Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Pro Surefire 1911 Magazine. Gimmick or Panacea?

Gun Pro Surefire 1911 Magazine. Gimmick or Panacea?

Have we talked about these here on the board? If so, I apologize in advance for re-hashing something already discussed.

Anyway, I was poking around on the webz today and came across this website. I have to say I'm intrigued by the idea of the little finger that prevents the top round in the stack from nose diving.

Questions:

1. What happens if and when the little finger breaks? Does it get tangled up inside the pistol?
    2. How durable is the mag outside the gun? Will dropping during a reload, etc cause catastrophic problems?
    3. How well does the little finger work with truncated cone or SWC ammo? Something that's not a round nose profile?

Here's the mag in question:

https://gunpro.us/product/govt-1911-8rd/

Site Supporter
    Huh...never seen anything like that before but my knee jerk reaction is "gimmick". Especially with the claim that it speeds up the guns cycling speed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Here's a YouTube video showing the mag in action.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 11-16-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    The video looks way over the top, like one of the urban carry holster videos. However, if the mag works who cares?

.....Consults 1911 book on Controlled Feed Principles.

Yup, hot garbage.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Not something I'd mess with.

Try these
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/...ductinfo/800A/

Site Supporter
    If a gun doesn't run with Wilson 47 mags (and other well regarded types) there is probably something wrong with the gun that needs to be tuned. Counting on a specific magazine with a non-standard feature to make a gun reliable might not be the best idea, especially when it comes to .45 1911s. It should run with any quality magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    If a gun doesn't run with Wilson 47 mags (and other well regarded types) there is probably something wrong with the gun that needs to be tuned. Counting on a specific magazine with a non-standard feature to make a gun reliable might not be the best idea, especially when it comes to .45 1911s. It should run with any quality magazine.
    I agree.

I know this isn't exactly germane to the topic, but it does seem a little goofy to me that what seems like all of a sudden a 1911 needs some special sauce to function. I know @Tokarev and I have experience with the current Rugers, and they are just built to what I think is a solid tolerance level that can be accomplished at a reasonable price point with modern methods, and the three I have run just like the various other 1911s I have shot (a fairly reasonable amount) over the last ~four decades. For the 9mm guns I have pretty much standardized on Wilson mags, but other than that nothing special. Admittedly most of my round count is practice ball ammo, but damn...

I still think much of Glock's reputation for reliability comes from making their spare magazines widely available at a reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    ...seems like all of a sudden a 1911 needs some special sauce...
    I don't think it is a case of "all of a sudden" at all. Custom gunsmiths have been tweaking mag feed lips and polishing feed ramps for decades. Not to mention tweaking extractors and polishing hooks and breech faces. There have also been integral feed ramp barrels that require frame modifications and magazine releases that raise magazine height slightly. And Colt has a grooved feed ramp they've been using for ten or fifteen years. All this stuff is supposed to help 1911 feeding reliability.

Then there are the various magazines. Some have abrupt feed lips and others have more of a tapered release. Some use extra power springs and others have hybrid followers.

Lots of choices out there, that's for sure.

Just for the record; I have a couple different 1911s and have more or less standardized on the Tripp mags. Still, I'm always curious about new ideas and technology.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I don't think it is a case of "all of a sudden" at all... Still, I'm always curious about new ideas and technology.
    I was just logging back in, because while in the shower I contemplated that perhaps some of us (me...) might be all in favor of innovation, and then all too quick to suddenly declare an innovation to be stupid
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-17-2018 at 10:35 AM.

User Tag List