Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the reputation of the Hi Standard K-120 in the past?

What was the reputation of the Hi Standard K-120 in the past?

For those with the memory/experiences/studies of the old days of police work:

What was the daily user's opinion of the High Standard police shotguns in the past? I'm talking 1970's past here probably. It's definitely an old school engineering design. A fixed barrel and 2 3/4 inch chamber probably doomed it in the marketplace but it seems a solid design in any other aspect.

I've got one in nearly un-fired condition and I intend to try it out. I would appreciate tips and observations from those who know. The action just falls open when the bolt release is depressed, fairly impressive. In my limited firing it does need to be snapped to the rear smartly to insure vigorous ejection. It's very compact and seems very stout...

Girlfriends Hi-Standard riot gun jams easily with 70mm shells. They work fine as long as you work the action very energetically, but any slight pause or stutter while working the pump and the shell won't chamber.

It looks like it ought to work more reliably with shorter shells. I've been meaning to buy some 65mm shells for the gun, but I never seem to get around to it.

I have my dad's old patrol shotgun. Good enough for him in the 60's and 70's then as his primary home defense gun until he passed. Now it's mine.

It runs flawless.

Been through a couple courses with it, and yeah the one handed racking if needed is sweet. It rides like it's on butter.

I have never had a malfunction. Of course my only fear would be parts replacement, but what is a firearm if stuck in the safe but a paperweight... use it or lose it. We are only on this rock once.
    Last edited by eb07; 11-22-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I have never had a malfunction.
    What kind of ammunition do you use in your gun?

Actually, now that we are on the subject... Are those original sling mounts? Girlfriends gun didn't come with any (of course, I don't even know if she would want a sling on that gun, just thought I'd ask).

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I have my dad's old patrol shotgun. Good enough for him in the 60's and 70's then as his primary home defense gun until he passed. Now it's mine.

It runs flawless.

Been through a couple courses with it, and yeah the one handed racking if needed is sweet. It rides like it's on butter.

I have never had a malfunction. Of course my only fear would be parts replacement, but what is a firearm if stuck in the safe but a paperweight... use it or lose it. We are only on this rock once.
    Where'd you get that kydex shell holder?

The kydex shell holder is from Safariland.

http://www.safariland.com/miscellane...3.html#start=1
    Last edited by DamonL; 11-23-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Does it work with 1.5" belts?

It's sized for 2.25 but will work on a 1.5. I think the sling in the picture is 1".

I shot mine recently. With Brenneke slugs it printed very high at 50 yards even with the old style rear rifle sight bottomed out. I gave up on that until I can raise the front post a bit and try again, so no comments on slug accuracy yet. I note that eb07's picture shows a rear peep arrangement, that and the quality of the stock is pretty neat.

I was also using cheap 2 3/4 (70mm) Fiocchi buckshot and the fired casings seemed to have a little trouble clearing the ejection port. A firm rearward stroke worked fine but anything else and they would hang up a bit.

I need to seriously clean and lube the interior of this old beast, fix the front sight height and try some other brands of ammo next. I also need to work on my basement...

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    It's sized for 2.25 but will work on a 1.5. I think the sling in the picture is 1".
    Thanks. I ordered one. $10. I guess as long as my body is pushing against my belt it should keep it secure.

Should go good with my shockwave

User Tag List