Thread: Restoring a neglected Swiss vise

Restoring a neglected Swiss vise

As a fan of old stuff, well stocked wood and metal work shops, talented individuals and stories of restoration this video checks a lot of boxes for me...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I've been watching a lot of these types of videos lately. Hand Tool Rescue and Black Beard Projects are a couple of my favorite channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That is a beautiful tool. As hinted by the purchase of new service parts, a similar one is still in production.

https://www.gressel.ch/en/katalog/we...toecke/ps.html

https://www.gressel.ch/storage/brochures/10_Backen.pdf

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-vises-287729/

I'd have liked to see an attempt at gentler rust removal methods, like maybe the white vinegar etch or reverse electrolysis prior to forcing the pieces apart. Might have been able to keep the surface finishes and contours a little more original. Also, going over the lettering with white is almost certainly a case of "over-restoration."

I was happy to see him using ordinary grease. The molybdenum disulfide (dark gray) grease that's very popular has potential to cause issues with corrosion in a humid environment due to the disulfide bits combining with the moisture to make good ol' HSO4- ions on the surface of the part. That's a bad thing, even with grease.

I've found that the Hornady One Shot lube does a decent job holding surface rust at bay on the bare cast iron stuff in my garage, which is quite a task with the humidity around here.

I love a good vise. When I was a shop gopher as a teenager, a Chinese-made vise in a secondary work location cracked the main sliding beam when loaded. One of the mechanics went off about how dangerous that could have been. It was a teachable moment for me, and one of the early reasons I'm willing to put in time and/or money looking for quality tools.

My main vise is an 8-inch Wilton, about 100 lbs of high-grade cast iron and steel. If it doesn't rust away, there's no reason it can't last for centuries. It retails for ~$1000, but I bought it out of a shop that was closing down after not too many years in business, so it was in decent shape and the price was right. I've done a lot of work with it. It's one of those things that you go along with not having for a lot of years, but once you're used to it, you'll never be complete without it. The firmness and solidity with which it locks up is a joy.

I picked up a Panavise off fleabay in basically perfect condition for a great price, with the castings saying Long Beach, CA. According to the company web site, that dates it before 1990. It's far more nicely made than anything I've seen coming from them recently. It's nice for holding little action parts as I knock the burrs off them.

I'll probably pick up something in between, one of these days. When it comes to tools, count me in with the hipster chicks waiting for old German women to die so they can buy quality wool pant suits at the estate sale.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28952
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-14-2018 at 11:47 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I've been watching a lot of these types of videos lately. Hand Tool Rescue and Black Beard Projects are a couple of my favorite channels.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I just watched that one yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List