Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police shoot uniformed security guard

Police shoot uniformed security guard

Early report, but doesn’t sound good.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/13/66725...pected-shooter

When police arrived on the scene of a shooting over the weekend at a bar outside Chicago, witnesses say Jemel Roberson, a 26-year-old security guard who worked there, had already subdued the alleged assailant, pinning him to the ground.

Adam Harris, who was at Manny's Blue Bar in Robbins at the time of the incident on Sunday, told WGN-TV that Roberson was holding "somebody on the ground with his knee in his back, with his gun in his back" when officers from neighboring Midlothian got there early Sunday.

That's when Midlothian Police Chief Daniel Delaney said one of his officers "encountered a subject with a gun" and shot him, according to a statement given to the media.

But the "subject" was Roberson, not the suspect in the bar shooting.

Witnesses say Roberson was wearing his uniform, including a hat emblazoned with the word "security" and was holding a firearm he was licensed to carry.....

I definitely don’t think this was a good shoot, but they got a few pertinent facts wrong:

* his “uniform” consisted of being dressed all in black with a “security hat.”
    * he was not licensed to carry. He had a FOID which is just a license to possess. No word if he had a PERC card.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 11-13-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Thanks for the corrections. It’ll be interesting to get more details about what happened.

It is tragic, but training budgets being what they are it’s an inevitable one. Dispatch says there’s a suspect with a gun at Location X, responding officers see a guy with a gun at Location X. Training officers to discern details on the spot takes time and costs money, two things suburban Chicago LE don’t have much of.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    * he was not licensed to carry. He had a FOID which is just a license to possess. No word if he had a PERC card.
    In IL a FOID holder can carry in a home or business without a CCW.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 11-13-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Banned
    This is pretty close to what my uniform looks like my sleeves are long though.

And across the back of every piece of uniform that they give me it says Security in six inch tall bright white letters. Most of the time I wear a bright yellow safety vest that also says Security on it.

My employer wants to make absolutely positive that the police know who I am when they show up on site
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-13-2018 at 10:50 AM.

This shows emphatically why I urge all my agents to keep a traffic vest in their office/backpack for active shooter situations. Pretty easy to throw on, and the bright vest with giant "POLICE" lettering makes it easier for responding uniformed officers to know that the plain-clothes guy with a gun is NOT the BG they're looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    (snip) In IL a FOID holder can carry in a home or business without a CCW.
    Correct - but the NPR piece specifically implied he had a FCCL.

Plus, unless he had a PERC card that FOID authority stops at the lot line. I’m not completely sure about this due to the reporting being a mess, but he may have been on public property during the fight. I saw mention that his name didn’t show in the DPR website, but that’s not firsthand.

Armed security + no PERC = a bad situation for everyone, let alone the poor dead guy.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Curious, does a "security " shirt and hat mean you're automatically the good guy? How tightly regulated are they? Anymore then the CCW badge?

How many people who carry in plain clothes, regardless of job function or employer, are trained and practiced on dealing with responding uniformed officers?

You do not have a halo or neon sign indicating you are the good guy. You are a potential threat in a tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving situation. Armed citizen, security, pain clothes LEO. Doesn't matter. There are no guarantees, but proper training for the plain clothes carrier vastly reduces these sorts of incidents.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-13-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Auto correct corrections
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Curious, does a "security " shirt and hat mean you're automatically the good guy? How tightly regulated are they? Anymore then the CCW badge?

How many people who carry in plain clothes, regardless of job function or employer, are trained and practiced on dealing with responding uniformed officers?

You do not have a halo or neon sign indicating you are the good guy. You are a potential threat in a tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving situation. Armed citizen, security, pain clothes LEO. Doesn't matter. There are no guarantees, but proper training for the plain clothes carrier vastly reduces these sorts of incidents.
    You can order “Security” gear from a lot of sources. I just typed “security shirt” into Amazon and got pages of hits.

I can understand how one might get stuck thinking “But I’m the good guy!” when officers are yelling at you to put your gun down. Doubly so if you were expecting to be treated as a partner. It would look like deliberate noncompliance.
    Last edited by peterb; 11-13-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Here are a couple incidents involving security guards. Obviously we don't have all the details of this shooting yet (so I'm wondering how some people have decided it wasn't a "good shoot"), but it definitely sounds like a tragedy.

User Tag List