Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dardas closing

Dardas closing

Dardas Casting has closed their doors and everything is for sale.

I've used them for years and will miss their quality product.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Dardas Casting has closed their doors and everything is for sale.
    I've used them for years and will miss their quality product.
    I know, I went looking for them the other day, and it looks like he even didn't renew the www site to say thanks for the memories. Makes me wish I had been more proactive about ordering all of those 38 bullets I fantasized about loading up after I shot up all the stuff I have loaded

I found Missouri Bullet Co. to be a good replacement. They make bullets to a non-standard size on request and shipping is fast. Their Brinell hardness is a bit above average too.

I'm surprised that bullet companies focused solely on traditional lubed bullets are able to survive in today's market where coated bullets offer so many advantages.

I chatted with the owner of Missouri bullet company several times on Facebook and he says 70% of his sales are for coated bullets.
    Last edited by andre3k; 11-13-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I'm surprised that bullet companies focused solely on traditional lubed bullets are able to survive in today's market where coated bullets offer so many advantages.

I chatted with the owner of Missouri bullet company several times on Facebook and he says 70% of his sales are for coated bullets.
    The owner of Dardas was adamantly against coated bullets. They used to have an entire page devoted to it on their website. I spoke with him several times on the phone and I think it's more a case of getting old and tiring of the grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The owner of Dardas was adamantly against coated bullets. They used to have an entire page devoted to it on their website. I spoke with him several times on the phone and I think it's more a case of getting old and tiring of the grind.
    Yeah I remember reading that years back.

There is currently a fad that has developed concerning the use of powder coatings to coat cast bullets for whatever reasons. Powder coatings are extremely hard and contain fine abrasive material. The main ingredient of powder coatings is Barium Sulfate. It is a fine white powder that has the same hardness as chalk and synthetic aluminum oxide. These compounds are excellent fine abrasives especially when high pressures are applied. The melting point of Barium Sulfate is 1580 degrees Centigrade. My point is that Barium Sulfate remains in its original powder form even after the binding polymer has reacted. I would never run this material through any of my barrels unless the intention was to firelap them. If you want to firelap your barrels, then by all means, please do use powder coatings. Or, contact Dave Tubb. He has been offering firelapping kits for quite a long time. The kit will save you a lot of money. We will not be participating in this current fad as we will not be responsible for ruined barrels and trigger groups.

Anyone who's shot cast/lubed vs cast/coated will probably say that polymer coating is the way of the future. Heck even Federal is offering loaded ammo with a coated bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Anyone who's shot cast/lubed vs cast/coated will probably say that polymer coating is the way of the future. Heck even Federal is offering loaded ammo with a coated bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    CCI is even offering .22 LR ammo with polymer-coated bullets. I am a fan as the fouling is greatly reduced in my .22 LR rifles and pistols.

I don't know of a serious target shooter using coated bullets, no plated, either. They stick with plain cast or splurge on jacketed.
    But for coarse work like IDPA, USPSA, and duty/carry practice, they are great.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I don't know of a serious target shooter using coated bullets, no plated, either. They stick with plain cast or splurge on jacketed.
    But for coarse work like IDPA, USPSA, and duty/carry practice, they are great.
    Off topic a bit, but what's the rationale for that? Because I've always had significantly better accuracy with FMJ opposed to coated lead.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List