Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 295: Finding Your Level

Week 295: Finding Your Level

Week 295: Finding Your Level

Results may be posted until December 16th, 2018.

Designed by CCT125US
    Range: 5yd
    Target: Shape Target V4 MOD (attached)
    Start position: varies
    Rounds fired: 10

This drill is designed to improve shooter accuracy and speed. Shapes can be shot in any order. You will need a shot timer for levels 2-4. When you can shoot a level clean, twice in a row, it is time to increase difficulty. When a shooter cleans level 4 twice, increase rd per shape by 1.

Please see the target for a further description of the various Levels.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol and holster used (if applicable)
    Level attempted
    Hits for each shape
    Anything you noticed

Please feel free to report multiple runs/advancing in levels.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

SHAPE TARGET V4 MOD.pdf
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I shot this, Glock 34.3, ALS holster. I threw the targets away so I can’t give details. Moral of the story, I could get to level 3, but the 1” square, and flinch on the 2” circle was eye opening.

This will be a part of my training. I’ve never had a flinch issue until this drill.

Awesome dotw.

Pistol: New to me Gen5 Model45(“Stealth X” is my tag for it), with GLOCK “Bold” night sights, .180 orange front.
    WW 147 fmj fn, from the ready @5 yards(Level 1).
    Results: 20 hits for 20 shots, so I will move to timed from ready(!).
    I shot this from large to small, first shots after installing Bold sights. Mildly and pleasantly surprised at results-I had not shot this pistol for weeks, although I did dryfire it a bit. I am working on putting my trigger finger further into/onto trigger. Instead of tip or 1st pad, actually close to first joint. Something’s working!
    A good drill, and the 1 inch square could be intimidating. I think trying to “force” the shot could(obviously)be detrimental. Got to just trust the sight “movie”(wobble-thanks, Mr. White!) and work the trigger carefully and deliberately.

Well, pride sometimes goeth before the fall, and I don’t want to jinx myself, but feeling pretty sporty, I shot this after lunch on the department range. This was done with my current carry piece, a privately owned Gen5 G26 with “Bold”
    night sights(orange front, .200 height). Ammo was department practice Winchester 147 fmj.
    Result: 20/20, so when I get my courage up again, go to timed fire.
    Mildly interesting, but I have been working with this gun for a month or so, fairly solidly, to include a match or two(small
    IDPA, 2nd behind a local SWAT guy) and some focused dry firing. Groups were a bit better than the “Stealth X” this
    AM(!). Seems a bit of practice works, who’d a thunk it?!?
    On the first four to large circle, I triggered a timer. That was 3.55 seconds, so my work is clear.
    Thanks again to Mr. White for his work.

I apologize; also thanks to CCT125US for this challenging drill!

So, with a little trepidation, ran this twice with the “Stealth X”(G45).
    Raw score: 15/20 hits, but I kept track of times, too:
    4” circle: 2.15, 2.24. One low first, two high second.
    3” square: 1.99 both runs, clean(!)
    2” circle: 2, 1.70; 1st run clean, 2nd= 1 high
    1” square: 2.56-but nailed it(!); 2nd,2.15, but hit high out of square.
    I’m stoked on this one-it’s doable(at least for me) at Level 2.
    Will definitely hit it again, pun intended!

Pistol used: Glock 17 Gen. 4 with factory trigger; S&B factory ammo, PF>140
    Holster used: Kydex Holsters Bulgaria
    Level attempted: 3
    Hits for each shape: 10/10
    Anything I noticed: It's my very first tryout on this drill as I'll have to increase the speed a little bit next time.

Nice job, sir!
    I went at this again at the end of the day on a lit indoor range. “Stealth X”(GModel45) w/Bold sights(changed to .200 high orange front). Ammo was 147 Winchester fmj. 2.5 seconds from the ready.
    I ran twice-clean up to the 1” square-jerked both low left. I kept track of times:
    4” circle: 2.14, 2.20
    3” square: 1.72, 1.92
    2” circle: 2.00, 1.64
    1” square: 1.74, 1.46(!)
    Obviously, can use the time better on the 1” square.
    This is doable, and I will keep at it!

Pistol: GLOCK Model45(“Stealth X”)
    Level 2: 19/20; 1st run shoved the shot on 1” square low-2nd: obliterated the “X” in the center(!).
    All else clean on time and hits. I did not record times as I was shooting with a friend who timed.
    Noted: it’s almost a cliche, but you just have to shoot the shot; the successful 1” shot was in .80(!), but it didn’t seem rushed. I seemed more conscious of the front sight moving on the individual targets. I appreciate @GJM’s comment on single handed shooting-“aim while you are pulling the trigger”, and think it applies to all styles.
    There is a definite difference in ammo. Shot most with Federal “Syntec” 150 grain-very soft. Some 124 +P was certainly different!
    I will run this again to clean at least L2.

Got to report the “mediocre” with the good.
    “Stealth X” with Winchester 147 fmj practice. If I took the first run of today, with my last run of the other day coulda “passed”. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...
    18/20; 2nd run, threw one on the 2” circle, then the 1” square. Dang it!
    Still like this drill, and will clean it twice in a row at Level 2 before I am done!

User Tag List