Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Actual experience on revolver reliability in sandy, dirty environments

From Greg Walker’s “Eye of the Hurricane” (which is semi-autobiographical), page 91, re: Special Forces Advisors in El Salvador between 1980-1985.

Indeed, the threat level was so intense that many SF advisers made use of the embassy’s unique purchasing plan for civilian small arms. Using their own funds, operators ordered large-caliber revolvers such as the Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum or high-capacity 9mm automatics like the Sig Sauer P-226 for personal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    From Greg Walker’s “Eye of the Hurricane” (which is semi-autobiographical), page 91, re: Special Forces Advisors in El Salvador between 1980-1985.
    At the risk of being overly pedantic, I think you're referenceing At The Hurricane's Eye.

As an aside, if you're interested in matters South, during the same time frame, you might enjoy Not Your Father's Coast Guard.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Germans had one for a Smith 625. I think it encased the cylinder.
    More here. It was a beast, 7.5lbs unloaded.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    More here. It was a beast, 7.5lbs unloaded.
    Huh. It weighs a pound or two more than an MP5SD and holds 20% of the ammo. I wonder why it didn't catch on?

It looks very Star Wars though.

I kinda want one.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    So long as this thread has the historcal .mil rabbit hole opening up, may as well add in a few hearty rats...

Talk about some brave dudes!

I have run my model 19 through two pistol/carbine courses. Both in az desert. There is a photo of it on here somewhere.

One I ran 420 38 hand loads through it. Unique powder. Everyone who loads knows it gets dirty. Zero issues.

The second I ran 350 357 hand loads through it. 2400. A little cleaner.

It is my dads old pd gun. So god knows how manyy rounds through it.

It ran flawless.

Nelson Ford did an action job on it a few years back

Indeed, the threat level was so intense that many SF advisers made use of the embassy’s unique purchasing plan for civilian small arms. Using their own funds, operators ordered large-caliber revolvers such as the Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum or high-capacity 9mm automatics like the Sig Sauer P-226 for personal carry.
    Not sure how many of those M-29's ever made it into holsters down South. Dirty Harry movies were still coming out in those days, and M-29s were really hard to find because of all the goobers buying them up. I remember seeing them for as high $750. (For perspective, a buck sergeant's pay was around $500 in those days, and a Rolex Submariner was $900.) Embassy pricing would have been about like wholesale, or probably around $225. Most SF guys were on six-month or shorter TDY rotations, and I'd bet that most of the M-29's were resold at a substantial profit as soon as they got back home. And that pattern may have been repeated every trip.

Allegedly.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 11-20-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    At the risk of being overly pedantic, I think you're referenceing At The Hurricane's Eye.

As an aside, if you're interested in matters South, during the same time frame, you might enjoy Not Your Father's Coast Guard.
    Damn Pedants, can't go anywhere without running into them. You are correct sir.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Not sure how many of those M-29's ever made it into holsters down South. Dirty Harry movies were still coming out in those days, and M-29s were really hard to find because of all the goobers buying them up. I remember seeing them for as high $750. (For perspective, a buck sergeant's pay was around $500 in those days, and a Rolex Submariner was $900.) Embassy pricing would have been about like wholesale, or probably around $225. Most SF guys were on six-month or shorter TDY rotations, and I'd bet that most of the M-29's were resold at a substantial profit as soon as they got back home. And that pattern may have been repeated every trip.

Allegedly.

Okie John
    That's pretty interesting.

___

Another ref in the Walker book is about Lt. Commander (ret) Michael J. Walsh, a 26-year SEAL Vet, this one is from Operation Urgent Fury (Invasion of Grenada in 1983), then Lt. Walsh

Walsh had been up for nearly forty-eight hours. His uniform was damp, belly empty, and his face unshaved. Always at his side was the stainless steel .357 Magnum revolver. "General Schwarzkopf was looking at a map. He wanted some information about a specific area, and I remember him calling me over to where he stood. 'Hey, Boy. Come over here...' is how he put it." Walsh's hair stood up on the back of his neck. Assuming the most professional air he could the Lieutenant informed Schwarzkopf, "he could call me 'Walsh', 'Lieutenant Walsh', or 'Lieutenant.' And I'd respond to any of those but I was not his 'boy'." ... Schwarzkopf mulled over what he had just been told before responding, "Fine. Now would you please come over here and point something out to me?"
    I'm sure that any gun would've been fine on Lt. Walsh's hip during that exchange with a Two-Star General, but I like to think the stainless steel .357 Magnum emphasized his point.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-20-2018 at 10:17 PM.

That's pretty interesting.
    TDY money was off the hook back in the day. It led more than a few people astray.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List