Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Practical Rifle Standards/Drills

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    I'm sure we could refine into many more categories or quibble over range; in many environments I suppose the 300 yd demarcation point ought to be closer to 400 yds.
    The landscape where we live is IMO a prime consideration.

Where we live in NH the landscape is uneven and heavily wooded. As I walk the anything-but-flat dead-end road we live on, finding a potential shot longer than about 100 yards is almost non-existent. As I drive the local roads (they're predominantly curvy and hilly through densely wooded terrain), it's mostly the same with few exceptions where a true long-range shot potential exists. Bottom line is if trouble comes to my neck of the woods, it's most likely going present itself in the 25 to 200 yard envelope.

If we lived in flatter/more-open part of the country, it would drive my gear selection and skill building efforts differently.

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Excuse me if this has been covered already- are snap caps necessary for AR dry fire practice? Thanks.

Not for centerfire AR's as far as damage to the firing pin.

Rimfire AR's absolutely need a snap cap to prevent firing pin breakage. Any model that uses the Ceiner style bolt and firing pin (pretty much every .22 AR out there) is very susceptible to firing pin damage from very little dry fire.

I do use snap caps/dummy rounds in my AR anytime I'm doing some version of ball and dummy to ensure I'm not influencing the rifle on snap shots, rapid doubles for 100 yards & in or precision shots.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    So I debated starting a new thread or doing a bit of necromancy on a as Monty Python would say - "Mostly Dead" thread. Obviously I chose the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Going from a ready position to hit on 8" steel at 100yds in a constrained time (say, 2 seconds or less) is a very useful skill.
    I agree - from my days hunting to my time in the military I have often considered the ability to take a quick snap shot out to 100+ yards to be one of the most useful practical skills.

I use the Paul Howe Standards as my base line for my personal rifle program. It is a good start but does not include the 100 yd and 50 yd "snap shots" that I want to include. So basically I am wondering what most here would consider a good par time for such a shot on an "A" zone or 8 inch circle? The Howe standards at 7 yards are 1 second which is fairly attainable but as the distance increases....... @ASH556 mentioned 2 seconds which I would consider an extremely lofty goal but I'm wondering just how realistic that is for the average proficient rifle shooter. Is 3 seconds a more realistic goal? What about at 50 yards?

Does anyone know any departments or training standards that have such a drill?

To me "practical rifle" is a rifle you actually use. I know lots of folks hunt with ARs. I have. My bil got his last couple bears with his 6.8.

For me it's the efficient use of whatever rifle I am carrying. Whether it's a bolt action sporter or lever action carbine. I don't really "carry" ARs any more besides 3 gun.

Reloading a bolt or lever gun is slower so I look at efficient manipulation.

I like to be able to mount the rifle from single handed low carry like I carry in the woods and get hits on 8" targets offhand at 100 yards quickly, then reload and kneel and do it again.

User Tag List