Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HiTS Steyr AUG asymetric carbine course-2019

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    I'm tentatively in, subject to scheduling. I already have two weekends in April blocked for work-related travel but I'll make every effort to get to this if I can evade conflicts.
    Last edited by Notorious E.O.C.; 11-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Damn, I really wish I were able to make this I hope someone writes up a good AAR and maybe takes some videos if possible.

If anyone in AZ wants to go and needs a loaner let me know.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Depending on final scheduling I'm in.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

This is cool and different. Jealous.
    #RESIST

Update, we had a bunch if requests for an AK class that is not the Uber Spetznaz flaming Hind helicopter type of thing. Wayne is imminently qualified to teach a solid basics of how to run the AK after spending years in Iraq doing exactly that for the Iraqi police.

So, we thought it would be interesting to do a two day “Asymetric Carbine” class for a couple very viable defense carbines that are not AR’s and the class would be on simple TTP’s for running and maintaining the AK based guns on day one and the AUG on day two. We should have some loaners of both for those who have one or the other.

I have always found that having not just passing familiarity, but actually knowing how run a variety of common systems is a solid skill set to have. Kind of like knowing how to shoot and run a Revolver, 1911, And TDA even if you just shoot Glocks. People who are familiar with how we take a solid, simple, safe, fundamentals based approach to teaching will find that we will do the exact same thing with the AK and AUG platforms.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 12-16-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Update, we had a bunch if requests for an AK class that is not the Uber Spetznaz flaming Hind helicopter type of thing. Wayne is imminently qualified to teach a solid basics of how to run the AK after spending years in Iraq doing exactly that for the Iraqi police.

So, we thought it would be interesting to do a two day “Asymetric Carbine” class for a couple very viable defense carbines that are not AR’s and the class would be on simple TTP’s for running and maintaining the AK based guns on day one and the AUG on day two. We should have some loaners of both for those who have one or the other.

I have always found that having not just passing familiarity, but actually knowing how run a variety of common systems is a solid skill set to have. Kind of like knowing how to shoot and run a Revolver, 1911, And TDA even if you just shoot Glocks. People who are familiar with how we take a solid, simple, safe, fundamentals based approach to teaching will find that we will do the exact same thing with the AK and AUG platforms.
    Sir are we having trouble getting enough students for just an AUG class? While not a master with them I have enough trigger time on AK’s to know that I can run one in an emergency if it’s all I have. More importantly I have enough experience with them to know I have zero interest in anything AK. I’m all about a 2 day AUG class and will travel to Dallas for one. I’m not interested in spending a dime on AK’s.

I also have found one day classes typically don’t get in enough reps to feel like I’m building a solid skill set. I was thrilled with the opportunity to spend 2 days working the AUG with one of the few people skilled enough to teach it. I’m going to be extremely disappointed with anything less.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Sir are we having trouble getting enough students for just an AUG class? While not a master with them I have enough trigger time on AK’s to know that I can run one in an emergency if it’s all I have. More importantly I have enough experience with them to know I have zero interest in anything AK. I’m all about a 2 day AUG class and will travel to Dallas for one. I’m not interested in spending a dime on AK’s.

I also have found one day classes typically don’t get in enough reps to feel like I’m building a solid skill set. I was thrilled with the opportunity to spend 2 days working the AUG with one of the few people skilled enough to teach it. I’m going to be extremely disappointed with anything less.
    This is always a balance. I will take this into account. I have learned the hard way that people saying they will spend the coin to come to a class and then actually paying and showing up is another. That experience comes with a deep financial penalty in the lessons learned department. The AK/AUG idea came from students actually in a class....basically, the ones who have shown up. I am still working through this and on a facility. I will keep folks updated. The other option my be an AUG class this year and an AK class on the same format next year.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

A two-day class, 1 day AUG primer with DB and 1 day AK primer with WD.... I can’t commit just yet (sorry, thems the facts at the moment) but that’s a newsletter I’d subscribe too. Heck, if I’m going. To make a trip... do shotgun on Friday too and make it three days.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 12-16-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This is always a balance. I will take this into account. I have learned the hard way that people saying they will spend the coin to come to a class and then actually paying and showing up is another. That experience comes with a deep financial penalty in the lessons learned department. The AK/AUG idea came from students actually in a class....basically, the ones who have shown up. I am still working through this and on a facility. I will keep folks updated. The other option my be an AUG class this year and an AK class on the same format next year.
    I appreciate the consideration and I get that you can be left holding the bag if people back out. I’d like to think between here and LF we have a higher caliber of student and would not leave you hanging.

As for AK’s I actually shot a friend’s Yugo yesterday while at the range zeroing the optic on my AUG. While his rifle is nice enough (for an AK), I was reminded why I have no use for antique weapons.

I’m definitely in for a 2 or even 3 day AUG class. But I can’t justify the time and cost of travel for a one day class.

User Tag List