Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty

Just a quick necro to see if we have reputable test data yet. My high power /loves/ this load -- under 2" when almost everything else except ASYM is 3-4". I like the weight and what it suggests about penetration. I am looking for 15-20" and barrier blind; I have friends who are >20" thick, and I am assured that they contain bones as well.

(Incidentally, this gun only shoots RA9TA to point of aim; it is 3" high and 2" left with everything else. However, it needs new sights, so I will get it regulated for whatever its duty round becomes)

Quote Originally Posted by halodog View Post
    Received four boxes of the new Critical Duty 9mm 135gr +P round from Midway USA ($22.99/box - 20/box). Fed fine through my G19. I "test" my carry ammo by shooting into 4 gallon jugs of distilled water at 15 feet from first jug. The Critical Duty round went through all 4 jugs and I couldn't find the slug. This is the only defensive round I've ever shoot through this "test" that went through all 4 jugs. tnoutdoors9 who puts his tests on youtube tested this round through gel and got a 16.75" penetration (4 layers of denim) with 0.52" expansion. Little too much penetration and expansion for my tastes. Conclusion: I'm staying with my Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P round (13.5" penetration with 0.75" expansion).
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZFZFmBKa0"]
    Sounds pretty much identical to how Hornady's XTP's perform... Less expansion than you see with other bullets but much more penetration. That's their niche I guess.

Hornady has been the red headed stepchild of defensive ammo for years, they haven't offered anything for a long time to compete with the Rangers, Gold Dots and HST's.

User Tag List