empty case with authority. My Glock 45 ejects the empty 9mm cases farther than any 9mm handgun I’ve used over the last 30 years.

I was told that Glock has included this change into the entire Gen5 line going forward.
    Thank you!

Site Supporter
    When I do this with every other Glock, the round is pulled out by the extractor and glides right over the ejector causing the round to fall out very easily. Using my current sample size, I imagine this is considered proper ejection and extraction for the pistols. Also, I've never had a single failure with any of these pistols that exhibit this behavior.
    Glock has made some changes to the Gen 5’s but is not an “issue” rather it is a fix to a long term “issue” with Glocks.

Pistols are not made to extract and eject “slowly by hand” they are made to function at full speed as generated by the recoil of a fired cartridge.

What you are seeing is the improved extraction and ejection engineered into the Gen5 series. This was discussed in one of the Gen 5 or 19x threads.

For decades Glock has gotten by with minimally functional extraction and ejection, essentially using the top round in the magazine as a de facto ejector.

The “gliding over the ejector” you see in the earlier guns is NOT proper functioning. I’ve seen a bigger sample size than the OP including numerous Gen 3 & 4 Glocks exhibit extraction and ejection issues.

The new ejector and accompanying breech face cuts are discussed here : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....7-and-34-5-19X
    Last edited by HCM; 11-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Glock has made some changes to the Gen 5a but is not an “issue” rather it is a fix to a long term “issue” with Glocks.

Pistols are not made to extract and eject “slowly by hand” they are made to function at full speed as generated by the recoil of a fired cartridge.

What you are seeing is the improved extraction and ejection engineered into the Gen5 series. This was discussed in one of the Gen 5 or 19x threads.

For decades Glock has gotten by with minimally functional extraction and ejection, essentially using the top round in the magazine as a de facto ejector.

The “gliding over the ejector” you see in the earlier guns is NOT proper functioning. I’ve seen a bigger sample size than the OP including numerous Gen 3 & 4 Glocks exhibit extraction and ejection issues.
    You're absolutely correct

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    You're absolutely correct
    Related prior thread : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....7-and-34-5-19X

Also discussed in the latter part of the G45 thread. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-new-Glock-G45
    Last edited by HCM; 11-22-2018 at 02:53 PM.

My G45 does the same. It’s a good thing: As HCM described the ejection is much stronger and more consistent than previous Glocks. I’ve had crazy consistent ejection and no brass to fase in 1200 rounds. Just be careful when you clear the chamber to make sure the hand-ejected round actually ejects and you don’t carelessly rechamber it.
    Last edited by Super77; 11-22-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Related prior thread : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....7-and-34-5-19X

Also discussed in the latter part of the G45 thread. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-new-Glock-G45
    Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

User Tag List