Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical Rifle Standards/Drills

I'm very much interested in this topic too, thanks for posting it.

The term "practical rifle" in my mind is the use of a rifle for defensive purposes. Once you mentioned .300 Win Mag I'm not sure what kind of practical rifle craft you have in mind, so what follows may not pertain.

All competent training is good, but in my opinion each of us have to adapt what we learn to our specific circumstances. The chances of me having to use a firearm to defend myself is pretty unlikely, and the chances of using a rifle to do so are mighty remote. If a deadly force self-defense scenario unfolds for me, it will most likely involve the pistol I'm carrying.

While learning to "run a carbine" rapid-fire with multiple magazine changes at pistol engagement distances is a good skill to have (it seems the vast majority of AR training is based on this), I think of "practical rifle" more in terms of using the AR at 50+ yard distances from cover and a variety of improvised positions (over the hood of a car, from behind a tree, sitting, kneeling, prone, etc.). I also believe that for the civilian, practical rifle craft should leverage the main advantage of using a rifle - the ability to make quick and accurate hits at long(er) distances. In my case, I focus my skills to do so in the 50 to 200 yard range.

This line of thought then drills down to the equipment level. There are some very obvious trends in AR accessorizing that nearly everyone seems to follow, but defining the role of your "practical rifle" can help avoid a lot of unnecessary equipment expenditure and experimentation, and help identify what skills need to be built/mainatined.

Great topic but I truly believe it needs to start with an honest assessment of what the intended role of the practical rifle is for you. My apologies if this is outside your intended discussion.

One option would be to shoot some rifle matches, like PRS, Kettle Falls, or the Findlay Cup.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-13-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I'm very much interested in this topic too, thanks for posting it.

The term "practical rifle" in my mind is the use of a rifle for defensive purposes. Once you mentioned .300 Win Mag I'm not sure what kind of practical rifle craft you have in mind, so what follows may not pertain.
    I could have better drafted the initial question: we've got at least two different threads here, both of which are interesting to me. One is AR/defensive rifle (25-100yds?) which I think may be closer to pistolcraft and the other is more focused on hunting in the 100-~300 yd envelope. The third, which I explicitly did not have in mind would be something closer to precision rifle/long range which would be, I think, roughly 300-1000+ yd. I'm sure we could refine into many more categories or quibble over range; in many environments I suppose the 300 yd demarcation point ought to be closer to 400 yds.

Part of my motivation is that aside from two classes, I have very little formal "rifle education". Last week a fairly accomplished rifle shooter gave me a few very positive compliments on my technique which surprised me -- I think of myself as quite mediocre. This made me wonder where I should be putting my (very limited) time and effort.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Whether it's carbine, hunting, or precision rifle, the aligning of the sights, dialing of the turrets, and pulling of the trigger can all be developed fairly quickly and don't tend to degrade. The trigger control is probably the most perishable skill of those three and most rifle triggers are way easier to shoot than your average pistol trigger. Work pistol a lot and you don't need to practice rifle trigger control.

Now, dialing 600yds and hitting a static target under range conditions vs doing the same on a potentially moving target under field conditions are completely different. The only way to work on a lot of that is time in the field. However, if you can't do it under range conditions, you probably won't do it under field conditions.

It sounds like you probably have a fairly solid base. To cross it over to pistol for a second:

I know how to draw. I've put in enough reps that I'm unlikely to ever forget how to draw. Now, my performance draw from concealment do a certain target at a certain distance is a more perishable skill. What may be 1 sec when regularly practiced will degrade to 1.2 or 1.4 without regular tune-ups.

Establishing a shooting position, especially improvised, and acquiring a sight picture with a rifle under field conditions is similar to the draw. With a rifle, it's not so much the speed of shot cadence that matters. I can regularly and easily run .10 and .11 splits with a carbine. That's got a very limited usefulness. Going from a ready position to hit on 8" steel at 100yds in a constrained time (say, 2 seconds or less) is a very useful skill.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Excuse me if this has been covered already- are snap caps necessary for AR dry fire practice? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Going from a ready position to hit on 8" steel at 100yds in a constrained time (say, 2 seconds or less) is a very useful skill.
    I agree.

For practice (and fun) with the AR I have an 8-inch round steel plate that I hang at various distances - 50 yards for quick hits standing; 100 yards off-hand, kneeling and sitting; 200 yards prone.

For my .308 precision bolt gun, it's all prone (bipod and rear bag) at 400+ yards. I could spend hours contemplating/analyzing each shot and fire less than 20 rounds in a session. When I'm working the AR prone with a bipod and bag, it's much the same.

Being able to hit stuff far away with a rifle is a lot of fun, and undoubtedly a useful skill.

Good thread idea, and excellent timing. I literally spent the last few weeks rereading the "Scout Rifle Circa 2016" thread. With the current political climate worsening everyday, I think a good bolt action + skills to use it are a good idea, so I jumped in and ordered a Tikka in 308 yesterday. I feel similarly about the shotgun, which is next in my ongoing utilitarian safe makeover.

My wife and I have taken Gunsite 270 twice, and Randy Cain’s practical rifle class. The first 270 was taught by Jeff Cooper in 1991, before we went to Botswana on honeymoon. Both classes highly recommended. The Gunsite facility is extraordinary.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For entry level AR accuracy work, I like the FBI Patrol Rifle Bulls Eye course:

Target is FBI Bullsye (B8 with 10-7 scored)

50 yards
    Start standing, move to prone, 10 rounds in 90 seconds

25 yards
    Standing, 10 rounds in 60 seconds

15 yards
    Standing, 5 rounds in 15 seconds

7 Yards
    Standing, 5 rounds in 7 seconds

The next level is the VTAC 100 yard Aggregate.

Another good set of reasonable standards are Paul Howe's instructor standards:
    http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/standards.htm

Good collection of courses:
    https://progunfighter.com/wp-content...-Sept-2015.pdf
    Last edited by John Hearne; 11-13-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    With the current political climate worsening everyday, I think a good bolt action + skills to use it are a good idea, so I jumped in and ordered a Tikka in 308 yesterday. I feel similarly about the shotgun, which is next in my ongoing utilitarian safe makeover.
    I too have a Tikka page bookmarked. With a 1:8 twist suitable for 75/77 grain loads, the .223 offering is mighty tempting too.

"Utilitarian" is my goal as well. If something doesn't serve a specific purpose or role, it gets replaced with something that does.

User Tag List