Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ocasio-Cortez Strong Out of the Gate

Ocasio-Cortez Strong Out of the Gate

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/9cb58aa...io-cortez.html

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the newly elected leftist congresswoman from New York, joined a protest on Tuesday morning inside the offices of Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to call for immediate action on climate change. Ocasio-Cortez and Justice Democrats, the insurgent outfit that promoted challengers from the left throughout the 2018 Democratic primary cycle, accompanied a group of around 150 young people with the Sunrise Movement to implore Pelosi and House leadership to enact an aggressive plan to combat drastic ramifications of climate change. The group’s demands include a push for Pelosi and House leadership to back a “Green New Deal,” a broad plan supported by Ocasio-Cortez and a number of other newly elected Democrats. ...
    Glad to see she's got such a practical understanding of how to win friends and influence people in high places. I hope she persuades many, many of her new colleagues in the House to join her in executing such effective tactics.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    If she can't be an effective politician, at least she won't be ineffective and ugly. Bonus points for giving Pelosi grief.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I expect she is going to be quite entertaining for her whole term.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I expect she is going to be quite entertaining for her whole term.
    I also expect she'll get eaten alive by the establishment.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I also expect she'll get eaten alive by the establishment.
    Nah, she's got it all figured out.
    Right after her "inauguration" http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/0...rated-congress

Sheeesh,

Ocasio-Cortez is about to become wake up call that Slacktivists have never had. Show up to protest your new boss’s office, that’s as uncouth as it gets. Next week O-C will be saying she has “received a cold reception in DC”.

More importantly, this is an important lesson for all of her supporters. Learn to play politics (i.e., “sell out”) or remain irrelevant.

I’m personally looking forward to watching this shitshow hit DC.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Ocasio-Cortez is about to become wake up call that Slacktivists have never had. Show up to protest your new boss’s office, that’s as uncouth as it gets. Next week O-C will be saying she has “received a cold reception in DC”.

More importantly, this is an important lesson for all of her supporters. Learn to play politics (i.e., “sell out”) or remain irrelevant.

I’m personally looking forward to watching this shitshow hit DC.
    I take a different view of this event.

Old school Democrats like Pelosi are perceived to be what they are- ineffective sellouts. The left base wants results , and outspoken radicals like Ocasio-Cortez are the result. If we aren’t careful, the party composition will start looking like other industrialized nations; two flavors of leftism with a tiny side of conservative.

Laugh now , but when a liberal eventually occupies the White House O-C and her kind will be a strategic political concern.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    ...If we aren’t careful, the party composition will start looking like other industrialized nations; two flavors of leftism with a tiny side of conservative.

Laugh now , but when a liberal eventually occupies the White House...
    I agree. This is my serious face.

I’m still entertained by the whole O-C train though. For now.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I take a different view of this event.

Old school Democrats like Pelosi are perceived to be what they are- ineffective sellouts. The left base wants results , and outspoken radicals like Ocasio-Cortez are the result. If we aren’t careful, the party composition will start looking like other industrialized nations; two flavors of leftism with a tiny side of conservative.

Laugh now , but when a liberal eventually occupies the White House O-C and her kind will be a strategic political concern.
    While I grant you that this is one possibility, I'm more of a believer in history than 'hope'.

O-C and her kind have to, literally, outlive the Pelosis and Feinsteins of the world and they have to outlive their 15 minutes of fame too. They have to gain access to critical committees, serve as chairs, and shape strategy in more intelligent and political ways than a bullhorn soapbox call in front of a fellow congresswoman's office. I'm seeing the same thing happen in my own career and the simple reality is, the politically adroit people move to the top and the outspoken challengers burnout and fade away. While I think outspoken challengers have more staying power now than in the past (simply because of social media), the soundbites are shorter, the message is less articulate, and they have political ability of a bull in a china shop.

I view O-C's actions for exactly what they are, petulant and immature. I'm confident that Congresswoman Pelosi views them in the same light, though she'll pay lip service to O-C's "fortitude and conviction" in front of a mic, behind closed doors, she'll maneuver to put O-C on the dullest committees the House has to offer. At least O-C will have a ready made excuse when she comes up for re-election, "I can't pass meaningful legislation by myself!" - Exactly.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-13-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    O-C and her kind have to, literally, outlive the Pelosis and Feinsteins of the world ....
    Not a high bar to meet- Pelosi is 78 years old.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List