Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Pro Surefire 1911 Magazine. Gimmick or Panacea?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The video looks way over the top, like one of the urban carry holster videos. However, if the mag works who cares?
    With 1911 mags, just because the gun “works” doesn’t mean it’s working correctly. There are specific principles at work with how the 1911 feeds, a fact snake oil salesmen hope you and other gun owners don’t bother to research.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I would be interested to see high speed video of a WC 47 or a Metalform round follower mag feeding.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nearly all the 1911 mag problems I ever had I can track back to 8 round mags using a standard 1911 mag body (in general)...either the original Wilson 47D and it's mag springs that last 3-4 times (causing misfeeds due to the lack of spring pressure after a short time), or Colt factory 8 rounders, or even the Checkmate 8 round hybrid lipped mags that are one of the flavors of hotness on some of the various 1911 boards. About a year and a half ago I spent an afternoon at the range practicing and plinking with a 1911 with a can on it...made an interesting discovery. As the gun got dirtier and dirtier (pretty easy to accelerate with a can on to be honest), the slide stop engaged the slide less and less, until it wound up actually rounding off and ruining the slide stop notch in the slide. I actually wound up sending the slide back to Colt who graciously fixed it. Anyway - I went out with another 1911 and did some tests...8 round mags, because the rear follower leg is shortened to stuff that 8th round in there, the follower tends to tilt down at the front. Not usually noticeable when shooting ball, but it starts adding up quickly when the slide stop starts getting fouled up and it needs more and more spring pressure to push it up all the way. You could tell; even after 3 or 4 mags with a can on, the slide stop was really only engaging in the notch about half way up; you could push it up the rest of the way in the notch. The factory 7 round mags though, with their longer follower leg, didn't tilt at all and worked just fine, and fully engaged the notch every time, no matter how dirty the gun was. Wilson ETM/HD mags with the flat wire spring also worked %100 even when the gun was royally gummed up. I prefer the factory 7 round style mags; I like the feed lip profile better...but the Wilson ETM/HD mags work too. Both in 7 and 8 round flavors, though the 8 rounders extend out a bit from the bottom of the grip. Well designed mag IMO; they didn't try to stuff 8 rounds into something not designed for it from the ground up. Smart move.

That was about the end of testing with the can on, to give an idea of what I mean by fouled and gunk And no, not a bobble. I think the round count that day topped out at 250. At some point I really didn't need to continue. I know, not a huge amount for a day, but with a can on... The first 100 was unsuppressed, only the last 150 was suppressed. The 100 unsuppressed, the 8 round mags generally functioned as you would expect; the slide stop fully filled the slide stop notch when the gun wasn't very fouled. It didn't start becoming a problem until I put the can on and it started getting really dirty.

Anyway, the point of that was - I can see that also contributing to nose-down misfeeds in a 1911, with the follower being able to tilt that much easier on an 8 round mag.

I'd say either just stick with GI or Colt/factory style 7 round mags which generally won't tilt by design though you're on your own with some of the known problem children bullet profiles, or go with something like a Wilson ETM/HD mag that doesn't use the standard 1911-type follower; something that can't tilt.

That mag in the ad looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist unless you force it into being IMO...
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 11-17-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Updated with correct round count and breakdown

As most probably know, the cartridge gap increases as the number of rounds in the mag increases. Load a mag with 5 rounds and note that there will be little or no gap between the round under the feed lips and the next round down. Add another round or two and note that the gap appears and then increases as the mag reaches full capacity.

This is the problem with 8 round mags. That top round has a pretty big gap and really tilts down when pushed forward by the slide.

Tripp and Wilson ETMs have a bit longer body that allows for more spring. This helps push the cartridge stack up against the feed lips. Tripp mags go a little farther by sitting fractionally higher in the gun. This also helps since the cartridge now sits a tiny bit more in line with the feed ramp. Not sure about ETM mags. Do they sit higher in the gun?

The down side to the Tripp is they can sit a little too high and hit against the ejector and/or actually push the extracting shell casing up in the breech face and away from the ejector. But I think this is only the case in a very few pistols that happen to be built on the high end of spec rather than somewhere in the middle or near the bottom where most guns probably are.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Especially with the claim that it speeds up the guns cycling speed.
    They need Assailant Arms to do an infomercial for them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Vending Machine Operator
    My Wilson ETM magazines (x2) have run my Colt for over 1,000 rounds out of the box, still has never been cleaned since original purchase in 2016, without a single bobble (though admittedly it's starting to get sluggish).

That doesn't need improved upon. Quality 1911, quality Wilson magazine, decent maintenance and parts replacement regimen. This magazine looks like a new type of failure to learn, given that all parts break eventually.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-26-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Typos
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    At this point, I am far more comfortable spending 39.00 on a Wilson ETM or Tripp. In a FEW YEARS, if the mag works, if the finger thingy stays "tensioned" and does not break off and if they were 10-15 dollars cheaper (i.e. in CMC Power Mag land which, when fresh, run fine in my Kimber "Series 1" 1911) then why not.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    At this point, I am far more comfortable spending 39.00 on a Wilson ETM or Tripp. In a FEW YEARS, if the mag works, if the finger thingy stays "tensioned" and does not break off and if they were 10-15 dollars cheaper (i.e. in CMC Power Mag land which, when fresh, run fine in my Kimber "Series 1" 1911) then why not.
    Apparently these have been out since 2015. Heck, I thought I'd found something brand new to market.

@vcdgrips

Do you have any experience with the Railed Power Mags? Is there something different about the mag's guts or is it all in the tube and feed lips?

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-26-2018 at 05:38 PM.

User Tag List