Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trainer in North Central WA?

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "North Central WA"...? Okanogon? Wenatchee? Chelan?

What have you got for ranges near you, there are enough Washingtonians here that a course might be gotten together...
    The range facility I use is in Ephrata, WA

This could come together...Spring?
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    The range facility I use is in Ephrata, WA.
    I did my NRA Instructor Certification at Ephrata, the weekend I retired from the Army, but I was thinking of @daved20319, since it sounds like he's pretty limited, geography-wise..
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Ephrata isn't out of the question, but figuring out a schedule that works could be tricky . One quick question for public consumption, then I'll PM Mr. Kelley for some private details. Is the Ephrata range outdoor only, or do they have indoor facilities? An indoor range would certainly open up my scheduling options. Thanks, all!

Dave

Site Supporter
    I think the Okanogan County Sheriff (or folks sort of affiliated with the S.O.) has classes. (no idea what their instruction is like, but I think I've seen trainers advertise classes up there)
    Probably more of a summer, spring thing though, as winter is coming. Or is here.

https://www.facebook.com/Okanogan-Co...3554361321257/

(I'd certainly be interested in anything Mr. Kelley has to offer, when he's up to it)
    Last edited by idahojess; 11-15-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I think the Okanogan County Sheriff (or folks sort of affiliated with the S.O.) has classes. (no idea what their instruction is like, but I think I've seen trainers advertise classes up there)
    Probably more of a summer, spring thing though, as winter is coming. Or is here.

https://www.facebook.com/Okanogan-Co...3554361321257/

(I'd certainly be interested in anything Mr. Kelley has to offer, when he's up to it)
    That does it: we're moving to Okanagon County.
    CITIZEN FIREARMS ACADEMIES

The citizen firearms classes are taught by our state certified firearms instructors. The classes are designed for the general public with instruction ranging from beginner to advanced. The classes teach basic firearms safety, proper shooting techniques, basic firearms maintenance, and legal issues regarding their carry and use.
    See our Citizen Firearms Page for further information
    (.pdf file)
    Citizen Firearms Classes
    We believe that the Constitution of the United States provides that the law abiding citizen has a right to own and possess a firearm. In keeping with this philosophy, we are attempting to provide safe and helpful instruction in the use of firearms.
    The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office provides several classes a year to our citizens.
    They are taught at our state of the art range, by our state certified instructors.
    Also, Larry Vickers trains there. (Although the calendar in that document is 6 years out of date.)
    Last edited by Drang; 11-16-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Vickers was out there last year. I got an invite from a buddy on the force there, but couldn't make it happen with my work schedule.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Have a close friend who works in the center of the state and goes to practice at a range in Yakima. I know who he's trained with. I can check with him about the middle of the state.

John @ Insights is very solid; Marty @ FAS is good; I've taught @ FAS and West Coast Armory, both are very good facilitys. Unfortunately, I do understand they won't work for you.

I am one of the instructors for the classes put on for the public by the Okanogan County SO. There are several tiers of classes from "this is a pistol, this is a round of ammunition, the pointy end goes that way" to an intermediate class for those that have been successful in the first class, to several more challenging classes. The first class, we provide everything for you (Glock 19, ammo, holster, mag pouch, safety gear, etc). For all further classes, you can use our gear if you choose, or you can use your own. Ammo is only provided for the first class though. After you get through the Essentials and Fundamentals classes, things get more interesting. It basically comes down to a 4 hour class on whatever the instructors want to teach. It could be focused on shooting on the move and engaging moving targets, low light engagement, shooting around vehicles, long range precision marksmanship, etc, etc, etc. We also have done basic and advanced AR-15 classes, home defense with marking cartridges, and other types of classes. This year we are going to start to offer medical stabilization classes as well if there is interest. We also do one class a year that is co-taught with the county prosecutor on lawful use of deadly force. All these classes are free to the community and are funded through grants and donations from the community as well as a fundraiser dinner and auction that we do in the fall every year. It's a pretty neat program that we run.

In addition to these classes, we host traveling instructors at our range in the spring and in the fall. We have a No-Fail pistol and Intermediate Carbine with Presscheck Consulting coming up late May and early June and are looking at what to do in the fall. We have had a variety of instructors out here over the years and have been hosting open enrollment classes for the past decade or so. There is a cost associated with these classes, but it is limited to your expenses and whatever the instructor is charging for tuition.

If there are any questions on either of these programs, I can be contacted at my work email of-

swolak@co.okanongan.wa.us

In addition to the training that we have out here, I can recommend Insights classes with Greg or John, and Kevin with Full Spectrum Training and Consulting.

I hope this hopes and if there are any questions, let me know.

Stefan

User Tag List