Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Easy on/off OWB Holsters?

Didn't Dark Star Gear once have an OWB with soft loops?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Closed soft loops, not quick on/off. We used a coated webbing to keep things narrow and adaptable, they just happened to look like the RCS QMS.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I have one...

Thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ar-OWB-Holster
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Could always grab a paddle holster or look at owb hooks.

Attachment 32317

I’ll be honest in that I’ve never tried them and haven’t the slightest idea how they hold up.
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Those hooks are hot garbage.
    Did you have a bad experience with them? A used holster I picked up came with a set of these, and while they are not ideal they seem to work for the interim until something better comes along.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Did you have a bad experience with them? A used holster I picked up came with a set of these, and while they are not ideal they seem to work for the interim until something better comes along.
    They're wide and they don't stay attached to the belt as well as most here would prefer.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    They're wide and they don't stay attached to the belt as well as most here would prefer.
    Definitely wide. I haven’t had any issues with mine riding up off the belt, but I don’t have a lot of miles on them - only on a holster mostly used on the range, but I have carried it for 30 days total or so. I’m really looking forward to seeing what Tony comes up with.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

My observation of someone else using the OWB hooks showed that as soon as you hit the ground they’re very likely to come off. Probably fine for just holding your pistol on the range doing standing drills, but if you do anything like, for example, rifle shooting from grounded positions, your pistol is likely to come detached from you. For specific context, my father-in-law and I were taking a carbine course and I pointed out that his holster was half detached after a grounded drill.

Again, probably just fine if you only need something to draw from while standing. I’d avoid them for anything beyond that.

ETA - as for the main topic I’d definitely love to see a JMCK solution. I don’t currently use an OWB holster, but I use OWB carriers for rifle mags and extra pistol mags. Those being quick on and off but still secure is ideal - I’m currently using a DIY solution with normal PTD loops but I know Tony is much more capable than me...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, a paddle is of no interest to me for at least 3 reasons (sticks out too much, not secure, sweaty).

@Tony Mayer, do you have any plans to make an OWB holster using the QMS snap loops? I dug through my box-o-holsters and found an old Raven Phantom for a G17 that I had set up that way. It does work well. The thing I don't like about it is how wide it is on the belt. My ideal OWB would be the JMCK OWB 2 (pictured in my post at the top of this thread), but with QMS loops.

Thoughts?
    My experience with Safariland paddles is they are "easy on" "very difficult off", I only tried them as they came with the holstesr but good luck jerking one out of position without dropping the pants and fighting with it.
    I don't use them and have no problem putting holster slots on a belt.

The Ulticlips, we use them for several things in an industrial construction setting and they work well and are very secure for work several hundred feet in the air and you don't want to drop things. They do have metal edges. The only holster I've used them on never moved but I still prefer correct size belt loops.

Privateer Outcast:

Best, Jon

If you don't need retention, and are good with a paddle holster, I have used various Kramer horsehide MSP holsters for almost 30 years. I suspect their belt scabbard and vertical belt scabbard would also work well, but have not tried them.

Galco holsters are not bad a lower price scale and without the wait.

User Tag List