Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RFI: Electric Drills, Cordless & Otherwise

More experience, perhaps favoring the cheap tool route...

Today I used the Sawzall I bought on a lark two times, first to cut up a down limb at Mom's house, then at our friends installing cabinets with a long flexible blade to trim off shims flush with the wall. I also used the saber saw and circular saw (another thing I bought, just like what the hell, it is $40...) cutting countertops. And in the process of cutting the countertops I used both of the flashlights. These portable tools are way more handy than I thought. That Dewalt combo Tom posted the link to would seem awesome. Anyway, just glad I got a bunch of options instead of having one super-duper drill that will do anything forever, not saying that is a bad thing.

Another thing about these, once you take the plunge with one system you can get enough batteries to finish a project. With five like I have you can start out with several tools ready to grab, but also be pretty well assured you will not be unwinding a cord to finish the project...

Makita.

Get a drill & impact driver combo. Impact drivers are positively amazing.

Cordless saws are a waste of money, IMO. They suck too much power for anything more than more than one-offs and very small jobs. For those I use a Japanese hand saw.

Batteries are expensive and can be only be recharged so many times.

I recommend a corded drill also. If you anticipate mixing mortar for tile or masonry work, you may want to look at a 1/2” hammer drill. I’ve been using a DeWalt 3/8” VSR for 20 years.

The convenience of cordless tools is awesome, but can’t compete with their tailed ancestors when it comes to power.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'm leaning this direction. Any thoughts on 1.3ah, 1.5ah, 2ah vs. 4ah batteries?

Okie John
    More ah = more power longer.

Ms. Okie came home with a Hitachi 18v drill for me this afternoon.

Life is good.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter

Thanks!

I was in the market for a new cordless drill set and found this thread to be highly informative. I bought this Dewalt combo: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK299...iver+combo+kit at Murdoch's in Rock Springs, WY for $250. The Dewalt rep highly recommended the 5.0 Ah batteries for longer run time. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    The Dewalt rep highly recommended the 5.0 Ah batteries for longer run time.
    Good choice of kit!

My thoughts on batteries are...

It's definitely good to have a higher capacity battery for those times when you're away from the charger. For me, that's doing tasks around the property, or at the in-laws, etc.

But I *really* prefer the smaller batteries in the shop. The battery can get heavy for repeated tasks, and I find I prefer having a 2.0 in the tool and another(s) on the charger than hoisting around the bigger battery.

it's also good to have a bigger battery if you get into any of the bigger tools like sawzall, circ saw, angle grinder, etc. They tend to burn through more juice, faster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    IME, if you're going to use a hammer drill a lot, say in concrete, you need something with a cord and a lot more ass than a cordless.

For work at home, I can live without a driver.

As someone mentioned for home use, the second tool to get is the sawzall. Great for limbs, cutting down small trees, and really works great cutting roots (just have spare blades).
    I bought a corded Milwaukee Sawzall in '13 when I demo'd three baths and my kitchen for a remodel. The thing is a beast. Saved me a bunch of money doing my own demo work and paying the pros to do what I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Good choice of kit!

My thoughts on batteries are...

It's definitely good to have a higher capacity battery for those times when you're away from the charger. For me, that's doing tasks around the property, or at the in-laws, etc.

But I *really* prefer the smaller batteries in the shop. The battery can get heavy for repeated tasks, and I find I prefer having a 2.0 in the tool and another(s) on the charger than hoisting around the bigger battery.

it's also good to have a bigger battery if you get into any of the bigger tools like sawzall, circ saw, angle grinder, etc. They tend to burn through more juice, faster.
    Agree 100% on this. For most shop stuff the small batteries are more than sufficient, and a fully charged one is a lot better than a 1/3 full 5 amp battery. That 5 Ah battery also gets pretty heavy when you're holding it at awkward angles.

Buy a hi cap but also get 2 small ones. Comes in handy as well if you're drilling and driving with 2 separate tools.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 12-17-2018 at 06:19 PM.

I'm an electrician and my type of employment has always been industrial. I've had better luck with Milwaukee than anything else but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Bosch. Get the biggest battery. That said for home use I don't have any battery tools. The batteries fail and are expensive. Milwaukee warranties them for two years I think and pro rated. That's about how long they have lasted me. Always buy commercial tools. They will last the homeowner a lifetime.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List