Thread: How many primers should I pop before I deem my reduced main spring reliable?

How many primers should I pop before I deem my reduced main spring reliable?

My new woods bumming companion is a 4" GP100. It actually had a surprisingly good trigger out of the box, but last night I dropped in a Wolff spring kit.

Today it successfully popper 50 CCI primers on my wadcutter handloads, as well as another 50 rounds of Winchester .357 Silvertips.

How many rounds before I deem it good to go?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Up to you, but I always like ~250 rounds of my preferred carry round. Alternatively, get some Magtech .357, which has pretty hard primers. If it pops 100 of those, I'd guess it'll continue to go bang.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Look up Iowegan's Book of Knowledge on the GP100. Go through it and smooth out the stuff that needs smoothing out. You'll be happy you did. My MC exceeded any and all reasonable expectations I might have had when I did that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've read the GP100 Book Of Knowledge, and had contemplated the trigger job he explains, but for the moment, I'm satisfied with what I've got.

I don't know that I want to bust out 250 rounds of Winchester Silvertips, but I was thinking 200 or so CCI primers might be a good start.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

My experience is that light strikes usually appear pretty quickly after a spring swap. I’d agree with your approach- a couple hundred rounds of practice ammo, CCI having reportedly the hardest primers. Then a box of carry ammo to be sure.

User Tag List