Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Tip No. 253 Fear Not The Rock!

Reloading Tip No. 253 Fear Not The Rock!

If you're like me, you look at your pile of 248 bazillion hard to come by (ahem) 9mm brass and wonder if that will be enough. You hate to toss any brass into the scrap heap knowing it's just so difficult to obtain. (ahem)

I get a fair amount of my brass from the local range, which is covered with pea gravel. Pea gravel likes to hide out in 9mm brass. Sometimes it doesn't come out. I have found that if I invert the brass, rotate it in my fingers while pinching it lightly with my Leatherman pliers, those rocks will fall out most all the time.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    If you're like me, you look at your pile of 248 bazillion hard to come by (ahem) 9mm brass and wonder if that will be enough. You hate to toss any brass into the scrap heap knowing it's just so difficult to obtain. (ahem)

I get a fair amount of my brass from the local range, which is covered with pea gravel. Pea gravel likes to hide out in 9mm brass. Sometimes it doesn't come out. I have found that if I invert the brass, rotate it in my fingers while pinching it lightly with my Leatherman pliers, those rocks will fall out most all the time.
    Thunder ranch in TX used to have gravel that perfectly fit into a .45 case. I used to beat the hell out of my brass after tumbling to try to get the rocks out. I still would go through 3 or 4 decapping pins after a trip down.

Two words: Squirrel Daddy

Decapping pins on Amazon.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I see brass on the ground as a sin but I toss any that requires any effort to use.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Thunder ranch in TX used to have gravel that perfectly fit into a .45 case. I used to beat the hell out of my brass after tumbling to try to get the rocks out. I still would go through 3 or 4 decapping pins after a trip down.
    I have a small collection of TR rocks on one of my benches as a souvenir. Fond memories. 😄😄
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop...in-holders/19/

I use these decapping pin holders, a 50-pack of RCBS pins, some red lock-tite and a torch. Even if you break the pin off in the holder you can generally get it to fall out after heating the end of the holder with a torch.

4 in rotation will handle all the 9mm brass I can size/decap/swage in a day at 2400 RPH on an automated 1050. Biggest issue is usually a piece of brass with a damaged case head that slips out of the shell plate and then gets caught at an odd angle in the size/decap station that the pin slides down/pierces it and bends.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-24-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Reloading Tip No. 253 Fear Not The Rock!

Squirrel Daddy pins for Lee decap dies are very durable. They typically last me for >>20k rounds.

Hardened Steel Decapping Pin Upgrade for Lee 90783 / 90292 (3 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018V7L3C2..._e5E-BbVNVSN3W
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.

I haven't found the Squirrel Daddy pins to be any better than the factory Lee pins. Longer maybe but not really any better, stronger,faster. Plus Lee will send free replacement parts as long as you don't mind paying shipping.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

@Tokarev, are you using the Lee Universal decap die or the resize/decap? The Squirrel Daddy pins in my 9mm resize/decap are much more durable than OEM, and survive rocks and even Berdan primed cases.

@Tokarev, are you using the Lee Universal decap die or the resize/decap? The Squirrel Daddy pins in my 9mm resize/decap are much more durable than OEM, and survive rocks and even Berdan primed cases.
    Universal decapping die in a 1050

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List