Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Actual experience on revolver reliability in sandy, dirty environments

I grew up shooting and hunting with S&W revolvers in central Oklahoma. Not desert and no sandstorms, but plenty of fine airborne particulate. I never had an issue with dust, but unburned grains of 2400 would occasionally get stuck under the extractor star and things would get sluggish. A quick pass from a toothbrush or shirt-tail put it right every time. Occasionally the ejector rod would back out on a Model 29, but I never saw that on anything other than a 44. Smith 22's will get gummy if you shoot them much. How gummy varies with the kind of ammo you use. That was always more of a problem than dust.

Unfortunately, I've dropped revolvers over the years. I'm not sure how every one of them manages to land on the rear sight, but they do.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Try dropping one so that it lands on the back of the left-side recoil shield. It'll bind up the hand in its window. Delicate rapping with a wooden hammer handle can fix that.

(Don't ask.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Many years ago, a Dan Wesson locked up due to crud and grit under the ejector star. That cured me of using revolvers under difficult conditions.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

You all realize NSW carried 686's for OTB operations for many years, right?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    You all realize NSW carried 686's for OTB operations for many years, right?
    I was not aware, and would be interested in any details of the choice and rationale that you are at liberty to discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Are Rugers more resistant than S&W to this type of thing or not really?
    Probably not, but I would submit that they would be easier to take apart and blow any crud out.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

CBP used revolvers for decades. A flap holster and regular inspection will keep things tidy.

That said, someone around here has tale of taking a dunk in a marsh and getting their revolver filled with fine silt. It took a serious cleaning to get the gun working again. I believe their answer to that was a Glock.

I’ve never had an issue, but I usually carry a revolver in an HPG kit bag when out hiking/wandering in sandy environs. If a belt holster is necessary, chances are good, I’m packing a 1911 instead.

I do find it a heck of a lot easier to clean semi-autos in the field, than revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    CBP used revolvers for decades. A flap holster and regular inspection will keep things tidy.

That said, someone around here has tale of taking a dunk in a marsh and getting their revolver filled with fine silt. It took a serious cleaning to get the gun working again. I believe their answer to that was a Glock.

I’ve never had an issue, but I usually carry a revolver in an HPG kit bag when out hiking/wandering in sandy environs. If a belt holster is necessary, chances are good, I’m packing a 1911 instead.

I do find it a heck of a lot easier to clean semi-autos in the field, than revolvers.

Just wash em out in the creek. I once wrecked a horse on a muddy logging road. We went down together and I landed on my right/carry side with the horse coming over top of me. the thong holding the Smith in broke releasing my pistol into the mud. After I gathered myself and caught the horse, I realized the gun was gone. It took several minutes digging around in the mud. When I finally found it, every nook and cranny was filled. So I did the only thing logical to a teen aged boy, I washed it out in the creek, ammo too. Once got everything clear of mud I checked my ammo by loading it back up and firing all 6 rounds into the nearest stump.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 11-16-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Just wash em out in the creek.
    Not that many creeks out in the desert and high desert where I usually work. And pouring your drinking water on a gun isn't a wise idea if avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I was not aware, and would be interested in any details of the choice and rationale that you are at liberty to discuss.
    I ran into a couple of those gentlemen in a hangar in Thailand during Cobra Gold in the late 80’s. They were in full kit and refused to talk to anyone. They just sat there on a pallet waiting for something like a couple of yard gnomes. At least one of them had a stainless revolver. I remember thinking that it looked like a Ruger Speed Six.

The SAS guys I knew preferred Victory Model S&W’s to the BHP for water ops. That strikes me as utterly backwards but they live in a country with a shitload of beaches so I’ll defer.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 11-16-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List