Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 Matches - 50 Different Guns

Sounds fascinating.

Is there a meaningful way to compare results between guns?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Sounds fascinating.

Is there a meaningful way to compare results between guns?
    USPSA matches vary too much match to match, and different venues bring in different levels of competitors. So the overall rankings aren’t a good indication. With the XD I won production, but was 9th overall. With the E2, I was 5th overall, but only 4th production. The latter match has much heavier competition in the production division.

Also, some guns fair better at different matches than others. For example, I’ve found the XD to be a harder gun to open up with, due to its bore axis and my weaker grip strength. The fortunate part was, that particular match was very accuracy intensive, which was a strong suit for that gun.

The one thing I can come away with are my thoughts and observations. I’m keeping more detailed notes in my spreadsheet. It’s early, so all the guns thus far have been set up solely for competition. Only one of them though (the SV) is part of the current lineup. I’ll be getting to some box stock guns very soon.
    Last edited by Bucky; 11-15-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you related to Enel?
    Don’t you mean Patrick E. Kelley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    USPSA matches vary too much match to match, and different venues bring in different levels of competitors. So the overall rankings aren’t a good indication. With the XD I won production, but was 9th overall. With the E2, I was 5th overall, but only 4th production. The latter match has much heavier competition in the production division.

Also, some guns fair better at different matches than others. For example, I’ve found the XD to be a harder gun to open up with, due to its bore axis and my weaker grip strength. The fortunate part was, that particular match was very accuracy intensive, which was a strong suit for that gun.

The one thing I can come away with are my thoughts and observations. I’m keeping more detailed notes in my spreadsheet. It’s early, so all the guns thus far have been set up solely for competition. Only one of them though (the SV) is part of the current lineup. I’ll be getting to some box stock guns very soon.
    I actually think your ability to shoot the guns and your place in the competition is the best metric you can use. One thing you could do, is run the same drill in practice with each new gun and record your time (just pick something, Dot Torture or something of the like). You can use that as a baseline along with your placement in each match. My guess is, that even though the matches may have different competitors and stages, your particular shooting will regress to your mean and that the mean skill will match your skill on the drill.

In other words, while it's not a 1:1 correlation, my guess is guns you shoot better in X-drill will result in higher placement in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I actually think your ability to shoot the guns and your place in the competition is the best metric you can use. One thing you could do, is run the same drill in practice with each new gun and record your time (just pick something, Dot Torture or something of the like). You can use that as a baseline along with your placement in each match. My guess is, that even though the matches may have different competitors and stages, your particular shooting will regress to your mean and that the mean skill will match your skill on the drill.

In other words, while it's not a 1:1 correlation, my guess is guns you shoot better in X-drill will result in higher placement in competition.
    Dot Torture is too long. Do 3 sets of the FAST or 1 set of Super Test. That’s a fairly short and sweet baseline that covers a few skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

My intent of this exercise was to be less serious than any of this. As much fun as it was breaking out the old XD or even older Elite 2, ultimately there are no expectations of either replacing the current Shadow 2 that I would choose for any serious production competition going forward. In fact, this is the exact opposite, a little off season levity, as well as a bit of nostalgia revisiting what I once thought was the right choice back in the day, and what I liked or disliked about it.

My intent of this exercise was to be less serious than any of this. As much fun as it was breaking out the old XD or even older Elite 2, ultimately there are no expectations of either replacing the current Shadow 2 that I would choose for any serious production competition going forward. In fact, this is the exact opposite, a little off season levity, as well as a bit of nostalgia revisiting what I once thought was the right choice back in the day, and what I liked or disliked about it.
    But, science!

I used 13 different pistols in matches in the last 2 years or so. That’s not counting duplicates of the same model. Not intentionally as part of some quest. I’m not that adventurous. If I’m being honest with myself I kind of feel like an idiot for doing it. I felt more like James Woods “Ooh, a piece of candy!”

After 26 years of shooting competitively, I've switched things up quite a bit to keep things interesting. It's something I've developed quite the reputation for locally. Just to further the absurdity, a month ago I took on a challenge to see how long it takes to shoot 50 different guns in 50 different matches. (No, collection is not that big, there will definitely be some loaners.)

So how crazy is this? Think I can do it? (Only 44 more to go.) Just don't care?
    Sounds fun, and creative. I hope you have a blast (take that blues). Seriously, keep us posted

Holler when you get far enough out there you shoot a KelTec P11 and a 455 Webley in comps.
    Been there, done that, still doing it and got the grip strength to show for it.
    Over 50 guns in 50 matches including several Majors.
    Won 85% the events.

Oh if you really want to up the ante, shoot them at the match without having shot them ever before.

I applaud you mister, it is a fun and knowledge worthy journey.
    You will find out that little matters other than your application of the fundamentals.

Cool to see someone else try this.
    Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 11-16-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

User Tag List